My "If you're not Catholic, shut up" rant

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a Catholic, I am always amazed at the number of non-Catholics, both Christian and non-Christian, including non-religious, who have a lot to say about the workings of the Catholic Church. My take on it has always been that a) if they're not Catholic, they most likely don't understand it, and b) what business is it of theirs anyway and c) why does it bother them what rules the Catholic Church imposes on its members if they're not affected by those rules in any way?

I'm not talking about scandals here, mind you; when a Priest is a sexual abuser or predator, that clearly affects more than just the Catholic Church; and so do internal coverups and all that sort of thing. I'm just talking about dogma; the internal rules and precepts that govern the internal workings of the RCC.

The latest to catch my eye really has me irritated. The so-called 'iPhone Confessional' brouhaha.

The RCC requires that practical Catholics confess their sins every so often to a Priest, who hears them under the seal of the confessional, and then metes out the Sacrament of Penance and absolves the penitent (forgives in Christ's name) the sins confessed. Catholics believe that Christ gave the Church the power to forgive sin in His name.

Prior to going to confession, a Catholic is supposed to diligently search their conscience and call to mind their sins. How to do this and what kind of sins are covered in the training that Catholic receive at a young age or during the conversion process if they come to the Church later in life. But it can be a bit of a difficult mental exercise to go through one's memory and try very hard to take note of when has broken the Commandments in both sins of commission and sins of omission (things one has done and things one has failed to do). It's not quite like Hollywood portrayals, ie, "I took the Lord's name in vain six times since the last confession." "Say six Hail Mary's and four Our Father's, my son. Your sins are forgiven."

So here comes this iPhone app that simply allows a Catholic to go through the commandments, think about what they've done and not done, even have their memory jogged, and then tick off boxes indicating what they need to resolve with their Priest. The idea is no different than a piece of scratch paper and having the Bible readily at hand, really, it's just more convenient.

It was developed in a small diocese and approved by a local bishop. And I agree; it seems like a very useful app. Seems to me like it might remind Catholics that they are required to confess, and help them examine their consciences and remember what they did or didn't do and what they need to report to their Priest in the Confessional.

But the press reported it and they of course made a total mess of it. First, they reported that Rome says that Catholics can confess to their iPhones instead of a priest in a confessional. NO, NO, NO! Rome never approved it, a local bishop did. And one does not 'confess' to the iPhone app, one merely makes notes of one's sins to be reported to one's Priest in the confessional.

Now that they've misreported who approved the app, and what the app does, they're gathering shocked reactions from Catholics and non-Catholics alike, as well as shocked clergy who hadn't heard the true story but only read the idiotic headlines about 'robo-confession' and reacted angrily to what was not even true in the first place.

It ticks me off. Folks, if you're not Catholic, confession has nothing to do with you. If you are Catholic, this app is nothing more than a memory-jogging app that helps you to examine your conscience, make notes, and then help remember them when you speak to your Priest in the Confessional. There's no automatic forgiveness, no robo-confessional, and no, Rome hasn't approved the app - Rome doesn't have to. In fact, no one has to. If a Priest chooses to ban an iPhone in the confessional, one can always simply write down the list of sins one wishes to confess and take those in after using the iPhone app.

Most Catholic churches report that Confession is way way down in popularity; people just don't confess much anymore. It takes time, it's embarrassing, it makes some people feel badly about themselves, and of course, there is the Penance one must do. But it is required of a practical Catholic; anything that makes it easier to prepare for Confession and then actually go to Confession seems to me to be a pretty good idea.

But it will probably end up being withdrawn because of idiot reporters and non-Catholics who have strong opinions about things they don't understand and which don't affect them anyway.

OK, I feel better now. Rant over. Thanks for reading!

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The media...spreading controversy unintentionally or purposefully belittling people/organizations that they disapprove of?

The world may never know.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought that article sounded botched the first time I read it. Thanks for clearing it up Bill.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've never had a word ever to say about Confession, good or bad. You're right - I'm not Catholic, and so that part of it has nothing to do with me.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I too have only heard of this in a peripheral kind of way i.e. seen the 'headline' on the BBC but didn't read the article. Even without reading it tho', I too reached the general (false) conclusion that it seems has been made about this phone app - I recall thinking something along the lines of "tsk, so much for diligent faith" or somesuch before I moved on.

Despite my strong views on religion, I am actually pleased to hear that the app is not what it was presented as in the media. As misrepresented, even to a non-religionist {yeah, I inveneted my own label :lol:} like myself it seemed an awful 'commercial' thing to do to what should be a personal experience. I am glad that it's purpose is entirely different - an aide memoire rather than an ersatz 'Father' :tup:.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This article is shot through with complete, bald-faced, outright, lies.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/vatican-city-is-not-okay-with-confession-by-iphone/

Pay attention, Catholic readers. This is important: the Vatican doesn’t want you confessing to your iPhone.
As the digital revolution continues to ease life in myriad ways, the top organization in the Catholic Church has decreed that Confession: A Roman Catholic App, a newly released iPhone app that advertises itself as “the perfect aid for every penitent,” is, predictably, not going to fly as a replacement for in-church confessionals. “It is essential to understand that the rites of penance require a personal dialogue between penitents and their confessor,” Holy See press officer Federico Lombardi said in a statement. “It cannot be replaced by a computer [COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][FONT=inherit ! important]application[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

I'm sure the quote is correct, but the application DID NOT REPLACE CONFESSION.
The Vatican’s seal of disapproval invalidates an endorsement of the app from Catholic bishop Kevin Rhoades, who gave the app the Church’s… wait for it… blessing earlier this week. Confession was developed by Little iApps in collaboration with two Catholic priests.

No, the bishop did NOT give his blessing to an application to which one could confess their sins. That is a complete lie.

At the end of this hit piece, they 'come clean' to a tiny extent:

The app is described in its iTunes description as an opportunity for “Catholics to prayerfully prepare for and participate in the Rite of Penance. Individuals who have been away from the sacrament for some time will find Confession: A Roman Catholic App to be a useful and inviting tool.” So it’s not like the app purports itself to be any kind of replacement for actual churchgoing.

Yeah, like anyone reads down to the very bottom to find out that the salacious headlines were in fact completely made up and wrong.

BASTICHES! ICE HOLES!

Now I have to go to confession myself. Dang.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Boy I’m glad I read that because based on local news I was beginning to have my doubts about this thread.

And perish the thought…as a non-catholic… why would I ever say anything about an organization that officially forgave Galileo for claiming the earth orbits the sun…339 years after his death :D

As for Confession, I was once seriously involved with a Catholic Woman (engaged) and I do not understand the whole Confession thing and from what I understand I am not sure I would ever do it but I knew it was not as popular as it once was because she never went to it and in the church I was going to they turned one of the confessionals into a bathroom. As the head priest put it..."after 30 years as a priest they finally named something after me...."The John"

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for Confession, I was once seriously involved with a Catholic Woman (engaged) and I do not understand the whole Confession thing and from what I understand I am not sure I would ever do it but I knew it was not as popular as it once was because she never went to it.

Xue, I don't know if it is good or bad that your serious relationship with the Catholic Woman didn't send her to the confessional.

:uhyeah:

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for Confession, I was once seriously involved with a Catholic Woman (engaged) and I do not understand the whole Confession thing and from what I understand I am not sure I would ever do it but I knew it was not as popular as it once was because she never went to it and in the church I was going to they turned one of the confessionals into a bathroom. As the head priest put it..."after 30 years as a priest they finally named something after me...."The John"

You are quite right that Confession is nowhere near as popular as it was among Catholics. But the idea is pretty simple, really.

Given that Christians believe man was born into a sinful state, due to Original Sin, one must be received into the Church and Baptized in the name of God to receive forgiveness.

However, the Catholic Church does not believe that once forgiven from Original Sin, man stops sinning and no longer requires forgiveness.

Many Christian denominations believe that sins must continue to be forgiven, but I don't think any of them except the Catholic Church and some of the Eastern Orthodox Churches believe that the priest must be the go-between from sinner to God.

So the idea of Confession is simple. A Catholic searches their conscience for sins they have committed, either by action or by inaction. There must be three acts to the confession. Contrition (being genuinely sorry), disclosure (stating your sins to your priest) and satisfaction (penance or punishment levied on the penitent by the Priest). If these things are satisfied, the Priest forgives the confessed sins in Jesus' name. As mentioned, the Catholic Church believes that they have the authority to do so given by Jesus to the Church.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Seems to me that this is not a matter of confessions or religion, but of lousy journalism and the culprit should be taken to task.

It really does not matter if it's an app, or whatever. Not getting the facts right is inexcusable. That's what gives the media a bad name.

I had not seen the headlines. I would have probably chuckles 'there's an app for that' and gone about my merry way.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seems to me that this is not a matter of confessions or religion, but of lousy journalism and the culprit should be taken to task.

Sadly, it's not just one journalist or one agency to take to task; I can post links to a dozen or more major media organizations that covered the 'story' incorrectly. At that point, it stops being lousy journalism and starts being intentional misreporting. What some call 'bias'.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's because religion, and Christianity in general, are not popular. It IS popular for the newsmedia to make fun of it any chance they get and to make it look bad as well.

I rarely watch the news anymore, because it is NOT news. It's gossip plain and simple. Real news takes only a few minutes to give the facts/details of what happened. Now, we have "news" that gives their opinions on everything and have admittedly tried to shape politics with their opinions on things because it was "their duty".

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now I have to go to confession myself. Dang.

I think not. I'm sure this comment of yours was a bit tongue-in-cheek but let's remember that righteous anger is no sin. Emotions in themselves are not sinful, and people like St. Paul and St. Jerome were hadly shrinking violets. Then there was that whole whipping the money changers thing. If God Incarnate - whose every action is meant as a model for our lives can do that - I think setting the record straight on this topic hardly qualifies as being grist for confession.

The real problem is with Catholics who see their religion being repeatedly belittled by others and feel no indignation. Indifference to the holy is not the same thing as detachment.

Pax,

Chris

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly, it's not just one journalist or one agency to take to task; I can post links to a dozen or more major media organizations that covered the 'story' incorrectly. At that point, it stops being lousy journalism and starts being intentional misreporting. What some call 'bias'.

Exactly. Of course, when the subject matter is something one does not care about, the real damage is not easily seen.

But we really life in a time where the quick sale over shadows the truth.

I think it should serve as a prime reminder that we need, no MUST demand better from our medias!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FYI, I just sent an email to the author of a story posted a short while ago on the SF Chronicle webpage that infers that the app was approved in error - that it was designed to allow confession via iPhone, but the Vatican slapped it down. ARGH! NO NO NO!

What were we saying about anger and letting go in a recent thread? I'm getting good and ticked off now. Oh well. This too shall pass.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats because its normally 1 person that writes a story then 50 news outlets reprint or use it. Usually a freelance writer who will sell his story to many papers and websites. Ive seen it happen to me once they did an article about a shooting I had and spelled my name wrong it was then wrong in 3 different papers all because it was the same typo because it was the same story

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It ticks me off. Folks, if you're not Catholic, confession has nothing to do with you. If you are Catholic, this app is nothing more than a memory-jogging app that helps you to examine your conscience, make notes, and then help remember them when you speak to your Priest in the Confessional. There's no automatic forgiveness, no robo-confessional, and no, Rome hasn't approved the app - Rome doesn't have to. In fact, no one has to. If a Priest chooses to ban an iPhone in the confessional, one can always simply write down the list of sins one wishes to confess and take those in after using the iPhone app.

The app is simply a new version of an Examination of Conscience. Most parishes I've been in have a flier or pamphlet in the vestibule to assist penitents in preparing for confession. This isn't particularly different than if I were to download one on my smart phone and review it while waiting...

Oh, and as for confession being down... Not in my parish! It's a safe bet on spending a most of an hour if you go to the scheduled confessions due to the lines. If you're lucky, and early, you can be towards the front of the line, but I've walked in at the start and had lines for each of the several priests present that were 8 to 10 people deep...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The app is simply a new version of an Examination of Conscience. Most parishes I've been in have a flier or pamphlet in the vestibule to assist penitents in preparing for confession. This isn't particularly different than if I were to download one on my smart phone and review it while waiting...

Oh, and as for confession being down... Not in my parish! It's a safe bet on spending a most of an hour if you go to the scheduled confessions due to the lines. If you're lucky, and early, you can be towards the front of the line, but I've walked in at the start and had lines for each of the several priests present that were 8 to 10 people deep...

Maybe you are living in a sinful area?

<runs for cover>

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
FYI, I just sent an email to the author of a story posted a short while ago on the SF Chronicle webpage that infers that the app was approved in error - that it was designed to allow confession via iPhone, but the Vatican slapped it down. ARGH! NO NO NO!

What were we saying about anger and letting go in a recent thread? I'm getting good and ticked off now. Oh well. This too shall pass.

Try the tried and true method:
Print it on a sheet of paper and mail it.

Letters to the editor...

Latest Discussions