Rhonda Sweet resigns from USAT as Grassroots Director

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
From Rhonda Sweet's website (ladytkd.com)

January 6, 2010

Dear Friends,

A New Year brings many new changes and challenges. I wanted you to hear my change from me. Effective this morning, January 6, 2010, I have tendered my resignation from the USAT Board of Directors. This was a difficult decision for me to make, but in the end, I know that it is the right decision for me.

As I am sure all or most of you know, I have not been happy with the direction of the USAT for some time now. I had thought that one person could make a major difference, but I learned one person can have a major impact, but it takes six to make a major change.

I have never been good at keeping quiet about things I feel are wrong. I am much better at being Don Quixote than Ms. GoAlong. I am not willing to make the compromises necessary to continue in the Director’s position. Granny’s theme for the last three years has been this organization needs a Ladytkd more than it needs another Director. I personally am not comfortable with many aspects of this organization, one I helped bring into existence. I cannot in good conscience be a party to, or be seen as someone who condones many of those actions I have fought privately these last couple years.

The last straw broke during the General Assembly in December. I sat in that room with feeling of dread and despair as I watched the presentation. As it continued I came to the sad conclusion that I was sitting on the wrong side of the room. I wanted to be on the other side of the room with those I have worked alongside for many years. When the Public Relations person hired by the CEO commented about the tension in the room, the reading of a powerpoint and the lack of disclosure, you know you are not alone in these feelings. She kindly made no comment about the lack of spellcheck on the presentation. I also did not tell her of some of the inaccurate statements I heard during the same.

I have many beliefs. One of them is that all members, whether they agree with or support the organization are equal. Those who don’t support or are not active present us with our best opportunity to improve. Whether or not a member also belongs to another organization should have no bearing on their standing with this organization. Anyone who belongs to two or more Taekwondo organizations is someone who has made a commitment to themselves or their students to embrace all the resources they can.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I also believe that without a strong foundation, the organization cannot stand. I have never believed in top down. Without the coaches, parents, referees and support, the elite athletes have only the limited support of the USOC. We are all in this together or we are nothing[/FONT]

I have issues with a spin that says that while 2009 membership is down 10% over 2008, that is okay as we are in line with 2007 – the year of the lowest ever membership numbers in the history of USTU or USAT.

As you all know I can go on and on and give example after example. Bottom line is that I cannot and will not be seen as condoning or being a part of any action that does not serve the membership as a whole or follow our bylaws. I did not work for as many years as I did to see “Old Boss/New Boss – Same Boss.” Consequently, in good conscience I cannot live with the requirement that the Board Members support each and every action as if they voted for it. As said before, I have never been good at being Ms. GoAlong and I never will.

There are a great many wonderful people in the USAT who want only the best for their students and their schools and the USAT as a whole. I have many good friends in this organization and I want them to know that I will still be here. If I can help in any way, you know how to reach me.

Sincerely,

Ronda J. Sweet

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to enjoy ladytkd's website. the high octane board had alot of good... and bad... things and gave out alot of information. I assumed it was a "shut-up and play" thing when she shut down the high octane portion and became a director at USAT.

so does this mean it will start up again?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes she is so tired of playing the game inside USAT and she deserve better. I have known her for years and she will be missed by alot of us.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to enjoy ladytkd's website. the high octane board had alot of good... and bad... things and gave out alot of information. I assumed it was a "shut-up and play" thing when she shut down the high octane portion and became a director at USAT.

so does this mean it will start up again?

Actually High Octane was started and run by Toby Oliver (World Championship TKD, in Cape Coral, Florida.)

As I understand it, the company that hosted the site went bankrupt and the site was not brought back because he didn't want to deal with the hassles of moderating it and keeping it a reasonably pleasant site to hang out on.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually High Octane was started and run by Toby Oliver (World Championship TKD, in Cape Coral, Florida.)

As I understand it, the company that hosted the site went bankrupt and the site was not brought back because he didn't want to deal with the hassles of moderating it and keeping it a reasonably pleasant site to hang out on.

well im not sure who it was. Ladytkd site had the link a few years ago... not sure when it dissapeared. but it was decent. kept you up to date on ustu/usat stuff. oh well. good to know.

thanks for the info.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Big News...Seems like allot of cotroversy at the USAT...My daughter wil be fighting in Colorado Springs this weekend should be very interesting....Seems much safer at AAU not as many bullets flying...

Last edited:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm....maybe something good can come of this?
icon5.gif

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
icon5.gif

I have my doubts.

"This org has issues, I can't change it so I'm going to take my take my ball and go home" is something that happens in business and civic organizations too.

Its rarely a catalyst for change.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
icon5.gif

I can see no good coming from this, she will do everything to spead the light about all that is gioing on behind the screen when she was there. This will be a downfall that will rip the USAT apart once again.

Latest Discussions