They are called The Falkland Islands ...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13803111

Can someone remind your President that that little group of islands in the South Atlantic is NOT called the Malvinas.

We paid for them in blood last time there was a weak Argentine leader who wanted a "short victorious war" to prop up popularity at home.

They are British subjects and want to stay that way, other than one man whose father is no doubt now turning in his grave.

If it comes to a shooting war again, will we be able to call on a bit more support than we got last time from America?

With Obama cosying up to the Argentinians that doesn't look likely and as we got rid of our aircraft carriers we'll have to start mobilising early (using the airstrips we built there after last time).

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Marc, you do realize that Obama is vehemently anti-colonialism? In his mind, the Falkland Islands are only 250 miles from Argentina, and over 7000 miles from England, so they must be Argentinian: Islas Malvinas, no matter what the people who live there want.....:lol:

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Damn it then, Canada has to retake St-Pierre and Miquelon from the French. After all, it is 10km from Canada. :uhyeah:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you anex Buffalo?

As to the Falkland's, I don't see the US getting involved.
1- Obama 'dislikes' the Brits.
2- No oil there for us
3- Probably already has a McDonalds so no reason to 'spread democracy'.
4- If we did get involved, they'd have to be freed, Haliburton given a 'no-bid' 'rebuild' contract, and some car bombs would have to go off first so we can claim we're 'fighting terror'
5- Did I mention Obama isn't too fond of our British allies?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, can those in Britain that still call the USA the Colonies please stop and while we’re at it could you stop calling an Elevator a lift and the hood of a car a bonnet and don’t get me started on what you call Cigarettes and the whole fanny pack debacle

I'm sorry but I don't care what you call them. We have enough trouble to deal with in the USA and enough trouble globally on an environmental scale to worry about. Sorry but if he called the Bob I would not care it is a name and makes him look foolish so what. The people of the USA have little power to change anything he says or does, at least for a little longer.

I know people fought for them and died for them and that their sacrifice should not be forgotten but it is a name and if the US president calls it by any other name, who cares it is not ours. I am also betting that Hu Jintao, Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev don't call it The Falkland Islands either so why is there no complaint about what they call it.... now post to all Chinese and Russians too and you might have something...but you know.... I still would not care

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13803111

Can someone remind your President that that little group of islands in the South Atlantic is NOT called the Malvinas.

We paid for them in blood last time there was a weak Argentine leader who wanted a "short victorious war" to prop up popularity at home.

They are British subjects and want to stay that way, other than one man whose father is no doubt now turning in his grave.

If it comes to a shooting war again, will we be able to call on a bit more support than we got last time from America?

With Obama cosying up to the Argentinians that doesn't look likely and as we got rid of our aircraft carriers we'll have to start mobilising early (using the airstrips we built there after last time).

Wasn't it 29 years ago that the US told Britain that they couldn't win the war over the Falklands and they did anyway.
I can't believe Argentina have the brass balls to demand talks over souverignty. They should've thought more about 'talks' before their soldiers took photos of themselves smiling while standing on the heads of Royal Marines they had lying on the ground.
When it comes to US intervention from Argentina trying the same trick again, the President should remember that the US owes Britain for Iraq and Afghanistan, (Including Desert Storm) and even if Obama doesn't want to play ball, the Argies should realize that the new conservative leadership in 2012 will.
Oh, and the bastard who took that Argie citizenship should be kicked off the island.
I hope to God, I'm deployed to that one!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you anex Buffalo?

As to the Falkland's, I don't see the US getting involved.
1- Obama 'dislikes' the Brits.

5- Did I mention Obama isn't too fond of our British allies?
I don't think that is it. I don't think he really dislikes the Brits or the Israelis. I think he is one of those people who is so full of himself he has very little regard for anyone else.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When reading the title, I thought someone had mispronounced the Falkland Islands' name, like my teacher did in 6th grade... UC instead of AL, it was a memorable day...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When reading the title, I thought someone had mispronounced the Falkland Islands' name, like my teacher did in 6th grade... UC instead of AL, it was a memorable day...

LOL, now what ever did the little rock in the middle of nowhere turn out to be called that fateful day?
:lfao:

(maybe that's why the dude called them Malvinas....so the perma detractors could not photoshop him saying a bad word on TV?)

(what do they fight over over there anyhow? Can't be the couple of sheep running around there...)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You have to remember that the USA is spending more than 10 million a day against a nation we are not at war with but have troops and bombs attacking. Oh excuse me we are simply help out across the ocean in that country.
Why wouldn't we want to help out defend something much closer. Thats right Oil and a chance to bring more refugees here to support.
As had been said before if it will make him look better and get votes or campaign funds he will side with whom ever can do the most for him

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wasn't it 29 years ago that the US told Britain that they couldn't win the war over the Falklands and they did anyway.
I can't believe Argentina have the brass balls to demand talks over souverignty. They should've thought more about 'talks' before their soldiers took photos of themselves smiling while standing on the heads of Royal Marines they had lying on the ground.
When it comes to US intervention from Argentina trying the same trick again, the President should remember that the US owes Britain for Iraq and Afghanistan, (Including Desert Storm) and even if Obama doesn't want to play ball, the Argies should realize that the new conservative leadership in 2012 will.
Oh, and the bastard who took that Argie citizenship should be kicked off the island.

Maybe he thinks getting rid of the Chinese and securing Libyan oil is enough of a payback?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/30/libya-oil-shell-megrahi
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/eef58d52-3fe2-11e0-811f-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1PYJXSEul

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There isn't going to be a new conservative administration in 2012. :)
Sean

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There isn't going to be a new conservative administration in 2012. :)
Sean
I can still hope can't I?
icon7.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marc, you do realize that Obama is vehemently anti-colonialism? In his mind, the Falkland Islands are only 250 miles from Argentina, and over 7000 miles from England, so they must be Argentinian: Islas Malvinas, no matter what the people who live there want.....:lol:

So are we going to go after the Danish so we can give Greenland back?

Can all non Native American Heritage person's also leave North America if people are against colonialism?

So why does the President also ask the question to have a committee established to have a 51st sate made of Puerto Rico. Should not they be independant or go back to the Spanish or something?

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue, I think you misunderstand the diplomatic significance of the President and his foreign policy people calling the Falkland's the Malvinas. It's not just a case of "What's in a name".

That useage of title has been the point-of-the-sword in this tussle for a very long time. They are the Falkland Isles, not the Malvinas and for the American President to use the latter term gives incentive for the Argentinians to have another go at taking them by force.

Of course, the present US administration has been very weak in such matters of protocol and meaning ever since it came in so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But if I am you can bet that the politico's in Argentina are.

Last time they had a need for a 'miltary victory' to boost their standings, this happened:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6499565.stm

It's probably best if that didn't happen again, so a stronger message from our 'Ally' for the Argentine's to look elsewhere for their PR would be a good move.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Xue, I think you misunderstand the diplomatic significance of the President and his foreign policy people calling the Falkland's the Malvinas. It's not just a case of "What's in a name".

That useage of title has been the point-of-the-sword in this tussle for a very long time. They are the Falkland Isles, not the Malvinas and for the American President to use the latter term gives incentive for the Argentinians to have another go at taking them by force.

Of course, the present US administration has been very weak in such matters of protocol and meaning ever since it came in so maybe I'm reading too much into it. But if I am you can bet that the politico's in Argentina are.

Last time they had a need for a 'miltary victory' to boost their standings, this happened:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6499565.stm

It's probably best if that didn't happen again, so a stronger message from our 'Ally' for the Argentine's to look elsewhere for their PR would be a good move.

Maybe this day and age they just look for a willing intern to divert national interest....no, wait, that only works here....:rolleyes:

(I remember the conflict but I think even back then at the tender age of 14 it didn't make much sense - in either direction I might add: A stinking rock in the middle of the ocean with more sheep than people....but traditions go a long way, and who am I to say they can't feel British....(heck, I hear some folks still feel closer to Germany than anything else, even though their ties had been cut in 1918...))