The secret technique......

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever come across the guys out there who don't know how to fight and don't train, but...... They think they know a secret, dirty, sneaky, effective technique that is guaranteed to save them in a fight if they ever do have to fight for their lives?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are people who DO train who think there are techniques that always work.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. It's normally "kick them in the balls/punch them in the nose/eye." As if people don't naturally protect those areas. Or "I just see red and destroy people"..which granted aggression can get you pretty far. But not for those people normally.

The other one is "I've got a gun, no one can hurt me." Which assumes that you've always got your gun out, have amazing situational awareness, or are a fast enough draw that you can always pull it out between the start of someone attacks and the finish.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kick them in the balls/punch them in the nose/eye." As if people don't naturally protect those areas.
The main purpose of the groin kick are to:

- Cross in the distance (kicking range ->punching range).
- Force your opponent to drop his arm (expose his head), or raise his knee (stand on 1 leg).
- Put your opponent in defense mode (He can't attack you at that moment).

It's a good "door opening" move. You can use it to create many other opportunities. So the groin kick can be the root of a tree. You can develop a full growing tree from it.

If you have repeated the groain kick over 1,000,000 times, you can do it without thinking. Your experience in that area will be more than your opponent has. That will be your advantage.

IMO, the secret technique is a technique that you have used over 1,000,000 times on different opponents.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The main purpose of the groin kick are to:

- Cross in the distance (kicking range ->punching range).
- Force your opponent to drop his arm (expose his head), or raise his knee (stand on 1 leg).
- Put your opponent in defense mode (He can't attack you at that moment).

It's a good "door opening" move. You can use it to create many other opportunities. So the groin kick can be the root of a tree. You can develop a full growing tree from it.

If you have repeat the groain kick over 1,000,000 times, you can do it without thinking. Your experience in that area will be more than your opponent has. That will be your advantage.

IMO, the secret technique is a technique that you have used over 1,000,000 times on different opponents.
But that's not what these people are saying. In their minds it's often "I'll hit you in the groin and it'll be done."

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But that's not what these people are saying. In their minds it's often "I'll hit you in the groin and it'll be done."
A general will need many soldiers. A door guarding technique will need many diffenent techniques to support it.

I still remember my teacher had forced me to use single leg for 6 months. After 6 months, one day he said, "Try to use single leg to set up ...". That was the day I truly started to learn MA.

As long as you can force your opponent to respond in a way that you know how to take advantage on it, you will have advantage over your oppponent.

The circular dragging can be a secret technique. Most people don't have much experience in this area. When you drag your opponent in circle, you can find many different opportunities.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kicking out the knee gets bandied around a bit. But not like the UFC where people will take twenty of those kicks in a match. Real knee kick outs that make the knee explode or something.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see them all the time on the web. It’s under “end any fight in seconds”

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever come across the guys out there who don't know how to fight and don't train, but...... They think they know a secret, dirty, sneaky, effective technique that is guaranteed to save them in a fight if they ever do have to fight for their lives?
Sure. And many who begin training and think there are secret techniques. Some have been disappointed to discover that the secret is to train.

The biggest 'secret technique' I have heard of or seen has been the car keys between the fingers in a fist thing. Seems everyone thinks that's going to save them. We've given a few folks an opportunity to use it. It doesn't work, but I'm guessing most of us know that.

There is also a common fallacy that not being to be able to perform a technique in the dojo will magically transform to real and effective technique if they really need it on the street. Um, no, not for the most part. Sometimes a person gets lucky, but that's luck.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anytime I teach a defensive tactics class, I tell them first thing: "There is NOTHING in the way of tools/tactics that is 100% effective 100% of the time. Anyone trying to say that is trying to sell you something".

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the secret is to train.
How to train is the key.

If you tell a striker that everytime when he pulls his punch back, he can also pull his oponent's arm, you may help him to open his mind if he hasn't thought that before.

Sometime the secret is just a piece of thin paper. It can cover your eyes. But it takes little effort to remove it.

Last edited:

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
As has been said already there are people who ‘train’ who think techniques like that exist.

People who actually fight understand there’s no magical technique that will save them.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kicking out the knee gets bandied around a bit. But not like the UFC where people will take twenty of those kicks in a match. Real knee kick outs that make the knee explode or something.

To be fair most UFC fighters kno
Sure. And many who begin training and think there are secret techniques. Some have been disappointed to discover that the secret is to train.

The biggest 'secret technique' I have heard of or seen has been the car keys between the fingers in a fist thing. Seems everyone thinks that's going to save them. We've given a few folks an opportunity to use it. It doesn't work, but I'm guessing most of us know that.

There is also a common fallacy that not being to be able to perform a technique in the dojo will magically transform to real and effective technique if they really need it on the street. Um, no, not for the most part. Sometimes a person gets lucky, but that's luck.
And if you can’t do it in the dojo, then everyone has the same likelihood of using it successfully, so why waste your time or money at a dojo like that lol?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What used to be popular among those kind of guys was the "You might know Karate but I know KaKrazy" line.

Latest Discussions