The Power of Music on your Memory

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ahh... music :)

I am sitting here listening to "Retrospectacle, The Supertramp Anthology" and the memories of my teen years come flooding back.

Dreamer, singing it loud on a trip with my girlfriends. Playing the Breakfast in America Album over and over. The harmonica at the beginning of School. Seeing Suptertramp live. :)

Takes me back to a time when things were simpler, happy, content.

How about everyone else, music send you flying back in time. Certain songs break your heart? Put a smile on your face? Remind you of a love lost?

I have this big stupid grin on my face.

:D <----yup thats me right now.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, Supertramp! A good choice. Some sentimental favorites for me include "I wanna learn a love song" and "Taxi" (Harry Chapin), "The Boxer" and "Sounds of Silence" (Simon and Garfunkel), "American Pie" (Don McLean), "One Week" (Barenaked Ladies), "Fly by Night" (Rush), "Time for me to Fly" (REO Speedwagon), and of course good ol' "Freebird".

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simon and Garfunkel :D you just reminded me..

Cecelia, your breaking my heart, your shakin my confidence baby! Cecelia, I'm down on my knees, I'm begging you please to come home!

I was 16 when I discovered Simon and Garfunkel, lol. Their songs were recorded a few years before that. My aunty introduced me to their music.

Its in the player now. Thanks Arni! :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peter Gabriel "Big Time"

Rolling Stones "Shattered"

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peter take me back to my college days, partying with the other theater geeks.

Stones takes me back to high school getting drunk alone and watching Saturday Night Live where they appeared on and sang that song, tongue-kissing my boyfriend on his lap.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I am sitting here listening to &quot;Retrospectacle, The Supertramp Anthology&quot; and the memories of my teen years come flooding back.

Dreamer, singing it loud on a trip with my girlfriends. Playing the Breakfast in America Album over and over. The harmonica at the beginning of School. Seeing Suptertramp live. :)

How about everyone else, music send you flying back in time. Certain songs break your heart? Put a smile on your face? Remind you of a love lost?

"Breakfast in America"! Loved that album. It does bring back memories... driving to the mall with friends and trying to smoke generic cigarettes with thme and act like I fitted in. LOL.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Journey - Faithfully: Was "our song" for me and my HS sweetheart.
Kiss - Detroit Rock City: brings back memories of playing guitar on a tennis racket with my friends
Charlie Daniels Band - Legend of Wooley Swamp: A friend had a mix cassette with this song that we used to play over and over. Also Def Leppard - Pyromania, and BOC - Godzilla

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I am sitting here listening to "Retrospectacle, The Supertramp Anthology" and the memories of my teen years come flooding back.

Fortress Around Your Heart by Sting. I weep like a child when I hear it.

And that song.. Don't know the name or the artist, but it always seemed to come on when things were good. "I love it when we're cruising together".

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Jammin to the following LIVE albums...

Peter Frampton: "Frampton Comes Alive"

Lynyrd Skynyrd: "One More From The Road"

KISS: "Alive" & "Alive II"

Journey: "Captured"

Supertramp: "Paris"

Cool thread... heh :D

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Queen's "sail away sweet sister"

My brother's friend's band sang it for me on my 16th birthday :)

Sweet memory.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Sounds and also smell are good triggers for memories.

Both Good and Bad, so only play the good songs for the good memories :D

hong kong fooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
the song that gets stuck in my head the most is Peaches by the presidents of the united states of americia. and the sing by ace of base

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hong kong fooey said:
the song that gets stuck in my head the most is Peaches by the presidents of the united states of americia. and the sing by ace of base

I liked the first album by the Presidents, but their second. The first had Peaches and Lump and others that I love to listen too. :D

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a song by Relient K, that goes "... We can go t.p..." Basically recalling when they were kids, and toilet papering peoples houses was a memory. I haven't done that since I was 14, but I keep laughing at that because a friend and I used to do that. At the time it was a real bad idea- I lived in the suburbs of Memphis, Tn.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Queen song 'I want to break free' always makes me chuckle, remembering when i went out with my best mate luke about 10 yrs ago on a night out. That night for once we didn't bother chasing women, just got drunk and had a laugh and after a while, we were laughing so hard about various stuff and about that song that after a while we were on the dance floor holding each other up to stop each other from falling down. Probably looked like a pair of lovers but hey, who cares! Be cool if every night out was that much fun eh?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
swiftpete said:
The Queen song 'I want to break free' always makes me chuckle, remembering when i went out with my best mate luke about 10 yrs ago on a night out. That night for once we didn't bother chasing women, just got drunk and had a laugh and after a while, we were laughing so hard about various stuff and about that song that after a while we were on the dance floor holding each other up to stop each other from falling down. Probably looked like a pair of lovers but hey, who cares! Be cool if every night out was that much fun eh?

I love the story!

That is what I am talking about. Musice that makes you smile for a life time.

Jack and Diane by John Cougar/Mellencamp (whatever he calls himself now ;) ) Listened to that song all the way west with a friend on vacation. Two 17 year olds, great times, great memories :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks to JeffJ and his reference to it in this thread... I am now singing along to George Thorogood..

Ahh... spring is finally here, I hope to stay... I love this song! Reminds me of going out to socials in my younger years :D

One bourbon, one scotch, one beer
Well I ain't seen my baby since I don't know when,
I've been drinking bourbon, whiskey, scotch and gin
Gonna get high man I'm gonna get loose,
Need me a triple shot of that juice
Gonna get drunk don't you have no fear
I want one bourbon, one scotch and one beer
One bourbon, one scotch, one beer

Go George! Thanks Jeff!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was a huge fan of Queen and Kansas in my high school and early years; they served as the soundtrack to my life in that era. Toto, also.

"Somebody to love" as we crashed a car into a neighbors yard, and managed to pull through their front window to be face-to-face with a chandelier;

Tie your mother down, as we drove by a guys house to see my girlfriends car parked out in front (tipped off by one of her friends); still can't stand to hear that song now.

In Only Seven Days -- fell in love again to that one, and "Leah" off the Fahrenheit album by Toto.

Hammer to Fall: Went with a buddy to Capitol records in L.A. to stalk Brian May while Queen was recording the album, and this was on playback as the band waved us in to hang out for a bit (many autographs, and a pair of drumsticks used during recording).

"Miracles out of Nowhere" and "Cheyenne Anthem", off Kansas' Leftoverture, on headset while face climbing Chilnualna falls in Yosemite.

"Magnum Opus"...musical forms division competition; the whip-cracks are kewl accentuation points.

Dang, some old memories to make me feel old.

Best Regards,

Dave