Is Olympic TKD Fun to Watch?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
And they failed. What they ended up with was a mockery of the art of TKD that has made TKD pracitioners a laughingstock to those who "don't understand" the sport.
This may be true, and I won't argue this by any means. So now how can they fix it? That is what I want to know.

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fun to watch?...not for me.

I thought it was quite vulnerable and there were numerous openings in many areas, however, in OTKD's defense, I veiwed it from self-defense Ju-Jitsu eyes. (Different style with totally different objectives, training and techniques).

Michael

Gizmo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Olympic TKD for me is a boring sport as well. Granted, the fighters have speed and precision, but last time I watched some Olympic fights on DVD I spent most of the time using the fast forward button to avoid all the waiting and skipping on the spot.

Being both Olympic TKD and WAKO Kickboxing instructor, I prefer by far watching point-stop competitions like in WAKO. They don't really resemble a real fight, they're a game of tag, the contact is very limited, but there is action - shorter rounds than in Olympic TKD, more active fighters, more different techniques, coloured uniforms - definitely more of a spectator sport to me.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Watching Olympic TKD fighting is sort of like watching NASCAR. You are basicly waiting for that really cool crash (or in TKD...knock out).

Not all MMA or boxing fights are spectacular either. How many times have seen MMA fights where they are on the ground and not doing much or boxers who tend to just circle around and throw a punch every now and then?

Latest Discussions