Soft parrying type of karate

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are some of us who would maintain that there are no 'blocks' in karate and that even the parries can be aimed at particular targets.
You have mentioned Wong Chun as if it is 'soft'. When we look at the origin of karate it too has its roots back in China. Why would things have changed so radically? Hard blocks make no sense to me at all. :asian:
Wait a second; any strike toward any direction is a hard block on the way; so, how is it you don't understand the use of a hard block.
Sean

5rings

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I remember years ago training in Tang Soo Do,........ that at least in the beginning stages lots of soft outside parries were used along with an outside step. I guess these could be considered soft blocks, as the instructor at the time specified direction and coordination of hand and foot work rather than hard striking. Though I did later see a demonstration of this technique which the hand was used to turn and snap,......"Shoto" breaking 3 pine boards a few inches away from his face. Pretty impressive, just wondering whether this falls under the same category as a parry, just neglected to ask at the time, but remember it was based more on technique and angle than anything else. I believe that most blocks start off at just that, they are blocks. Later on with coordinated footwork they seem to be more reliant apon angle & direction as to weather they hard or soft in principle. I think it's more mindset & most of old Masters knew that....If an attack was eminent & given the range and opportunity, "strike that which is going to strike you"....thus hard block .....or if still eminent & given the range and opportunity.... divert that which is going to strike you.....soft block. I think as we get better at knowing when an attack is eminent...we become better at diverting the attack altogether!
"Alway try to think outside the Traditional Box"

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can't believe I missed this discussion, but many Okinawan karate styles can be regarded as soft parry styles, depending on the emphasis of application the teacher chooses to make. Take a look at the advanced kata of the style. If you see a lot of crane wrist blocks and the like, it's a good bet that the style teaches softness at the advanced levels.

Don't be misled by the beginner level training. Most karate styles start off with hard applications, since it is thought that one should build the body first to be strong and forceful before learning the yielding energy redirection methods later.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wait a second; any strike toward any direction is a hard block on the way; so, how is it you don't understand the use of a hard block.
Sean
Sorry, I've been away and missed this post. I'm not exactly sure what your question is here. What exactly are you asking when you say "How is it you don't understand the use of a hard block?"
If, for example, we are talking of chudan uke in defending against a mid section strike. I was taught, and I teach, that almost all 'blocks' are two handed affairs. The first hand parries and the second strikes to a specific point on the arm or body depending on relative positions. So, in this instance, the first hand would intercept the striking arm well in front of the body and deflect the strike. The second hand, or forearm, would strike probably to a point just above the elbow, or perhaps cutting along the forearm. That is a hard strike but it is in no way a 'block'. The punch has already missed the target. Meeting a strong attack head on with force is a good recipe for injury. Apart from that, meeting force with force against a bigger stronger opponent makes no sense to me. The stronger will generally prevail. Also if you consider that many women practise karate. Do you think that strong 'blocks' are going to stop a bigger stronger attacker who may be high on drugs or just plain psycho? To my mind the smart thing is to be off the line and redirecting, then you have the chance to counter.
Sorry if I have misinterpreted your question.

Latest Discussions