Think Faster and Act Faster...

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
I think faster and act faster.
I don't cross bridges until I encounter them.

These are two *tangible* skills I've noticed that have vastly improved in myself across the entire duration of my own martial practices - and that I'd attribute to various martial arts practices. Better still, these are transferrable skills outside of the dojo and personally I try to consciously tap into these skills at work, when driving, when immersed in family emergencies, when falling off rock-faces and of course when fraternizing with the local NEDs...

I mention this because I had a discussion the other evening on whether some long-term students were practising through habit or through benefit. See, I think sometimes, we attend our schools and clubs because that's just what we do on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that's in opposition to applying focus on the gains we're making all the while.

It matters not to one's practice either way, I'm simply wondering if the potential real-life benefits are being fully utilized. I mean, if we don't automatically realize we've updated and improved on our skills, we perhaps don't automatically call them into action when they're needed.

I believe our TMAs have deficiencies in some areas but the practice has great merit [and greater potential] and is far from "inherently useless" as has been the rumor in certain places. Can you tell me, are you reaping tangible benefits in yourself as a result of your martial arts practice? Have you recognized them in yourself? And if you'd care to share, I'm interested to know.

Respects!
When I spar I am very much against trying new techniques, you must "react naturally", then if the technique comes out then you know your are getting better. I have trained in a specific technique for months before it ever showed itself. Train until it becomes muscle memory, only then will your technique be true.

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
When I spar I am very much against trying new techniques, you must "react naturally", then if the technique comes out then you know your are getting better. I have trained in a specific technique for months before it ever showed itself. Train until it becomes muscle memory, only then will your technique be true.
Thanks DeLamar.J!
Yeah I'd agree - there's nothing worse than forcing a technique that doesn't feel natural because of its unfamiliarity to your muscular and nervous systems - it takes away too much mental focus and % total concentration from the bigger task [ie. the fight itself]. But having said that you don't try new techniques when they're new, how do you know when you are ready to use them? As I suggested upthread, do you find there's some point in which it all sort of "comes out in the wash" and the little lightbulb goes on above your head? Is there a point at which you become conscious of the new skill and then think, "Right, I can use that and I will use that," or is the entire process through to the technique becoming imprinted into your muscular circuits all a subconscious one?

What do you think?

Respects!

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Thanks DeLamar.J!
Yeah I'd agree - there's nothing worse than forcing a technique that doesn't feel natural because of its unfamiliarity to your muscular and nervous systems - it takes away too much mental focus and % total concentration from the bigger task [ie. the fight itself]. But having said that you don't try new techniques when they're new, how do you know when you are ready to use them? As I suggested upthread, do you find there's some point in which it all sort of "comes out in the wash" and the little lightbulb goes on above your head? Is there a point at which you become conscious of the new skill and then think, "Right, I can use that and I will use that," or is the entire process through to the technique becoming imprinted into your muscular circuits all a subconscious one?

What do you think?

Respects!
If there is a particular technique that I am wanting to add, I practice it with drills or one steps. I will go over it countless times, executing it from every possible angle I can think of. Eventually, during free spar, the technique will show itself, providing you have drilled it enough.

SAVAGE

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would have thought that Mushin made you react faster?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fascinating question!

Something that I learned from my ex was how to see both sides of a disagreement, and how to work towards an agreeable compromise before the argument escalates. While my social life has not been (ahem) that great since my divorce, the best metric that I can see is my interaction with other people...whether in a friendly basis or in the office. Since I've been training, I've been better able to stay calmer in a tense situation, and can often think things through with a different perspective because my mind stays calm.

Other aspects, I'm definitley more confident and more resilient, and I think that applies on the mat and off the mat :)

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
SAVAGE said:
I would have thought that Mushin made you react faster?
Thanks SAVAGE,
I'd agree that there's an intuitive flow associated with this sort of subconscious mind state. But I'd also suggest that more power and intent can be potentially focussed into any action [in a fight or in RL] when there is conscious thought *ahead of time* whether that be the day before confronting your boss or the split second before executing a technique against an opponent. I'm not arguing against mushin no mushin, I'm just looking to make personal improvements! :asian:

Respects!

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Fascinating question!

Something that I learned from my ex was how to see both sides of a disagreement, and how to work towards an agreeable compromise before the argument escalates. While my social life has not been (ahem) that great since my divorce, the best metric that I can see is my interaction with other people...whether in a friendly basis or in the office. Since I've been training, I've been better able to stay calmer in a tense situation, and can often think things through with a different perspective because my mind stays calm.

Other aspects, I'm definitley more confident and more resilient, and I think that applies on the mat and off the mat :)
Many thanks Carol Kaur!
For me, it's so encouraging to hear anyone taking their martial arts teaching and successfully employing it away from the mats - and without wanting to sound facetious, I'm certain if the same utilization is applied to something as apparently non-martial as one's social life, it may also yield results!!

Can I ask you, since you've evidently got a very measured approach, do you head off into situations [that you might not have done otherwise] with confidence and foreknowledge of what you can do or does it "just so happen" that you're good in certain situations? I mean, I believe that we don't always take time to draw up an inventory of our always-improving skillset. We have a tendency to take things somewhat for granted which unfortunately means that a lot of new gains are never fully realized. For example, if we think we're rubbish at interacting with new people, we may be more inclined to stick with friends at work. We may still hold onto this negative belief even despite the fact that we've become increasingly gifted at welcoming new souls into our dojos etc. Again, I'm not sure if that's a particularly good example but maybe it goes some way to making the point?

What do you think?

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I think it's about our social roles in certain situations. Our dojo is like a second home for us, or more like a familiar place, where we are comfortable. We are in that confident mindset when meeting new people, or we're all in the same boat, trying to accomplish something (training), where teamwork is required.

Outside of home or the dojo, out in public your mindset maybe different. We're out in limbo, away from the familiar, in a more "myself" mindset. How you feel normally about yourself will tanslate outward to others. As an example, It's also what alerts predators to target you, if you "look" like a victim.

I don't know. I just think about the different versions of "me", that show up, depending upon where I'm at, what I'm doing, or who I'm interacting with. I guess, unless you're an "alpha" you'll assume different roles to accomplish something. (From what I remember, the alphas don't usually Train, they just "are", if that makes sense?)

I could be off or not explaining what I'm thinking correctly, but, It's the 3rd shift, I'm tired, and having a busy shift.
icon7.gif

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
I could be off or not explaining what I'm thinking correctly, but, It's the 3rd shift, I'm tired, and having a busy shift.
icon7.gif
Thanks HS!
Apologies for taking you up on your side note above, but oddly I find that that's when I have some of my most er... connected moments where ideas sort of knot and meld together in unusual ways - when in a daydream or when extremely tired or lacking sleep - it's as if the mind get's bored hanging around idly and goes off exploring on its own. Alas, one is seldom in a fit state physically to appreciate these great moments of mental astuteness and lateral thought. Wouldn't be the first time I'd thought of something that roused me from a stupor and thought, wow! that was brilliant; revelatory... now, what exactly was it again? But you've got the benefit of recording on MT here so you can keep 'em coming and revisit them in your "waking" hours!

Actually, I like the image conjured by what you describe as "the different versions of "me", that show up", that's cool, like a line from a novel - the sort of idiosyncratic [and IMO, way more lucid and interesting] train of thought that's far better induced by working the third shift than by doping up on daytime caffeine...

Respects!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Many thanks Carol Kaur!
For me, it's so encouraging to hear anyone taking their martial arts teaching and successfully employing it away from the mats - and without wanting to sound facetious, I'm certain if the same utilization is applied to something as apparently non-martial as one's social life, it may also yield results!!

If I can build up enough energy and confidence to overcome my shyness, you may be on to something good :D

Can I ask you, since you've evidently got a very measured approach, do you head off into situations [that you might not have done otherwise] with confidence and foreknowledge of what you can do or does it "just so happen" that you're good in certain situations?

It just so happens that I'm good in certain situations. I'm too much of an analytical thinker. I recently helped a friend move. Fine. She just got promoted and mentioned she was stressed at how often she has to go to NYC. I found a new way for her to get there. She loves it. Ask me to find my car in a crowded parking lot or put me in a new social situation and I'm all thumbs.

I mean, I believe that we don't always take time to draw up an inventory of our always-improving skillset. We have a tendency to take things somewhat for granted which unfortunately means that a lot of new gains are never fully realized. For example, if we think we're rubbish at interacting with new people, we may be more inclined to stick with friends at work. We may still hold onto this negative belief even despite the fact that we've become increasingly gifted at welcoming new souls into our dojos etc. Again, I'm not sure if that's a particularly good example but maybe it goes some way to making the point?

What do you think?

Respects!

You had me thinking about this for the last day or so. I think in a large part you are right. I'm actually a very outgoing person and make friends very quickly. But after a long term relationship and a divorce....eh...dating isn't what it was like the last time I was truly single. And that is a dynamic that I'm still struggling with. While I never took a break from meeting new people, I took a very long break from meeting someone that could potentially be very special in my life. And those are very difficult skills to reestablish.

Respects :asian:

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I'm too much of an analytical thinker.
Yep, only an analytical thinker would say that. To everyone else, the ability to think analytically is an automatic pluspoint!! :) But you're correct, in that it's easy to get caught in a feedback loop of thinking about how we're thinking... If you follow.

See, now you've got me thinking...
If there exist certain autonomic physical responses that we train in MA and that become ingrained deep in our subconscious as a consequence of that training [and this is what I'm trying to get readers to think about on a conscious level] maybe there's a similar pure mental state [consisting of thoughts alone] that needs to be worked in the physical realm to clarify them and make them more concrete and tangible... Maybe that's just a convoluted way of saying quit thinking what you're thinking and start acting on your impulse!

Carol Kaur said:
You had me thinking about this for the last day or so. I think in a large part you are right. I'm actually a very outgoing person and make friends very quickly. But after a long term relationship and a divorce....eh...dating isn't what it was like the last time I was truly single. And that is a dynamic that I'm still struggling with. While I never took a break from meeting new people, I took a very long break from meeting someone that could potentially be very special in my life. And those are very difficult skills to reestablish.
I'd have to take you up on that point - not so much to disagree but to restate such that the skills [IMO] are always there inside us but we just might not be in the right state to be a vehicle for those skills at a particular time. In your MA, you may have forgotten a technique but the technique is still in you. I play piano - by ear not by sight [I can barely read a note] I train my MA the same way: I've got many books, I've trained under some brilliant instructors, I've attended dojos in my country and others and I take on whatever instruction I can but I'm happier "playing by ear" - I need to get outside and try stuff for real, I need to know what I learn can actually be done and I don't just mean felling random passers by in the street - the question I ask of myself is can I really live the way I'm trained? Can I operate within that framework of techniques and philosophies or is my art nothing more than a diversion?

When I play by ear, the melody is clearer and stronger and I've found that I have little stomach for the pure theory of learning. OK, nothing revelationary there perhaps so the question is, how do I recall pieces I've forgotten - which happens frequently? Well I've got several methods but the best involves beginning a piece at any part that I *can* recall [there's always some bit that's right there] and once I'm off and running, I try to ride the wave / go with the flow of the piece by focussing on one particular aspect: the meter, the keysig or the actual dynamics - anything really to take attention away from the purely technical process of playing. In fact, I find the more I concentrate on the technical processes, the more inhibitive I find it is to the correct recall. Hoping that makes sense.

Well, good luck with all your thumbs ;)

Respects!

Latest Discussions