The Misguided Layman's Dream of "The Fight"

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wisdom. Silly of me to say MA has participants who think of fighting. (Silly of of me to consider ppl play pile on and disagree, just because .... ) Glad to know MA is full of peace loving types. I was so wrong.
Well to me there is a huge difference between fighting and self defense. I never think about fighting because I don't fight people. I do consider self defense situations discuss them and figure out different answers to the situation. But you didbt ask about self defense you asked about fighting.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wisdom.
You're welcome.
Silly of me to say MA has participants who think of fighting.
No, what was silly of you was to write, "Why do so many dream of 'the fight'?" That's what was silly. Not "think of fighting," "DREAM of fighting."Very different things.
(Silly of of me to consider ppl play pile on and disagree, just because .... ) Glad to know MA is full of peace loving types. I was so wrong.
"A herd of martial artists gets together and a fight breaks out; quelle surprise." -Chas Clements (Silat Instructor)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks for all the wisdom. Silly of me to say MA has participants who think of fighting. (Silly of of me to consider ppl play pile on and disagree, just because .... ) Glad to know MA is full of peace loving types. I was so wrong.

Oh please, you make a gross generalization that is just plain wrong and people don't agree with you and now your the victim....grow up

Kind of like your other thread where you resorted to condescension and insults when people did not agree and you had nothing to back up your statements....do better research before you start this stuff and you'll get further

wimwag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ummm I never came into martial arts because I wanted to fight. I also wasn't looking forward to a Honk Kong movie style showdown with an evil foreman and his henchmen at the old ice factory. I started learning because I saw how happy all my friends who practiced martial arts were. The self defense application is a bonus. The peace of mind and camaraderie in a dojo is what I like best. I also like spending my time doing something beneficial for the body instead of playing Xbox and eating Doritos. You can practice anywhere. Literally. Sometimes you get into the zone and then realize a crowd of kids gathered to watch when last time you checked, you were the sole inhabitant of the park.

I don't dream of "the fight." I do, however, visualize my opponent when practicing kata or fundamentals.

Latest Discussions