The Side Parry

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just found this. Not so different than what I was showing.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its an instructional video! What do you expect? There isn't room to move around much when we have to stay inside due to the weather. And again....see my post on the sparring drill to develop the side parry. How is this so different than blocking a punch with a Pak Sau when you aren't aware exactly when it's coming?
It's different because a punch can't kill you in a single hit. At least, it's very unlikely.

If it could, you would see people staying at extreme range, all the time, entering only long enough to strike and retreat back.

Playing pattycake with a 10 inch blade seems suicidal to me.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I suspect the slow motion goes with staying in the pocket - or rather, the other way around. In order to be able to make the technique simpler to view/easier to practice, it's done with a regulated environment that allows standing in the pocket. The same happens in every art/style/system I've seen, at the beginning level of most techniques. Watch the first intro of a single-leg, and it's never as chaotic as an actual match. It's also more static, less resisted, and slower. This is the same principle.
I'll give you that it is the same principle. Where I would diverge them is that in your single leg example you might just survive trying it in a situation where the other guy has bad intentions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give you that it is the same principle. Where I would diverge them is that in your single leg example you might just survive trying it in a situation where the other guy has bad intentions.
Fencers parry swords. This is the same principle, applied differently because of the nature of the weapon.

Reactions: KPM

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can you do it on command? Probably not.
I can't do anything on command. The one thing you never see from me is talking about the technique I'm going to do before I do it, and then have my sparring partner waiting form me to do it. If I want to do something on command then it's more like. "Today I'm going to show you how to punch to the face." Then get with my sparring partner and kick him in his nuts. Then I would follow up with "Today's lesson is that I can change my mind on what to show you, so as I have skillfully demonstrated, the effectiveness of being kicked in groin, end of lesson"

I wish I was skilled enough to where I could call stuff out on command and pull it off. That would be the true definition of unstoppable.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you haven't got the whole body speed, you r techniques are useless
How to develop your MA skill?

You go to

1. elementary school and beat up all those kids.
2. junior high and beat up all those boys.
3. senior high and beat up all those young guys.

1 -> 2 -> 3. You will need to develop your skill from easy to difficult.

The 1st girl that you ever date in your life time should not be pretty. If a pretty girl turns you down during your 1st date, you will have that dark shadow in your head for the rest of your life.

It's very important to "start easy".

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any of those parries would get you knocked out if you said, "Keep trying to punch me, and I'll be parrying like this."
The parry, hay-maker, and hook punch are very similar.

In my last class, we worked on circular punches (such as hay-maker, hook punch, parry) against straight punches (such as jab, cross). In 2 minutes match, one guy only used straight punches while the other guy only used circular punches. It is interested to find out the person who uses circular punches will have advantage. The reason is simple,

- The circular punches can be used for both offense and defense (knock down opponent's straight punches).
- The straight punches can only be used as offense. It has no defense ability.

If you use spear to make circles in front of you, your opponent's spear cannot stab through.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How to develop your MA skill?

You go to

1. elementary school and beat up all those kids.
2. junior high and beat up all those boys.
3. senior high and beat up all those young guys.

1 -> 2 -> 3. You will need to develop your skill from easy to difficult.

The 1st girl that you ever date in your life time should not be pretty. If a pretty girl turns you down during your 1st date, you will have that dark shadow in your head for the rest of your life.

It's very important to "start easy".
Pretty sure you'll get arrested before you get to step 2...

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's different because a punch can't kill you in a single hit. At least, it's very unlikely.

If it could, you would see people staying at extreme range, all the time, entering only long enough to strike and retreat back.

Playing pattycake with a 10 inch blade seems suicidal to me.

Well, I guess that means you should stick to empty-hand and never train weapons! ;)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And if an ugly girl turns you down then you go commit suicide lol. I rather be turned down by a pretty girl than an ugly one. At least I can lie to myself about why the pretty girl turned me down (she stuck up, not the right one for me, she's not all that). lol. I can get a good bit of denial to help me get through it.

If an ugly girl turns me down then I'm going to have a difficult time getting that denial thing working lol.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess that means you should stick to empty-hand and never train weapons! ;)
On the contrary, I've trained in a lot of weapons. I just think what you are demonstrating here would be likely to get you killed if you tried it against a similarly armed opponent with bad intentions. You would never get close enough, unless he too had a death wish.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the contrary, I've trained in a lot of weapons. I just think what you are demonstrating here would be likely to get you killed if you tried it against a similarly armed opponent with bad intentions. You would never get close enough, unless he too had a death wish.
I recently asked someone, about their success over the years in training MA, this person has trained 100's of 1st Dan and beyond, I asked about how he could train so many to a high quality, when every student was unique.
It was a long email, about breaking skills down to their basic elements, build the students knowledge, confidence, and the rest will come, he works on a principle with I think is poiniant here, and have copied and pasted below.

Often, especially as a teacher, you need to put yourself in the position to grow. it is hard to maintain continual growth on your own. A mentor is vital. Someone who can give you a gem that you can work on for the coming months, until it is time to go and drink from the well once again.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

No. You obviously don't know what you are talking about and have never really trained weapons. Swordsman do something similar to this all the time. FMA guys training with long blades do something similar to this all the time. You can even so something similar to this with Wing Chun Butterfly knives. So I really don't think you have "trained in a lot of weapons" if you think "you would never get close enough." Because you have to get at least this close to even land a strike! Unless you are throwing your weapon at the opponent! ;) Again, because I showed this in an instructional format where we are standing relatively stationary, you seem to have concluded that I would just be standing there waiting to do the technique. This is not true. Like I have already pointed out...things like this are done when the opportunity presents itself. You are moving around dynamically adjusting distance/range, and when the distance is right as your opponent tries to land a sudden thrust or backhand strike you meet it with the side parry....which is really essentially the same thing as a backhand backcut. So ideally you would be cutting his forearm or hand as you keep his strike from landing. And you would typically be angling out of the way as you do so. If you are far enough out that you can't easily reach his forearm or hand, then you end up with blade on blade contact.....which, when you have a 10 inch blade on a Bowie knife, is not at all unreasonable or difficult to do. A big Bowie Knife is essentially a short sword.

And if you think you can always stay at a distance during a real fight with weapons and will never end up closing with the opponent...again, you obviously haven't done much serious weapons training! :confused:

And I will also point out that the side parry is a pretty basic and instinctive response. Give a beginner a stick and throw a blow at him. If his hands are down and the stick is to the left of his center, he will very likely do an outward sweeping motion to try and keep from getting hit.

So really, to come here and see people questioning the utility of this very basic and instinctive motion makes me really question the knowledge and experience of weapons of the people doing the questioning. No offense intended. It just kind of surprises me.

Last edited:

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this video of Dan Inosanto, doing a demo on knife and stick work, after the initial introduction, look at the pace of his demonstration. Or are some of you saying Mr Inosanto is not teaching at the right speed

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ And check out the 1:11 mark....that's essentially a side parry! ;)

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also found this of legendary grand master Crispulo Atillo, although most of it is at speed, they start slow on the weapons, and he is also using the side parry.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also copied and pasted the following which is a quote from an interview with Emanuel Steward
Parrying is a superior defensive move to blocking because it offers more protection while creating better counter opportunities using your opponent's energy. ... Blockingstill absorbs partial damage whereas parrying can deflect the attack away entirely.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that is a sparring match, not an instructional video. You have to first learn something, practice it, and develop it if you want to have any hope of using it in that kind of scenario. Don't you even understand the basics of how martial art training works??? :eek:
I'm not sure what your definition of instructional, teaching someone to cross the road in a manner that's odds on to get them killed, is indeed instruction, just not very good instruction,

but let's anylize the vid, people are not going to try and stab you with a tennis backhand, he is only in range to hit your outhekd knife, other wise the arc would miss e you, if he was indeed to attack you in that manner and was not the perfect distance , youve set up, then he would stab you in the shoulder and not come anywhere near you knife, and most bizarre in that position he is wide open, you could just stab him in the shoulder and move out if range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions