the new karate kid movie

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Transformers 2 I liked. The first one was poorly written, with the main characters (Sam and the girl) being completely extraneous to the plot. The glasses thing was moronic.

Of course the same example of a big budget movie being lousy is the Ang Lee Hulk.

Daniel

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
As I said, I've got no issue with a Karate Kid remake. I am curious, though, that it's being billed as a Karate Kid remake at all. I mean, if you're changing the style (gung fu), the location (China), the teacher (Jackie Chan), and the student (young Mr. Smith), then you've got a story about an older martial arts master who takes on a young pupil.

We've already got hundreds of those, none of which claim to owe anything to The Karate Kid (many of them coming long before that film anyway). So what actually makes this a Karate Kid remake?

Stuart

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I loved both Transformers movies, but then I love everything Bay does ... and yes I am an old school G1 fan. My sincere wish is that GI Joe does not suck though, I'm a bigger fan of that franchise, the comics, cartoons, animated movies. Plus I really hate the director Stephen Sommers.

By the way, have you guys seen the animated movie GI Joe Resolute? If you have not, run and get it, it is Joe as they should be presented, brutal action, people dieing, insane ninja battles.

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
Transformers 2 I liked. The first one was poorly written, with the main characters (Sam and the girl) being completely extraneous to the plot. The glasses thing was moronic.

Of course the same example of a big budget movie being lousy is the Ang Lee Hulk.

Daniel

as for sam and the girl being extraneous they were part of the cartoon series so i see nothing wrong with them being in the movie ? it gives the movie its human touch cant wait for part 3 maybe the dinobots will show up , as for the last movie they made on the hulk - i thought it was also sick they way it starts of in brazil were the dude sits and meditates with one of the gracies to learn to control his anger ...

the one that dissapointed me was the street fighter movie i thought it would of been better but it wasnt - i ve spent countless quarters and hours on the game i just felt they should of poured it on with the characters maybe part 2 will be better who knows ...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As I said, I've got no issue with a Karate Kid remake. I am curious, though, that it's being billed as a Karate Kid remake at all. I mean, if you're changing the style (gung fu), the location (China), the teacher (Jackie Chan), and the student (young Mr. Smith), then you've got a story about an older martial arts master who takes on a young pupil.

We've already got hundreds of those, none of which claim to owe anything to The Karate Kid (many of them coming long before that film anyway). So what actually makes this a Karate Kid remake?

Stuart
Basic plot outline. Bullied kid finds refuge and teachings from an old MA master and learns to overcome his adversaries. Names, location, ages, art and all that are just minor details to say it is not a scene by scene remake. Doubtful there will be the teenage angst love interest involved but either way it's pretty much the same. It was originally called "The Karate Kid" but me thinks that Smith must've heard the outcry and changed it around to "Kung Fu Kid" ...
One of those wait and see via previews if this isn't a rewrite/revision of the story, much like that blasphemous and disastrous revision of "The Day The Earth Stood Still.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Basic plot outline. Bullied kid finds refuge and teachings from an old MA master and learns to overcome his adversaries. Names, location, ages, art and all that are just minor details to say it is not a scene by scene remake. Doubtful there will be the teenage angst love interest involved but either way it's pretty much the same. It was originally called "The Karate Kid" but me thinks that Smith must've heard the outcry and changed it around to "Kung Fu Kid" ...
One of those wait and see via previews if this isn't a rewrite/revision of the story, much like that blasphemous and disastrous revision of "The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Well sure. But I could rattle off the titles of half a dozen movies matching that description right now. Some of which owe much to The Karate Kid (while remaining different enough not to be called "a remake") and others that came before Karate Kid, I expect.

Hell, No Retreat, No Surrender could be considered a remake of The Karate Kid if we're painting in broad strokes. :)

Miyagi = Ghost of Bruce Lee
Daniel = Whoever the lead character was in that flick
Van Damme = Johnny

Being clearly influenced by something doesn't really constitute a remake. Nobody says that Star Wars is a Hidden Fortress remake. Even though aficionados might be aware that the former borrows heavily from the latter.

Stuart

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
No Retreat, No Surrender was awesome! I loved that fake Bruce Lee who didnt even look like Bruce.

Believe me, NRNS is one of my all-time favouritest "guilty pleasures." Hell, I even dig the sequels with Loren Avedon. :)

I'm not positive about this, and can't be bothered to check at the moment, but I think the bloke who played Lee in NRNS was the same one who doubled for Lee in the remaining scenes of Game of Death.

Stuart

EDIT: Okay, turns out I could be bothered to check. And I was right. (Imagine my surprise.) Tai Chung Kim.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, you brought it back, I have not heard Loren Avedon's name in years. What was that one movie he did with him and his brother? That dude used to throw down, another great 80's martial artist we never hear from again, along with Cynthia Rothrock and a bunch of others.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dude, you brought it back, I have not heard Loren Avedon's name in years. What was that one movie he did with him and his brother? That dude used to throw down, another great 80's martial artist we never hear from again, along with Cynthia Rothrock and a bunch of others.

Him and his brother would have been NRNS 3: Blood Brothers. His brother was played by taekwondo expert Keith Vitali (veteran of Revenge of the Ninja).

King of the Kickboxers, with Billy Blanks and a personal favourite of mine--Keith Hirabayashi Cooke--is another fave.

Stuart

EDIT: Come to think of it, KotK also features Loren Avedon's brother (played by Michael DePasquale). Is that the one you're thinking of? Blanks kills DePasquale's character after DePasquale defeats the Thai champion in a kickboxing match.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I loved Armageddon. Pearl Harbor I'm gonna have to give him a mulligan on because the destruction was cool.
After the first dozen times... Armageddon got kinda old...
Pearl Harbor, I kinda passed out during... Long Islands should NEVER be drunk in drive-ins...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
as for sam and the girl being extraneous they were part of the cartoon series so i see nothing wrong with them being in the movie ? it gives the movie its human touch cant wait for part 3 maybe the dinobots will show up ,
Extraneous because the story had no place for them. They had to be very cumbersomely written in via the glasses, but really, the glasses were a silly (and unconvincing) vehicle to get Labouff's character into the plot and had no bearing on the story; the US Military already had the cube, the glasses did not lead the Autobots to the cube, and nothing that Sam did afterward required Sam specifically. The Decepticons were getting blown apart by the military, so aside from saving Optimus, Sam sticking the allspark into Megatron's chest really was unnecesary.

as for the last movie they made on the hulk - i thought it was also sick they way it starts of in brazil were the dude sits and meditates with one of the gracies to learn to control his anger ...
Wrong Hulk. I was talking about the first one with Eric Bana and Nick Nolte.

the one that dissapointed me was the street fighter movie i thought it would of been better but it wasnt - i ve spent countless quarters and hours on the game i just felt they should of poured it on with the characters maybe part 2 will be better who knows ...
Are you talking about the VanDamme Street Fighter? I would not expect a part two. There was a recent Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Le, but that had nothing to do with the first movie so far as I know.

Daniel

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
well you can blame the cartoon for Sam and his girlfriend for not having an convincing entire into the movie. Because Sam's family has always had a tie to the robots through history, heck even Sam's kid Spike is the main focus of Transfomer's series for a long time.

Latest Discussions