They are called The Falkland Islands ...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wait till he gives the speach where he tells the British that they just have to give the Falklands back. I don't think Obama's contempt for the British can be emphasized enough. He really thinks that it is time for the third world countries to get what is owed to them. To do this he is willing to let the United States go into a steep decline, and he is willing to withdraw support from our allies. I can't wait to vote to get this guy out of office.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue, I think you misunderstand the diplomatic significance of the President and his foreign policy people calling the Falkland's the Malvinas. It's not just a case of "What's in a name". But then the Patagonian Indians may have actually been there first so...

That useage of title has been the point-of-the-sword in this tussle for a very long time. They are the Falkland Isles, not the Malvinas and for the American President to use the latter term gives incentive for the Argentinians to have another go at taking them by force.

Of course, the present US administration has been very weak in such matters of protocol and meaning ever since it came in so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But if I am you can bet that the politico's in Argentina are.

Last time they had a need for a 'miltary victory' to boost their standings, this happened:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6499565.stm

It's probably best if that didn't happen again, so a stronger message from our 'Ally' for the Argentine's to look elsewhere for their PR would be a good move.

Nope did not misunderstand a thing...I simply do not care... Would you feel better if he called it the Sebald Islands since it is likely the Dutch were the first Europeans to see it... and name it.. and lets not forget the Patagonian Indians who were likely the first to find it...

Too many real big issues going on around the world and about the world for me to care much at all… Countries at war, melting ice caps, 3rd world diseases popping up in first world nations. Economic collapse possible the possible collapse of the euro looming …sorry but if Obama called them Hawaii I may think he was a bit ridiculous doing it but I would not care…. Now if it makes you feel better I once again take full responsibility for any bad thing, indiscretion or act of idiocy that our president has made and offer you a full and rather seriously sounding apology….. Sorry about that….yup it is the Falkland…. However the indigenous people that it was likely first taken from may disagree but that is a historical debate that is not really necessary to get into right now and I doubt that the some of the inhabitants (Penguins and sheep who I believe out number the people) know what it is called by any human but then that too is stuff of another post….so again terribly sorry Obama used the wrong name for the islands I will call him immediately and chastise him severely for doing so…. now back to those people of Britain who still refer to the USA as the Colonies.... can you fix that for us because it is really annoying and to some of the USA rather insulting.

EDIT

One more thing...why didn't you post a similar thread when Hilary Clinton made a stupid remark about the Spratlys and ticked of China as well as a few other East Asian countries. Now that was a bit of a major Diplomatic debacle but I saw no post then complaining about US idiocy…which frankly it was much the same as this incident is and there is not thing one anyone that reads MT, who lives in the USA, can do about it because we don't matter to those in power beyond out vote which the all lie to us to get.

Last edited:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow, Sukerkin. Welcome to my world. I imagine Israel and britain could share stories about how badly they have been treated by Obama. I mean, you guys are two of our strongest allies, Britain in particular was with us in a couple of little wars called world war one and two, and have been slogging it out with us in the sands of Iraq and Afghanistan. A little courtesy and respect would be appreciated dont' you think. The misnaming of the Falklands was intentional, it was not a miscommunication and it was meant to send another anti-british message to Britain.

I may be mistaken but Sukerkin probably did not comment on Hillary's remark because he is not Chinese. And in Hillary's case it probably was a mistake. She and her husband are probably still on the Chinese payroll even after all this time.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not your normal reasonable self today, Xue. I am sorry to be a source of annoyance.

As far as I am concerned you are well off-beam with your thoughts but I shall not try to argue with you about them.

All I would gently suggest is that you read a bit about the history of the islands and then form your views.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By calling them anything but the Falklands Islands, Obama gave validity to the Argentine claim to the Islands. The only reason there has been relative peace in the area is because Argentine finally found democracy a couple of decades back, and has tried to clean up its act.
There were no naïve inhabitants of the Islands, the only reason they have a population at all is because of settlers from the UK. In some ways much better then how North America, South America, Australia and NZ were settled, they never murdered, contaminated or displaced the native population.
Don’t worry Suk, not all your allies have forsaken you.
canada_flag.gif

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
but all kidding aside....what map was he (or his staffy) looking at to come up with 'that other' name?!!

Somebody showing ff his 'knowledge'?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
There were no naïve inhabitants of the Islands, the only reason they have a population at all is because of settlers from the UK. In some ways much better then how North America, South America, Australia and NZ were settled, they never murdered, contaminated or displaced the native population.

Let's not forget the wholesale slaughter and extinction of the Falkland Islands Wolf.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd never heard of the other name before. Always been Falklands to me.

and to Robin Williams who used to joke about sheep being war brides..... (don't hit me Suk, I'm on your side...least until the jelly babies run out. :D)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
but all kidding aside....what map was he (or his staffy) looking at to come up with 'that other' name?!!

Somebody showing ff his 'knowledge'?

No, someone (or more likely a team of someones) trying deliberately to make a political point. I don't think wiki is off the mark with this:

The Falkland Islands took their English name from "Falkland Sound", the channel between the two main islands, which was in turn named after Anthony Cary, 5th Viscount Falkland by Captain John Strong, who landed on the islands in 1690.[5] The Spanish name, Islas Malvinas,[6] is derived from the French name,[7] Îles Malouines, named by Louis Antoine de Bougainville in 1764 after the first known settlers, mariners and fishermen from the Breton port of Saint-Malo in France.[7] The ISO designation is Falkland Islands (Malvinas) and its ISO country code is FK.[8]
As a result of the continuing sovereignty dispute, the use of many Spanish names is considered offensive in the Falkland Islands, particularly those associated with the 1982 invasion of the Falkland Islands.[9] General Sir Jeremy Moore would not allow the use of Islas Malvinas in the surrender document, dismissing it as a propaganda term.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can guarantee some monkey intern in the government said that Malvinas is a Spanish name/translation for the islands and no one checked their work.
In international politics, everything you say is watched, and matters, regardless of how simple it all may seem for those of us on the fringes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can guarantee some monkey intern in the government said that Malvinas is a Spanish name/translation for the islands and no one checked their work.
In international politics, everything you say is watched, and matters, regardless of how simple it all may seem for those of us on the fringes.

Considering that probably a lot of them kids think Alaska is right next to Hawaii....it surprises me that they even found an alternative name for the islands...

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hopefully in 2012 the united states will pass the kidney stone that is known as Barak Obama and we will return to respecting our long standing friends. The world he sees is not the world that actually exists. The Iranians, Russians and venezuelan governments are not the good guys and Britain, Israel and the united states are not the bad guys. I hope we vote him out in 2012 and can then try to repair the damage to our international relationships.

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Between Bush last time and Bammers now. You folks are really fracked when it comes to choosing Presidents.

OTOH, as much of a douche as I now believe Bammers to be, I still think he was the best choice out of the candidates in that particular election.

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As much as I disliked McCain, he would not have been the problem that Obama is. he would have been bad, but just not as bad as "The One." And there was always the chance that Palin would have run after mccains four years were up.

Latest Discussions