My "If you're not Catholic, shut up" rant

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your rant, but:

It ticks me off. Folks, if you're not Catholic, confession has nothing to do with you. !

The rite of auricular confession-that is to say, one on one confession to a priest or elder- also exists within the Eastern Orthodox/Eastern Catholic, Lutheran, and Anglican/Episcopal churches.

Of course, the Anglican and Episcopal churches are sort of Roman Catholic lite: all the standing up and sitting down, and less than half the guilt. :lol:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If we only commented on things in the world that directly affect us today, we’d have very little to talk about here at MT and very few people to talk with.

Sometimes opinions from outsiders let us see perspectives we may never have considered.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If we only commented on things in the world that directly affect us today, we’d have very little to talk about here at MT and very few people to talk with.

Sometimes opinions from outsiders let us see perspectives we may never have considered.

I agree, but not if they don't know what they are talking about. To wit, this app, which does not do what the authors of a few hundred newspaper and online articles claim it does. If they were Catholic (or a faith that practices confession, thanks Elder), they might.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I appreciate your rant, but:

The rite of auricular confession-that is to say, one on one confession to a priest or elder- also exists within the Eastern Orthodox/Eastern Catholic, Lutheran, and Anglican/Episcopal churches.

Of course, the Anglican and Episcopal churches are sort of Roman Catholic lite: all the standing up and sitting down, and less than half the guilt. :lol:

Actually, those protestant heretics are great on having confessions. They just do it standing up in front of the congregation...
has it's upside though: The Preacher can't blackmail you.... (and yes, that is a POV from precedent...)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember my college bf and I deciding to go to confession one time in late spring. We were out in the city in the only vehicle we had (our bikes), and after a couple of soggy trips across the Fens (parkland in the Fenway neighborhood), we were pretty much covered in mud. My bf goes in and sees one of the retired Irish priests milling about and shouts "Bless us, Father, for we are muddy!" The old fellow doesn't miss a beat. He looks at us, shakes his head, breaks in to a grin and says "I'm afraid not even holy water can help you two." :lfao:

I think the joke is on the reporters, personally. I suspect even without knowing anything about the app, most Catholics know exactly what that it is for just by hearing the name of it.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Actually, those protestant heretics are great on having confessions. They just do it standing up in front of the congregation...
has it's upside though: The Preacher can't blackmail you.... (and yes, that is a POV from precedent...)

1) Eastern Orthodox aren't "Protestants"; they're "Eastern Orthodox", in existence since well before the reformation.

2) I said-and explained-"auricular confession," and distinguished it as such-while not as mandatory as in the Roman Catholic church, the rite does exist, and can be asked for. There are even Anglican and Episcopal churches with confessionals. Orthodox Christians are expected to participate in auricular confession a few times each year. Auricular confession also exists within the Coptic church(another Orthodoxy)-as well as within a couple of non-Christian religions.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1) Eastern Orthodox aren't "Protestants"; they're "Eastern Orthodox", in existence since well before the reformation.

2) I said-and explained-"auricular confession," and distinguished it as such-while not as mandatory as in the Roman Catholic church, the rite does exist, and can be asked for. There are even Anglican and Episcopal churches with confessionals. Orthodox Christians are expected to participate in auricular confession a few times each year. Auricular confession also exists within the Coptic church(another Orthodoxy)-as well as within a couple of non-Christian religions.

Talking strictly about my baptist, etc neighbors of mine... ^_^

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm an ex-Catholic Atheist and I STILL appreciate confession. The act of admitting to another human being your moral failings is cathartic because it means that you can no longer hide it. I find that if I talk about these things with my wife or even a priest, which I still do now and then, I can personally grow into a better person. If I try to hide it, chances are I'm not going to take responsibility for it. IMHO, relieving ourselves from the burden of sin and doing the required penance is a metaphor for this very real human activity.

It's times like this where I wish I could explain in person to the reporter what this is all about. I wonder if he'd respond or continue with his smug contempt?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm an ex-Catholic Atheist...

How does that work? You used to be a Catholic Atheist and now you're not?

Just kidding...
icon10.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm an ex-Catholic Atheist and I STILL appreciate confession. The act of admitting to another human being your moral failings is cathartic because it means that you can no longer hide it. I find that if I talk about these things with my wife or even a priest, which I still do now and then, I can personally grow into a better person. If I try to hide it, chances are I'm not going to take responsibility for it. IMHO, relieving ourselves from the burden of sin and doing the required penance is a metaphor for this very real human activity.

It's times like this where I wish I could explain in person to the reporter what this is all about. I wonder if he'd respond or continue with his smug contempt?
Another factor that's easily overlooked in many Protestant responses to the sacrament of reconciliation is the relief of simply being told "you're forgiven."

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All in all, I still prefer the way we do it. Wholesale. Once a year. :ultracool

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you're not Catholic, shut up...

This quote was in the "The Funnies" section of my small town weekly newspaper: "The Catholic Church has approved a new app that lets you make confessions over your iPhone. It also raises the possibility of accidentally butt-dialing God." -Conan O'Brien

He [Conan O'Brien] is the third of six children. O'Brien's family is Irish Catholic and descends from pre-Civil War era immigrants. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conan_O'Brien

Is it forgivable for a comedian to play loose with the facts to get a laugh? ;)

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
on the other hand Bill, on things like same sex marriage or abortion for non-Catholics the Catholic Church should shut up but it seems to feel free to try effect secular law for non-Catholics.

Good for the goose.....

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
on the other hand Bill, on things like same sex marriage or abortion for non-Catholics the Catholic Church should shut up but it seems to feel free to try effect secular law for non-Catholics.

Good for the goose.....

Thats true as well. I didnt go there though cause the topic's about confession.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score

Good for the goose.....

"Butting in" about what we consider MURDER is something we should "shut up" about???

Comparing our stance on abortion to what we see as intentional misrepresentation of the sacrament of confession is a stretch.

Nice try though.

Latest Discussions