A police takedown.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There are different versions of this. I tend to do a full back take and sort of roll their hips with my arms.There is the knee knock which goes the other way. And there are wrestling rides which play with this idea as well.

But fighting to that position is super smart. Not just because the takedown is solid. But because it is a lot easier to stay there than it is to get someone off you from there.

So even if everything goes south. You are not in this, I have tried an armlock, failed and am now standing directly in front of a guy in reach of their face punches. Which is a really bad place to be.

And it gives you a body part to attack if you are working as a group. Someone already has an arm and is being rag dolled the hip attack is still available.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was a full time Police officer for about 22 years. I have done the straight arm bar take down effectively on big and small people maybe 25 times or more. So yes, sorry Mike but...it works. It's about timing, not muscling it. I also had a few counters that worked great if the straight arm bar failed.

I also have used the one he shows in the video a couple of times.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
An arm bar while blocking, sweeping or kicking the opponents weight bearing leg plus your forward/downward motion is very effective. The arm bar is not a passive technique. You’re not just putting pressure on the opponents elbow, you’re going through it. Pulling up on the wrist down on the elbow.
With that said the back takedown is also excellent if you are positive that it’s only one on one. It takes more practice, timing and commitment to implement. Especially on pavement…lol
In reality all well trained good technique are welcomed and sometimes needed.

Last edited:

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If I have to wrestle or use more judo to get them down, than fine, but it's better to use a simple takedown like an armbar if I can. Because first many people have horrible hygiene, and or have blood on them, and or have diseases, that I don't want. Plus a simple arm bar takedown generally gives me better awareness of others around, and is very quick when it works.

If it doesn't work, or it is clear it isn't going to work from the beginning, I switch to judo or wrestling.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the arm bar works more because people are afraid they will get shot if it doesn't. Rather than as a mechanical advantage.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anyway. For the armbar to work. You have to get the head lower than the arm. Which is hard if the are taller or stronger and just don't bend.

If you can achieve that. Then the arm bar has a chance.

My issue is if the arm pops out or you fail to get it. Their natural response is to turn and face. And then there is a massive risk they will hit you. Which happens a lot faster than people are willing to acknowledge generally.

You could probably do a sequence where you might be able to pull it off. But I haven't seen anyone really explore it.

So something like straight arm bar to two on one russian. Elbow pops up. Under hook and block the head. Reinforced undertook gets the head back down, fight again for that arm bar, mabye take the hammer lock if it presents.

Or if you do loose the whole thing, duck under the opposite arm take the back and fight from there.

Reinforced underhook

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the arm bar works more because people are afraid they will get shot if it doesn't. Rather than as a mechanical advantage.
Nope. It works because you are using it on a certain type of resistance, and on people in a certain state of mind.

Last edited:

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My 1-2-3 worked extremely well, and very reliably. I would attempt the straight armlock, if it failed and they straightened up and curled their arm in, I would hit them immediately with a close line version of O-soto Otoshi. Very reliable and quick takedown. I used that take down very often, many times after fishing for or attempting a straight arm lock.

If that failed I would quickly transition to a simple wrestling style snap down. Blending Akido, with Judo, with wrestling in a 1-2-3 combination.

It worked beautifully and came in handy often enough.

Being a Sambo guy, I'm certainly familiar with the 2 on 1 position also. I have used that to do all of those techniques also. Including a belly version of the straight armbar takedown, transitioning to O-soto Otoshi, or what we called a Cuban leg grab. Works great also.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But fighting to that position is super smart.
I can see at least 2 weak points at that position.

1. His opponent can get him into a reverse head lock (guillotine).
2. Since both of his opponent's hands are free, both of his opponent's hands can reach to his bear hug hands. If his opponent can pull one of his fingers out, his opponent can break his finger.

Bear hug is beginner level skill. But bear hug + leg skill (such as outer hook, or inner hook) is advance level skill. You can use "bear hug + leg skill" to take your opponent down with much less effort.

It's much easier to take your opponent down if you can move one of his feet off the ground first.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

2. Since both of his opponent's hands are free, both of his opponent's hands can reach to his bear hug hands. If his opponent can pull one of his fingers out, his opponent can break his finger.

Bear hug is beginner level skill. But bear hug + leg skill (such as outer hook, or inner hook) is advance level skill. You can use "bear hug + leg skill" to take your opponent down with much less effort.

It's much easier to take your opponent down if you can move one of his feet off the ground first.

Rides kind of work the other way. Where you put weight on the body part. Then collapse its ability to sustain that weight.

The advantage of them is it uses gravity more than strength. So is very physically easy to do. But very physically hard to defend.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rides kind of work the other way. Where you put weight on the body part. Then collapse its ability to sustain that weight.

The advantage of them is it uses gravity more than strength. So is very physically easy to do. But very physically hard to defend.

The "leg skill" is not commonly used in MMA. May be this is the difference between MMA approach and TMA approach.

When you use 1 of your legs to hook 1 of your opponent's legs off the ground, your opponent is standing on 1 leg, but you are also standing on 1 leg. The single leg balance needs extra training. The double legs balance take less training.

May be TMA approach require more training to obtain result. The MMA approach require less training to obtain result.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "leg skill" is not commonly used in MMA. May be this is the difference between MMA approach and TMA approach.

When you use 1 of your legs to hook 1 of your opponent's legs off the ground, your opponent is standing on 1 leg, but you are also standing on 1 leg. The single leg balance needs extra training. The double legs balance take less training.

May be TMA approach require more training to obtain result. The MMA approach require less training to obtain result.

Leg reaps are pretty common.

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The knee down inner hook doesn't require single leg balance. This is the only take down that I don't like to train. I believe to drop knee on the ground like this is not good for the knee joint in the long run.
On a padded floor, I see nothing wrong with practicing that move repeatedly.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You literally see where the standing version gets reversed in that 2nd video.

Latest Discussions