Red Dragon Karate

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello -

I have two sons, 5 years old and 6 years old. I want to get them started in a karate school that teaches good self defense but also stresses disipline, respect etc, etc in a structured environment.

There is a Lou Casamassa'a Red Dragon Dojo a couple of miles from my house and I was wondering if there is anyone that has experience and/or knowlege of this Karate chain. Pro's and Con's.

This is my first post on this forum and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never heard of them, the best thing to do is go in sit in a class or two to see if this is what you would like for your childern.
Also you should go to the meet and greet section to introduce yourself.
Terry
PS by the way Welcome and happy posting

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Have you thought about "JUDO" this is very good for young kids to learn first.

Learning how to fall and roll. Plus because it it hands on..they will learn quickly. Visit a Judo class nearby if there is one?

Just my thoughts on this (My son does Judo and it have develop him with lots of confidence and discipline) ........Aloha

PS:Judo is consider a gentle art! research this?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If this is who I am thinking, then I may have stumbled across their website. If you know that they have a website, please let us know so we can review it.

If I am correct in who I think this may be, then in my opinion, you should run away and never look back.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a Lou Casamassa'a Red Dragon Dojo a couple of miles from my house and I was wondering if there is anyone that has experience and/or knowlege of this Karate chain. Pro's and Con's.

The Red Dragon schools that I have seen are very into sport karate, and thats not a bad thing, but may not be what you are looking for. Actually, looking at your criteria, it isn't what you are looking for, but those qualities may be present. The standard caveat applies, EVERYTHING depends on the instructor. Attend a class (preferably a couple), look at the students, their behavior, and what they are studying. I would also recommend you go alone, you don't want your kids sold on the place before you are.

Somewhere on this site we have a guide with "watch out" signs for newbies visiting a school, but I can't find it. Can anyone help with this?

Lamont

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
If this is who I am thinking, then I may have stumbled across their website. If you know that they have a website, please let us know so we can review it.

If I am correct in who I think this may be, then in my opinion, you should run away and never look back.

OK, my mistake, I was thinking of White Dragons of Bushido. I found their website again. Horrible stuff. This guy claims to have been a student of Lou Casamassa.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
OK, my mistake, I was thinking of White Dragons of Bushido. I found their website again. Horrible stuff. This guy claims to have been a student of Lou Casamassa.

Oh, that guy. I saw him throw a cursing hissy-fit at a tournament which got him banned from the local circuit. That being said, he turned out some very good sport karate guys, several of whom now run their own schools down there.

Lamont

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Oh, that guy. I saw him throw a cursing hissy-fit at a tournament which got him banned from the local circuit. That being said, he turned out some very good sport karate guys, several of whom now run their own schools down there.

Lamont

Ron Bennett? I've never met him nor his people, but his whole website just smacks of self-glorification.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Ron Bennett? I've never met him nor his people, but his whole website just smacks of self-glorification.

Yes it does. Incidentally, there are or were at least two of his ex-students on MartialTalk for a while.

Lamont

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Yes it does. Incidentally, there are or were at least two of his ex-students on MartialTalk for a while.

Lamont

Right-o. Well, I guess I've expressed my impression of his website, if they are still around and wish to comment further, I'll leave it to them.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to thank those of you who have responded. There doesn't seem to be a highly negative opinion of this school (there is also a USSD school close by but I recall a thread here a while back with alot of negative remarks about it).

I did check out Ron Bennett's (sp?) site and am not quite sure what to make of it?? Lou Casamassa's Red Dragon site doesen't seem too bad. Seems to be geared for kids which is kinda what I want at this point in their training.

As I mentioned in the Meet and Greet thread, I am from Southern Calif (Los Angeles) and train in Kung Fu San Soo. Although I teach my kids a little here and there I would like to get them into a Martial Arts program for kids as the KFSS studio I train at doesn't take kids under 14.

Still looking forward to hearing from anyone who has 'been there, done that' at Red Dragon.

Thank you

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
QUI-GON said:
I want to thank those of you who have responded. There doesn't seem to be a highly negative opinion of this school (there is also a USSD school close by but I recall a thread here a while back with alot of negative remarks about it).

I did check out Ron Bennett's (sp?) site and am not quite sure what to make of it?? Lou Casamassa's Red Dragon site doesen't seem too bad. Seems to be geared for kids which is kinda what I want at this point in their training.

As I mentioned in the Meet and Greet thread, I am from Southern Calif (Los Angeles) and train in Kung Fu San Soo. Although I teach my kids a little here and there I would like to get them into a Martial Arts program for kids as the KFSS studio I train at doesn't take kids under 14.

Still looking forward to hearing from anyone who has 'been there, done that' at Red Dragon.

Thank you

The Red Dragon chain is very sport oriented, and pretty expensive. Having one in the city I teach in, I get quite a few of their students, adult and kids.
Thru the City of Diamond Bar, there are two karate programs. I teach Kajukenbo, and Jerry Short teaches Shito Ryu. The minimun age for my youth classes is 8, but Jerry accepts students at 6 years old. Jerry is a long time black belt of Fumio Demura's, so his background is excellent.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is very sport orientated, I have seen Chris Casamassa (his son)compete many times. I would not recommend this as a traditional art.

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've never been to his school but I've never heard anything negative on Lou Cassamassa or his son Chris (who was a top rated forms and weapons competitor in NASKA).

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I'll check out Mr. Shorts program. Not very familar with Shito-Ryu but it sounds like it's worth looking into.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
QUI-GON said:
Thank you for the replies. I'll check out Mr. Shorts program. Not very familar with Shito-Ryu but it sounds like it's worth looking into.
Shito-Ryu is a very good traditional art, and if the instructor comes from Demura Sensei's line, then it can't be all that bad ;)

Latest Discussions