Think Faster and Act Faster...

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think faster and act faster.
I don't cross bridges until I encounter them.

These are two *tangible* skills I've noticed that have vastly improved in myself across the entire duration of my own martial practices - and that I'd attribute to various martial arts practices. Better still, these are transferrable skills outside of the dojo and personally I try to consciously tap into these skills at work, when driving, when immersed in family emergencies, when falling off rock-faces and of course when fraternizing with the local NEDs...

I mention this because I had a discussion the other evening on whether some long-term students were practising through habit or through benefit. See, I think sometimes, we attend our schools and clubs because that's just what we do on Tuesdays and Thursdays and that's in opposition to applying focus on the gains we're making all the while.

It matters not to one's practice either way, I'm simply wondering if the potential real-life benefits are being fully utilized. I mean, if we don't automatically realize we've updated and improved on our skills, we perhaps don't automatically call them into action when they're needed.

I believe our TMAs have deficiencies in some areas but the practice has great merit [and greater potential] and is far from "inherently useless" as has been the rumor in certain places. Can you tell me, are you reaping tangible benefits in yourself as a result of your martial arts practice? Have you recognized them in yourself? And if you'd care to share, I'm interested to know.

Respects!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly respond a bit quicker. I am less quick to anger. I am somewhat more graceful and sure of myself without being cocksure. My focus is a bit clearer.

Although I do not consciously integrate MA into my day-to-day, I notice it, now and again, retrospectively.

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I certainly respond a bit quicker. I am less quick to anger. I am somewhat more graceful and sure of myself without being cocksure. My focus is a bit clearer.

Although I do not consciously integrate MA into my day-to-day, I notice it, now and again, retrospectively.
OnlyAnEgg, thank you! That's interesting in itself and makes me wonder if your real-life and MA-life aren't consciously integrated, do you think there's any case where you might consciously *separate* or compartmentalize them?

If there's a retrospective real-life realization: "Hey, I've just done kung fu," -as it were- might one's performance be even better if there was aforethought?

Respects!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I approach both MA and rl with a Christio-Zen attitude. Things are what they are and I can only respond as I see fit, hopefully with the flow of it all. In this sense, everything is integrated and there is no distinction. It's all life.

However, in regards to afterthought vs forethought, I firmly believe that integrating MA or MA philosophy (as it differs from my general philosophy) without foreknowledge is far more indicative of how I have incorporated my training. By trying to think of how I can integrate MA in situations that may arise, I place myself in a competitive position. Standing opposite, as it were, of the natural flow, which I try to do without much thought.

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Well, I approach both MA and rl with a Christio-Zen attitude. Things are what they are and I can only respond as I see fit, hopefully with the flow of it all. In this sense, everything is integrated and there is no distinction. It's all life.

However, in regards to afterthought vs forethought, I firmly believe that integrating MA or MA philosophy (as it differs from my general philosophy) without foreknowledge is far more indicative of how I have incorporated my training. By trying to think of how I can integrate MA in situations that may arise, I place myself in a competitive position. Standing opposite, as it were, of the natural flow, which I try to do without much thought.
Also very interesting and actually, that's something I hadn't considered coming from an essentially non-competitive art: that a practitioner might wish to keep *conscious* MA training separate from the other bits of their lives because it may encourage competitiveness against the essential Zen-flow. As you say, if the crossover happens, it happens and if it happens to the good, all the better. Does this in any way imply though that the particular MA you practise places you contrary to your natural flow and the flow of your daily life? Or is there an implicit tide or flow in every art that can be ridden without effort? If that's the case might this MA "aforethought" help in the RW?

I suppose the flip side of that coin is for someone wishing to up their competitive ante in real life [job, sports, dating whatever?], integrating MA that they do on the mats with the MA they do off them might be a good thing.

Respects!

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i don't brawl anymore if i can help it. but my practice keeps me patient, energetic and focused. when i'm challenged, i remind myself to be the person my grade school students think i am.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have found over the year they are as one, if you are aware of your teaching.
Terry

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
i don't brawl anymore if i can help it. but my practice keeps me patient, energetic and focused. when i'm challenged
Thanks bushidomartialarts
So, to paraphrase, your travels with the arts have given you patience, energy and focus. Is this a ever reason or motivating factor for your continued practice? You evidently enjoy what you do but do these benefits ever give you additional encouragement or are they taken as a given? And do you imagine the same would hold for your students?

bushidomartialarts said:
i remind myself to be the person my grade school students think i am.
I think that's a great point, succinctly made - we're human and prone to err after all but it doesn't stop us trying to aspire beyond that in order to inspire our kids. Nice one!

Respects!

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I have found over the year they are as one, if you are aware of your teaching.
Terry
Thanks Terry! Do you make a conscious effort to be aware of those special skills that your art has given you? Would you have ever specifically stopped to take stock of what you can do now that you couldn't when you first started out? I'm wondering to what extent we take these great self-improvements for granted?

Respects!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
...does this in any way imply though that the particular MA you practice places you contrary to your natural flow and the flow of your daily life? Or is there an implicit tide or flow in every art that can be ridden without effort? If that's the case might this MA "aforethought" help in the RW?

I suppose the flip side of that coin is for someone wishing to up their competitive ante in real life [job, sports, dating whatever?], integrating MA that they do on the mats with the MA they do off them might be a good thing.

Respects!

I would say that my art, Karate, does not place me contrary to the flow at all. It has it's own current in the larger stream of my life within the great river of life itself. Is there a tide and flow to every art? I would hazard a gentle 'yes', provided the art has attended the flow. I can imagine that there are some arts (rather, styles) that do not move naturally, as a whole; but, I do not believe that they can last long. Something as deep and defining as a martial art has to, in some way, follow the natural way of things.

And I have known people that do compete strongly in life and they can incorporate ma philosophy in the workplace, especially. Witness the widespread use of Sun-Tzu's Art of War in corporate America.

:asian:

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
I would say that my art, Karate, does not place me contrary to the flow at all. It has it's own current in the larger stream of my life within the great river of life itself. Is there a tide and flow to every art? I would hazard a gentle 'yes', provided the art has attended the flow. I can imagine that there are some arts (rather, styles) that do not move naturally, as a whole; but, I do not believe that they can last long. Something as deep and defining as a martial art has to, in some way, follow the natural way of things.
Agree totally. I believe many of us take our flow on the mats or in the ring out into the big world. In my experience though, many practitioners do this subconsciously. And while this can be a good thing in itself [integration of physical, physiological and mental responses from our MA training into our psyche], I feel those benefits that we gain through our practice could be capitalized upon and bring *greater* overall benefit to us if their use was planned rather than being that hindsight realization that what we've just done right there was an offshoot of our MA training. What do you think?

OnlyAnEgg said:
And I have known people that do compete strongly in life and they can incorporate ma philosophy in the workplace, especially. Witness the widespread use of Sun-Tzu's Art of War in corporate America.
A valid point indeed. Actually on a side note, is this a bad thing? Would you see this as a contortion of the original intent or is the application [of MA and the fighting arts] open to any valid interpretation?

Respects!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Agree totally. I believe many of us take our flow on the mats or in the ring out into the big world. In my experience though, many practitioners do this subconsciously. And while this can be a good thing in itself [integration of physical, physiological and mental responses from our MA training into our psyche], I feel those benefits that we gain through our practice could be capitalized upon and bring *greater* overall benefit to us if their use was planned rather than being that hindsight realization that what we've just done right there was an offshoot of our MA training. What do you think?

I see no harm whatsoever in planning use of ma philosophies in real life at all. I merely described how I've seen it in my life and how I feel about it. In fact, as things grow more naturally for me in ma, I can easily imagine a point where conscious application in rl will be as natural as deciding whether or not to turn at one intersection or the next.

MartialIntent said:
A valid point indeed. Actually on a side note, is this a bad thing? Would you see this as a contortion of the original intent or is the application [of MA and the fighting arts] open to any valid interpretation?

Respects!

I see this as a valid application of Sun-Tzu's text. Corporate America is a warzone and Tzu's description of war strategies applies itself elegantly to that battlefield. By extension, philosophies and strategies of ma can be applied in a variety of areas. It depends soley on the individual's interpretation and his training. Knowing how and when to utilize such, it seems to me, is an advanced application.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One becomes less afraid...more sure of themselves..willing to help others...more focus on life ahead....

Learning the martial arts...builds a person to become a better person...

As far as "think faster" and "act faster"..as long as it is more wisely done!

Life is very short...enjoying life can be long. Every new day..for some ,it is new..others just another day...it is how you see it!

24/7..911..are just numbers, it does effect many lives..when mention...

My numbers started with 1 (day one is born) ....so far 19100 days and still counting ...Aloha

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, One becomes less afraid...more sure of themselves..willing to help others...more focus on life ahead....

Learning the martial arts...builds a person to become a better person...

Thanks still learning!
Do you think practitioners pay attention to the sort of skill acquisitions you mention? Do we use those skills with intent or simply accept them as part of our overall make up?

still learning said:
My numbers started with 1 (day one is born) ....so far 19100 days and still counting ...Aloha
still learning, 19100? Wow! I'd have never taken you for a day over 10950! ;)

Respects!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank-you, It would be nice to be 30 years old (10950 days) again.

Do I believe people practice for good intentions? Yes! because martial arts is about self-development, self-growth.

To be there just to learn to fight....and destroy others...these people do not understand the princlples of the art of war?

Mankind still is in it infancy..fight or flee mode of thinking, to solve its many problems. We need the ability to stand strong. (to let others know we can fight back).

Until the time comes where we do not need to practice the martial arts for self-defense by for enjoyment and health reasons....this is when man will know what peacefullness is about....Aloha

PS: There are many of us who still believes learning the martial arts is the means to a peacefull and long life.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Comming up in the inner city, The tangible benefits of the arts were apparent to me early on. The most tangible benefit is that I'm still here. Sounds immature, I know, but, I do mean it . It gave me a strong mind to deal with the negatives, keeping me out of prison, or the graveyard. (for now, at least)

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Comming up in the inner city, The tangible benefits of the arts were apparent to me early on. The most tangible benefit is that I'm still here. Sounds immature, I know, but, I do mean it . It gave me a strong mind to deal with the negatives
Thanks Hand Sword!

I imagine you and I have similar backgrounds. Do you think that once you realize what you've got and how your skillset has grown, you're 1). more inclined to use it consciously and 2). there's an increase in its potency.
I mean, I think if one doesn't realize recognize the actual level of proficiency one has, then the full force of that skill cannot be imparted. Often I feel that it's only with hindsight that we recognize that the positive action we've just taken is as a result of our MA training - and I mean not just in martial situations but in everyday life itself, if that makes sense...
Hand Sword said:
keeping me out of prison, or the graveyard. (for now, at least)
What, you mean you don't plan to live forever? ;)

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Thanks Hand Sword!

I imagine you and I have similar backgrounds. Do you think that once you realize what you've got and how your skillset has grown, you're 1). more inclined to use it consciously and 2). there's an increase in its potency.
I mean, I think if one doesn't realize recognize the actual level of proficiency one has, then the full force of that skill cannot be imparted. Often I feel that it's only with hindsight that we recognize that the positive action we've just taken is as a result of our MA training - and I mean not just in martial situations but in everyday life itself, if that makes sense...

What, you mean you don't plan to live forever? ;)

Respects!

Yes, you make sense to me. I would agree, from my experience that it was retrospect that I realised it. It then becomes part of the conscious mindset and control, the next time the situation came up, and the results were at least duplicated or, yes, even better.

OP
MartialIntent

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hand Sword said:
Yes, you make sense to me. I would agree, from my experience that it was retrospect that I realised it. It then becomes part of the conscious mindset and control, the next time the situation came up, and the results were at least duplicated or, yes, even better.
Yeah, I'd agree that first realizations of what we can do as a result of our training normally occur in retrospect - for me this is because of a pervasive cynical attitude with being told "practise this and you'll be able to do that to this guy" or "think like this and you'll be ready for that situation" for example. My automatic reaction is a "probably not" and because of that, the thought gets put to the back of my mind. It's only after practising that technique [or working that mindset] that subsequently it all sort of comes out in the wash. That's the revelation for me - the epiphany. From then on, it becomes a conscious thing - in my example of thinking faster, I know now that I can take more pressure and let deadlines slip a bit more [what can I say, I'm a procrastinator!] with the foreknowledge that I can pull it back at the last minute. Trivial everyday example but I hope it makes the point.

Respects!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Point Taken. When a stimulus occurs, you just respond. You think about it after, and what adjustments need to be made, if needed, for the future. I would say that the benefits become a part of you (the subconsious level), revealing themselves later.

Latest Discussions