The rant thread

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That I was asking you the same thing.

I made my point very clear, I don't do the cryptic post thing. You made a comment about women training, it came over as being critical and dismissive of women martial artists so I suggested you don't like training with females. The answer you posted was 'oh boy'. I don't play word games, I say what I mean.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's nice, what's the point you are trying to make?

In the English language the "Male" version of a word is used many times to describe a group or people or an abstract. It does not imply that the female version is being excluded on purpose.

In a language that has a Male, Female, and It version of speach, there will always be a form of gender bias. In books for a game that I play many times they describe the abstract person as female. They do this, to show that females can play, but it is also done to stop the arguements over linguistics. Yet when one reads the writing one could ask now if they were not Female biased. ;) Oh wait, in a gender specific language this is going to happen no matter how one writes. :(

I think that was the point.

Now I have seen in my classes (* FMA *) that the talkative ones usually do not stay in general. They like to talk more than do. I ask then to explain to me why is (1+1=2). I need three proofs. When they look at me funny and say but one plus one is two, why do I need to prove it, I just smile and say then please do the basic exercise and once you learn it you may go back and better understand it with your question.

I have also noted that many women do not stay around. Bruises on arms or legs are something that many do not wish to deal with. Once again society may dictate what is acceptable.

I have also seen some that as soon as the weapons training goes from slow and theory to applied they want to leave. Being an Engineer, I need my fingers and arms so obivously we are not breaking them every class. Can there be pain? Yes. Some women do not like to cause others pain. They leave after they hurt someone or they see someone get hurt. Nothing permanent, but they just do not like it. Once again it could be society and culture.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you're now beefing with me over my perceived misogyny because I've stated that women who don't talk a lot during their first training session tend to train longer and show more interest in what they're doing.

Cool. I'll go listen to DJ Assault and Slick Rick now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A many men don't stay around in my club because we are too hard for them. I also know a good many female fighters, MMA fighters including a couple of professional fighters.
I work with women ( as well as men) who are professional soldiers, most have just come back from Iraq, will be going back there and to Afghanistan so please don't plead "the little women don't like being hurt thing", as I said we have a good few men who do one session in our classes and don't come back.
The original comment was made about women, nothing to do with the vagueries of the English language.

So you're now beefing with me over my perceived misogyny because I've stated that women who don't talk a lot during their first training session tend to train longer and show more interest in what they're doing.

Cool. I'll go listen to a DJ Assault album now

That's called throwing your teddy bear in the corner. :lfao:

And being simplistic.......

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A many men don't stay around in my club because we are too hard for them. I also know a good many female fighters, MMA fighters including a couple of professional fighters.

And Mariette van der Vliet would have sent my fingers to my parents by mail long ago if I had had any problem with women in martial arts.

The original comment was made about women, nothing to do with the vagueries of the English language.

Women in the Bujinkan, no less, which you have zero experience training in.

That's called throwing your teddy bear in the corner. :lfao:

And being simplistic.......

Oh, I'm sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Mariette van der Vliet would have sent my fingers to my parents by mail long ago if I had had any problem with women in martial arts.

Women in the Bujinkan, no less, which you have zero experience training in.

Oh, I'm sorry.

It was too hard to say that you have no problem training with women? You had to make an inane remark about women talking though? Zero experience training in the Bujinkan eh? Interesting that you obviously know me then.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It was too hard to say that you have no problem training with women?

Apparently harder than it was for you to assume that I do have them.

You had to make an inane remark about women talking though?

So what's the problem with saying it if it's my honest experience?

Zero experience training in the Bujinkan eh? Interesting that you obviously know me then.

Likewise.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently harder than it was for you to assume that I do have them.

So what's the problem with saying it if it's my honest experience?

Likewise.

Ah the honest opinion! Everyone has those but sometimes those opinions should not be expressed if they are going to demean people.The thing I like about MT is the way respect is given to everyone and people try not to put people down. You stated apropos nothing that women who chatter in class don't stay very long. It wasn't in the context of anything you were discussing before so why say it? It had connotations whether you meant them or not that women weren't to be taken seriously in training, something that you seemed to confirm with further posts.
I didn't state however that you disliked women training, if you check I said I had the slight feeling that you did, you could have refuted it instead of playing silly buggers with Monty Python.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It wasn't in the context of anything you were discussing before so why say it? It had connotations whether you meant them or not that women weren't to be taken seriously in training,

Or I COULD have meant that if women show up at a dojo and exhibit quiet concentration, that indicates that they're going to stay around for a while. You CHOSE to interpret my post that way.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mods, my apologies. What started as a lighthearted comment in defence of women has turned into an argument I wasn't intending to have. I know it's called the rant thread but I thought that instead of complaining about the women talking post ( and making a mountain out of a molehill) I'd remonstrate in a lighthearted way about it. Sorry!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We often tend to hear that there are things we should practice often. I'd wager most here know what I'm talking about. For all our dabbling in universal adaptability, some things need to be worked on consistently in order for us to have confidence in ourselves.

But if you're somewhere around the early dan ranks/late kyu ranks and don't run your own training group, my guess is that you really don't have much of a say in what it actually is that you're going to be working on. This is the cause of a classical Bujinkan problem - because there's so much to choose from, there are times when you've practiced something over and over and you feel like you're at least beginning to get the hang of it, be it hip throws, kansetsu waza, hanbojutsu or whatever. And then someone comes home from Japan and you're stuck practicing what he's showing for the following months, at which point you discover that you suck at those other things once again.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
One more thing...

I'm sick and tired of all the guys standing on the sidelines when somebody high up is demonstrating going "oh yeah, this is soooo good..."

If a girl runs around telling everyone how madly in love she is it's herself she's trying to convince...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more thing...

I'm sick and tired of all the guys standing on the sidelines when somebody high up is demonstrating going "oh yeah, this is soooo good..."

If a girl runs around telling everyone how madly in love she is it's herself she's trying to convince...

Really? you seem to have a strange need to bring ersatz female psychology into a martial arts discussion.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're reading stuff into my posts that aren't there based on your own preconceived notions/lack of humor/lack of understanding/whatever.

Knock it off.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:

Please keep the discussion polite, respectful, and on-topic.

Thank You,

- Carol Kaur -
- MT Moderator -

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
One more thing...

Nah. There are two things worse than that:

1. When the demonstration is nothing more than bad parlor tricks - but looks mystical (and isn't, and won't work on a normal person) - and the guys are like, "that is sooooooo sweet"...

but worse than that is:

2. When someone does something pretty solid, and the two green belts, look to their shodan friend, who then butchers what just happened with a HORRIBLE explanation of what was just demonstrated... and the green belts are just nodding and nodding...

ARRRRGGHHHHHH!

Ok. Rant over.

-Daniel

PS. Nim: your observations are spot on about women and talking in their first class. I have had the SAME EXACT observation - and so far it is batting 1000. The more talking that is done, the less time spent in class before they move on to something else.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nah. There are two things worse than that:

1. When the demonstration is nothing more than bad parlor tricks - but looks mystical (and isn't, and won't work on a normal person) - and the guys are like, "that is sooooooo sweet"...

but worse than that is:

2. When someone does something pretty solid, and the two green belts, look to their shodan friend, who then butchers what just happened with a HORRIBLE explanation of what was just demonstrated... and the green belts are just nodding and nodding...

True true, but these two scenarios and the former aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Latest Discussions