The Power of Smell on your Memory

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In reference to Lisa's thread "The Power of Music on your Memory" I find that smells conjure up long forgotten memories and often form new ones. For example...and this is really weird...does anyone remember "Farina" baby cereal? There have been moments where I have gotten a whiff of something that smells like Farina and it gives me this contented feeling inside. Then there's the smell of perfumes and colongnes that remind us of people or times. Anyway, I think smell has as much power on the memory as music does. Anyone else?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Absolutely!

My Baba (grandmother in ukrainian) worked in a flower shop and I often spent time with her there as a kid. Everytime I walk into a flower shop I think if her.

The smell of pipe tobacco remind me of my dad, I used to look around for him when I would smell it when I was out shopping (back in the day when people smoked in public)

Good topic, Pam. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
aboslutly, smell, orders, etc. can trigger some strong memories of times gone by

songe-d-automne

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe it is a powerful memory trigger.

If I smell Rose Milk handcream it always brings me back to my Memere's house when I was a kid and she had a pump bottle of it in her washroom. I use to steal it all the time and went home smelling like roses (and not because I had behaved either, LOL).

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I believe studies have show that it is the strongest memory trigger

I recall hearing that too some time ago...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The power of smell brings many pleasant memories. Today because of past experience? ...if she (my wife) smells something stinks...she thinks it was me who did it? No matter where we are, in the store,restaunts,walking...whew...she thinks of me.....lucky know? ....Aloha

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, The power of smell brings many pleasant memories. Today because of past experience? ...if she (my wife) smells something stinks...she thinks it was me who did it? No matter where we are, in the store,restaunts,walking...whew...she thinks of me.....lucky know? ....Aloha

LMAO! :rofl:

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To this day, the smell of fresh straw takes me back to my locker, junior year of high school before home room and my girl-friend at the time (she always had to feed the animals before school and her hair smelled like fresh straw).

Always brings a smile.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
To this day, the smell of fresh straw takes me back to my locker, junior year of high school before home room and my girl-friend at the time (she always had to feed the animals before school and her hair smelled like fresh straw).

Always brings a smile.

Awwww, that's so sweet. I love good memories.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I believe studies have show that it is the strongest memory trigger

I believe it..The smell of English Leather cologne brings back memories of my first year on the road performing marionette shows across the US..It seems SOOO long ago..

Latest Discussions