The true meaning of the black belt

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know now that earning your black belt is really just the beginning of your training as the black belt is a symbol to show that you have mastered all the basics but I used to think that a black belt was the ultimate achievement and that there should be no need for all the Dans but now I know why. Does/did anyone else feel the same way about what earning a black belt actually signified?

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
to me, it signifies the result of a lot of hard work. but also a realisation that 'its only just begun' :)

as you say, you've learnt all the basics and now you're ready to learn. or more concisely; shows you've been trained to learn.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know now that earning your black belt is really just the beginning of your training as the black belt is a symbol to show that you have mastered all the basics but I used to think that a black belt was the ultimate achievement and that there should be no need for all the Dans but now I know why. Does/did anyone else feel the same way about what earning a black belt actually signified?

When I first started the martial arts as a kid I felt the same way that you described that the black belt/sash were the pinacle of training, but the more years I studied I came to the understanding that earning your black belt is just another chapter in the journey. The acutal learning part never ends.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A black belt is a marker. Everything before is a set of directions for a journey. Everything after IS the journey.

Anyway, everyone needs a black belt as a staple part of their wardrobe as it goes with anything.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
It shows that Youve stuck with Training for a fair bit of time, and have reached a high position within that particular Outlet. Ill judge Your skill based on watching You, as compared to what I see watching You.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A black belt is a marker. Everything before is a set of directions for a journey. Everything after IS the journey.

Anyway, everyone needs a black belt as a staple part of their wardrobe as it goes with anything.

Wow. That's the best description I've ever heard.
(And the punchline....epic)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't trust the belt someone wears. I've met far to many, <ahem>, "black belts" and "masters" who had crap for any real skills and I've met copious numbers of mudansha who will gleefully take opponents apart as if they were tinker toys.

If you put on a black belt, you're telling the world that you have some sort of real skills. When I train with you, I'll know whether or not you're lying.

I don't trust the belt that someone wears, I trust the evidence of my eyes, ears, and body.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To me, the true meaning of black belt is an indication that you have trained hard, gained knowledge and wisdom. The longer you train as a black belt, the belt gets frail and white again. That means it is full circle always learning new things like you were as a white belt.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
like the white belt, and that belt is really more important. The black belt is just one more stepping stone on the path. each step brings its own challenges and rewords.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
The black belt only means whatever it took for you to get it. If it took hard work and dedication to achieve your black belt, then that is the importance of the rank. That someone else has a black belt around thier waist means next to nothing to me. It isn't really an indication of skill anymore with so many so called instructors willing to sell belts rather than knowledge. Even among the schools that award black belts to only thier skilled and quite trained students, there is still a great deal of variance in time trained and skills learned to get one.

Like many things in martial arts, it is the self that should be focused on. If you reach a rank and that means something to you, that's great. No one else's rank will mean exactly the same to them.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
like the white belt, and that belt is really more important. The black belt is just one more stepping stone on the path. each step brings its own challenges and rewords.
An example of which, would be Rewards. ;)
(I just woke up not long ago, and for some reason, the end there made Me laugh. :D )

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. When I first started, I thought 1st Degree was the goal. I learned that it is just a waypoint on the journey.

I use the analogy that 1st Degree is like graduating from high school. You're (hopefully) learned the basics. Now it's time to go to college and learn the art.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The true meaning of Black Belt is like going into College after graduating from high school, or you have learned the alphabets and now at black belt level you are putting words together.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Judo it just means you have been around for a bit but by no means a master or expert.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
For too many people, it is the end of their training. Once the big carrot is gone, the desire to continue fades.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For too many people, it is the end of their training. Once the big carrot is gone, the desire to continue fades.

Exactly. I have been to many schools which tangle that carrot.

Many of which having words or signs that read something like;

"We are a Black Belt School Striving for Black Belt Excellence"

or

"These students are part of the Black Belt Club, working for their Black Belt"
(There will be a sign with a list of the lower rank students, or a actual Black Belt with their names on it hanging on a wall)

But adults are just as worse.

Some think a 8th dan has twice as much experience than a 4th Dan.

Also, self claim titles such as Soke

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have always believed and still do that the belt is the bi-product of the work...as in what you put in is what you get out. TKD has reinforced my belief that the only way I can fail at something is if I don't try. The letters on the top edge of the mirror spanning the length of our dojang read YOUR GOAL IS TO 'BE' A BLACK BELT. Not 'get', not 'have', but BE in every sense of the word...so when we tie it around our waist, we know - definitively - that we have earned it and the journey will continue...

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have always believed and still do that the belt is the bi-product of the work...as in what you put in is what you get out. TKD has reinforced my belief that the only way I can fail at something is if I don't try. The letters on the top edge of the mirror spanning the length of our dojang read YOUR GOAL IS TO 'BE' A BLACK BELT. Not 'get', not 'have', but BE in every sense of the word...so when we tie it around our waist, we know - definitively - that we have earned it and the journey will continue...

No offense, but this is close to what I had posted in my last post here.

Hence the "Dangling Carrot"

"YOUR GOAL IS TO 'BE' A BLACK BELT."

The goal should not "BE" a Black Belt,

The goal should be; " Become a Better Martial Artist "

As it was almost interrelated to, a black belt is not the primary concern for martial art study

Imagine how many students a school would have if there weren't any belts or black belt?

Simply take away that goal of "self image", what's left.....?

The Black Belt is not the symbol par martial art excellence

Again, no personal offense.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense, but this is close to what I had posted in my last post here.

Hence the "Dangling Carrot"

"YOUR GOAL IS TO 'BE' A BLACK BELT."

The goal should not "BE" a Black Belt,

The goal should be; " Become a Better Martial Artist "

As it was almost interrelated to, a black belt is not the primary concern for martial art study

Imagine how many students a school would have if there weren't any belts or black belt?

Simply take away that goal of "self image", what's left.....?

The Black Belt is not the symbol par martial art excellence

Again, no personal offense.

Wow.....I hope you'll note that no where in my post did I mention self-image or symbol of excellence...my intent was to express the goal of not just the belt, but also the work, responsibilities, and path that we continue on once we BE-come black belts...BE-ing a black belt is not just the BE-ginning, but a moment that should be celebrated....of course, not the end all be all of our time in training....but absolutely, something to take pride in...it is definitely a learning process and I love the fact that I learn more at every training session...I consider it a privilege and an honor to not only learn from my instructors, but be trusted enough to help others along their journey as well...I also feel that is part of what BE-ing a black belt is all about.

I am sorry if my message was interpreted by you, but I hope this will help to clarify my intent.

***bows***

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said it best!

For myself, I see a black belt as a sign that you're finally officially a part of whatever school you're with and your real training begins there. Everything leading up to black belt is a test to see if you are worthy to actually learn what the art has to offer. For the record this is coming from a non BB so I'm still proving myself! :)

Latest Discussions