The USAT vs AAU war has reached a boiling point.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found on Ms. Sweet's website:

friello_letter_1_of_4.jpg

friello_letter_2_of_4.jpg

friello_letter_3_of_4.jpg

friello_letter_4_of_4.jpg

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man it is coming down hard, why can't we all get along with dinity?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man it is coming down hard, why can't we all get along with dinity?

Ego and money. Its not like this is good for the art/sport or its practitioners. It's a bloody shame it has to come to stuff like this :(

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always thought Herb Perez was a complete and total wanker.....

reason 424 why studying WTF style tkd, and chasing the olympic dream is a waste of time

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WOW, I stopped reading after the first page. That letter is embarrassing. That has got to be the worst grammar and sentence structure I have ever read from someone leading a national organization. The first paragraph is one long run-on sentence.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wow...I had always hoped that it would not come to this....I had always hoped that we could get both orgs to work together...It appears that wiil never happen

TKD_Stops_Tilt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree. This is a complete embarrassment for a national-level sports organization. I don't know what is happening to sport TKD in the United States, but it is nothing short of frightening. What I don't understand is why Mr. Friello would pen such a letter when AAU is "winning" because the USAT is driving members away. Unreal to say the least.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This letter does not reflect professionalism. I understand his frustrations but to document things in this way is not good.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree. This is a complete embarrassment for a national-level sports organization. I don't know what is happening to sport TKD in the United States, but it is nothing short of frightening. What I don't understand is why Mr. Friello would pen such a letter when AAU is "winning" because the USAT is driving members away. Unreal to say the least.

Because USAT is trying to brib current individuals to make the switch for gain with there athletes. They both need to grow up and remember it is about the athlete not them and there pity war.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Neither organization is winning; apples and oranges. The USAT is the NGB of sport taekwondo in the United States and the AAU is another sports organization doing taekwondo.
If you want to practice taekwondo and participate at local, regional and National level taekwondo events with excellent athletes then BOTH organizations offer this opportunity.
If you want to pursue athletics on a world level as an official US Team member and participate in World Championships and the Olympic Games then the USAT is the only way.

and chasing the olympic dream is a waste of time

For you I am sure but I would rather encourage excellence in my students rather than mediocrity.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ron, nice personal attack. Feel better now?

Look, make all the excuses you want to for this GARBAGE, but the athletes (notice i did NOT say martial artists) are getting treated like garbage, thier coaches are getting treated like garbage, all because a couple of orgs want to make more money

the net result is the same

olympic style is a waste of time, the olympics are dropping it, and you cant even compete on a national level now from the looks of it

Bones

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Reading that AAU letter was really disappointing.

On the one hand, if i were an AAU member, i would like to hear about the actual story from the primary parties rather than the 100th retelling from someone who knows someone that wasn't there but read about it, etc. However, any good you have done or could do is, in my eyes, being washed away when you send a letter like that out. Rather than having EVERYONE'S backing, support, understanding, you took a shot at your own people with an open invitation to alienation. Plain wrong.

He chastises Askinas but yet without realizing it, "Luke" is becoming his father (enter dramatic music).

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the discussion polite and respectful. If you feel that a person has violated the rules, the appropriate response is not to return fire in kind. Simply report it, using the red & white triangular Report To Moderator button at the top right of the post. It is neither necessary nor appropriate to brag that you've reported a post. If you have any questions about the policies - please contact any senior moderator or above.

jks9199
Sr. Moderator

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Southwick takes alot of heat from people why I have no clue. He is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, he is humble and lives what he says. This is not about Master Southwick but two orgs that are going about everythimg the wrong way, we need people that will stand up and be counted and remember it is all about the athletes.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Master Southwick takes alot of heat from people why I have no clue. He is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet, he is humble and lives what he says. This is not about Master Southwick but two orgs that are going about everythimg the wrong way, we need people that will stand up and be counted and remember it is all about the athletes.

You know in an ironic way this can almost describe the CHOAS within TKD. I learned along time ago, peope are ALWAYS gonna dissagree, be jealous, and buck the system. Instead of focusing on the problem at hand, we take on side agendas.

And as usual, there is always someone to stir the pot.

Right now, we have Chaos in Kukkiwon, Dissention between USAT and MAC, and a quiet WAR between USAT and AAU.

with all that experience and talent, if all involved parties could swallow thier ego and go in the same direction, we could be AWESOME!!!!

but, as long as people have hidden motives, jealousy, and a HUGE ego.... this will never end.
icon9.gif

Latest Discussions