TKD anyone

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was training some people yesterday, a man walks in and says TKD anyone and we all stopped and looked at him. I said yes we teach TKD and he replys the deadly art of faking out your opponet. ... so I ask him to show me what is best for me and my school and he begains with I can get you certified to be a MMA instructor so you can make some real money all it will take is 2500.00 and a couple of weeks training with him.

Oh, how I enjoy irony.

Why does people come in and do things like this? The good thing it was most of my adults and BB so no wories about loosing anybody. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

There could be a variety of reasons why a person would do such a thing. I have seen many people so foolish things in over 20 years in Taekwon-Do. I have personally seen my instructor just shake his head and ignore people who have come by the class and made comments so immature that you'd have thought they were second graders, not adults. A lot of people are lacking when it comes to self-confidence and this can manifest itself as being completely without social graces (or honor), as in the case you experienced.

Good example of self-control, by the way :)

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
Realistically you dont just train in MMA. I have several gyms around me who are teaching "MMA". Realistically all they are teaching is a ground grappling class, like BJJ or Judo something of this effect. If you are training MMA and never had martial arts training your missing a whole world! MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts which brings different arts together to see which one is better. Instead of limiting TKD to TKD and BJJ to BJJ.

So what Im getting at is why would you need some fake MMA certification to train MMA artist? Why not just train your students to be able to defeat a ground fighter before they get taken to the mat? Same difference. If your TKD fighter faced a BJJ fighter, this is a MMA match. I personally just think this guys gym is failing and he was trying to scam a sucker into paying his bills!

Long story short....Great Job!:asian:

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
you know it is ashamed in this day and age we still have people like this.

Indeed, no wonder martial/fighting arts have a bad name in some quarters if we have to have idiots like this amongst us.

Nicely handled Terry and a good example to your students of how martial artists should conduct themselves.

I wonder how many schools he's been to that have offered him out onto the mats...and how many of those offers to demonstrate his 'superior' knowledge he's taken up. Methinks not many times. I suspect that there's a person that definitely falls into the category of being able to "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk".

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Indeed, no wonder martial/fighting arts have a bad name in some quarters if we have to have idiots like this amongst us.

Nicely handled Terry and a good example to your students of how martial artists should conduct themselves.

I wonder how many schools he's been to that have offered him out onto the mats...and how many of those offers to demonstrate his 'superior' knowledge he's taken up. Methinks not many times. I suspect that there's a person that definitely falls into the category of being able to "talk the talk" but not "walk the walk".

There's a certain mindset that sees everything as a commodity to be branded, marketed and moved off the shelf, no matter what it is, that most of us on MT will never understand when it comes to the MAs. It's just a completely different world view. There's no common language between someone like Terry on the one hand and the guy who invaded his dojang so rudely (and stupidly).

I've heard people say that if only everyone spoke the same language, we'd have universal peace, because then people would understand each other and the miscommunications that are supposedly the source of all conflict would cease. Not true. Terry and this nasty piece of work spoke the same language, all right, but the difference was far deeper—all about fundmental outlook on the world and on what values are important. That's where conflicts really arise from, and it's not going to change, as long as human beings have individual identities. But the moral of the story, that I'm seeing anyway, is that just because you're confronted by corrupt behavior doesn't mean that you have to let it wreck your day. In retrospect, this guy was a cockroach on Terry's dobok, and he was content to brush it off and let it scuttle away... would that we were all so cool and composed about such things, eh? :eek:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was training some people yesterday, a man walks in and says TKD anyone and we all stopped and looked at him. I said yes we teach TKD and he replys the deadly art of faking out your opponet. I was trying to be nice and decided I would let my second carry on class and talk to this man. I went over and guess what he is a MMA guy that believes TKD and Karate sucks, so I ask him to show me what is best for me and my school and he begains with I can get you certified to be a MMA instructor so you can make some real money all it will take is 2500.00 and a couple of weeks training with him. I thanked him and politely said no and showd him the door. Trying to be nice when someone is down playing your school is hard but I did make a promise to my BB and wife that I would be more patienece this year an I was. Why does people come in and do things like this? The good thing it was most of my adults and BB so no wories about loosing anybody. Just wanted to get that out of my system.

Well you showed true martial spirit Terry. You were patient, considerate, and nice to the guy who was trying to get a rise out of you or was just an utter moron. You have my respect man. The best way to beat an antagonizer is to show him that he doesn't bother you.

Latest Discussions