Occasional self defense rants - #1 mouth and feet

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He asked his Sifu about fighting a local bully and his sifus response was always "don’t fight". After multiple scenarios he hit on one that made his sifu say “Then you fight… but make sure you kill him or he may come back to get you later” the sifu that was telling me this responded with “I don’t want to kill him... just teach him a lesson” His sifu said “oh and make sure you kill his entire family too or that may look for you to get revenge” to which the response was “I don’t want to kill anyone” and of course his Sifu’s response was again “Then don’t fight”.

I like it.

"I just want to teach him a lesson." Is probably the hardest thing for people to get over. But that is what gets so many people in trouble.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like it.

"I just want to teach him a lesson." Is probably the hardest thing for people to get over. But that is what gets so many people in trouble.
Almost. Ego is the hardest thing for people to get over and it's the ego that drives you to want to "teach someone a lesson". My opinion only, so take it for what it's worth...and with this head cold they're not worth much.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher hasn't talked about de-escalation much at all, although he did show us a nice kick/step on the knee that flows right into running like hell.

Almost. Ego is the hardest thing for people to get over and it's the ego that drives you to want to "teach someone a lesson". My opinion only, so take it for what it's worth...and with this head cold they're not worth much.

In the good old days ego was the first enemy to conquer . It never made it to the street because any Sensei worth his salt beat it out of you or you quit the dojo.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My teacher hasn't talked about de-escalation much at all, although he did show us a nice kick/step on the knee that flows right into running like hell.

Sorry jbrainard, I didn't mean to lump your post into above. It was a mistake. I did tho like what you posted and saw the humor.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Necroposting and I don't care. :)

From a woman 20+ year victim of domestic violence, still in crisis:

"I just don't want to hurt anybody."

*sigh*

Latest Discussions