The rant thread

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Bujinkan experience tells me so.
Would you say, then, that it is in contrast to how long male newbies will stay behind and train by how much they talk during their first session? :rolleyes:

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, with guys it can't be determined that way, at least I can't.
So then, could you expound please? Is it an instructor's reaction to the Chatty Kathys you're noticing, or a general lack of enthusiasm on the part of the women?

And how are the men different?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Wado Ryu, Tang Soo Do, MMA etc experience tells me that perhaps your class is not encouraging women properly! perhaps they aren't welcome, maybe they talk during class because they don't understand the instructor and are trying hard to keep up by asking each other? Perhaps they are afraid to ask the instructor so are trying to work it out between them? Men as we all know do not ask for instructions or directions! Maybe you've only had a couple of women in the class lol!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So then, could you expound please? Is it an instructor's reaction to the Chatty Kathys you're noticing, or a general lack of enthusiasm on the part of the women?

And how are the men different?

Basically, from what I've observed, the women who don't talk a lot are genuinely interested in what they've just discovered.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My Wado Ryu, Tang Soo Do, MMA etc experience tells me that perhaps your class is not encouraging women properly!

We, just like every other dojo in my area (at least), attract a certain type of clientele based on our approach towards training, nothing else.

maybe they talk during class because they don't understand the instructor and are trying hard to keep up by asking each other?

Very likely. Though in most of the cases they'd have less difficulties understanding if they'd listened half as much as they talked.

Perhaps they are afraid to ask the instructor so are trying to work it out between them?

Also very likely.

Men as we all know do not ask for instructions or directions! Maybe you've only had a couple of women in the class lol!

I do and have always done more than anyone else around me, and yes. Though my primary instructor when I started out was female.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It must be so nice to have a class of perfectly quiet men!

But can they fight?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It must be so nice to have a class of perfectly quiet men!

I said earlier that you can't tell the same way with men. There are guys who talk a lot during their first session who keep up training for a relatively long time. Of course the same probably holds true for some women, but I haven't seen it.

But can they fight?

Occasionally, someone's feelings get hurt.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would retort that the world of martial arts is still very much a man's world; not to say there aren't prominent female figures, but truthfully very few.

I imagine many women probably seek some some solidarity amongst each other and perhaps some reassurance from male counterparts when thrust (even if willingly so) into an environment where tradition and filial piety are tantamount to success. It could be that resistance is met when we females already carry so much internally which we are trained from the very beginning to never express - that could be from culture, nurture, evolution ....

Admittedly, I have seen many women quit when weapon training begins and when it becomes challenging - this is frustrating for me, though I've become accustomed to it.

I also wonder if some women might be more successful if appropriately encouraged or reassured by their male counterparts and some higher-ranking females if made available.

Perhaps all some of us can do is observe, judge and rant. :idunno:

And so the cycle continues ....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling, ever so slightly, that you don't actually like training with women.
A couple of years a go I went to a seminar where some of the participants were from a Ninjutsu club. they were very sweet and nice men, they wore home made clothes and hand made rope shoes.They claimed to do techniques that were centuries old and were full contact. Sadly their idea of full contact and ours was a little different. They were very into the spirit of being back in the past, more like a re-enactment society or a boys gang!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"FRANCIS: ...provided the Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every man--
STAN: Or woman.
FRANCIS: Or woman... to rid himself--
STAN: Or herself.
FRANCIS: Or herself.
REG: Agreed.
FRANCIS: Thank you, brother.
STAN: Or sister.
FRANCIS: Or sister. Where was I?
REG: I think you'd finished."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"FRANCIS: ...provided the Movement never forgets that it is the inalienable right of every man--
STAN: Or woman.
FRANCIS: Or woman... to rid himself--
STAN: Or herself.
FRANCIS: Or herself.
REG: Agreed.
FRANCIS: Thank you, brother.
STAN: Or sister.
FRANCIS: Or sister. Where was I?
REG: I think you'd finished."

What's that American for? translator please!

Latest Discussions