The Low Block

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the most basic block at our school. The low block is used block a low strike, but it seems impractical to block a full powered kick with a low block. We teach it to not only block a low strike but it can be used as a deflection to the inside of the kick. If it isn't an effective way to block a kick, then what is a practical way of using this block?

latest

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the most basic block at our school. The low block is used block a low strike, but it seems impractical to block a full powered kick with a low block. We teach it to not only block a low strike but it can be used as a deflection to the inside of the kick. If it isn't an effective way to block a kick, then what is a practical way of using this block?

latest
The low block isn't a block but is a term to describe the movement of the arm/hand to it's final position. What is available within that movement. Hint: it can be more than a strike or a block.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Note the following is based on the arts I study..

The first form (aka Kata) of WC includes the primary hand movements. We don't move our legs in the form so some of the movements seem impractical. However when you add the proper footwork and body position you would use in a real encounter the movements become practical.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

latest

Low block can be used to block a full power roundhouse kick provided you step inside of the power of the kick. In my experience, straight line kicks are much better avoided than blocked.

Of course, the same motion could be utilized as a hammer fist or knife hand strike, too. And that doesn't include the people who use the motion as a throw or grapple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Low block can be used to block a full power roundhouse kick provided you step inside of the power of the kick. In my experience, straight line kicks are much better avoided than blocked.

So the block would be meeting the thigh?

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So the block would be meeting the thigh?

Usually closer to the knee bend for me. The key is to connect with the kicker's leg before the hip turns completely. Coupled with a punch to the chest, it's pretty effective. Lots of follow up options after that.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh ok , I see, I was trying to visualize the execution of the block. So you would attack the knee bend, as in at the knee cap? What would that do to the trajectory of the kick?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want to use "downward block" to block a

- roundhouse kick, after the blocking, you will need to bend your upper arm upward in order to catch that roundhouse kick,
- front kick or side kick, after the blocking, you will need to use your wrist to "pull" your opponent's kicking leg ankle toward you. The block should be a "S" shape.

If you just use "downward block". you can't catch your opponent's kicking leg after the blocking.

A block should be more that just a block. It should be a "deflect" followed by a "catch".

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh ok , I see, I was trying to visualize the execution of the block. So you would attack the knee bend, as in at the knee cap? What would that do to the trajectory of the kick?

I don't really consider it attacking the leg at all. It's just a cover of my body in case I mistime my step into the kick. But the arm usually ends up in position to trap the leg if I wanted. Timed correctly, the kicker's hips are squared up with me and it's ridiculously easy to take their balance. For Taekwondo sparring, I'd simply punch to force them to stumble backwards and then attack with my own kick before they can recover.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
- roundhouse kick, after the blocking, you will need to bend your upper arm upward in order to catch that roundhouse kick,

This sounds like a block taht we have called the Circular Block

The block ends looking like this.

upload_2016-8-1_0-39-53.jpeg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This sounds like a block taht we have called the Circular Block

The block ends looking like this.

View attachment 20019
Except your right forearm should protect your head in case your opponent's roundhouse kick is aiming toward your head. When you try to catch a roundhouse kick, your both arms should act like a "trap". Your blocking arm open first and then close afterward with your other arm.

This is a good example that a technique in form/kata may require some modification when used in fighting.

In

- form/kata, your other hand may still be next to your waist.
- fighting, your other hand may need to move next to your head.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Except his right hand should protect his head in case his opponent's round house kick is aiming toward his head. When you try to catch a roundhouse kick, your both arms should act like a "trap". Your blocking arm open first and then close afterward.

This is another reason the step is so important. If you step inside the kick, it doesn't matter if the kick is high.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is another reason the step is so important. If you step inside the kick, it doesn't matter if the kick is high.

Because it would be impossible to reach your head correct? Your head would be out of the leg's range.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of course when your opponent kicks you, you move in, don't give him enough space for his kick, and run him down, that will be better than just to block his kick and catch it.

The reason that you want to catch your opponent's kick is because if you can sweep/hook his standing leg, you can take him down. When your opponent kicks at you, while his kicking leg is still in the air, if you move in and sweep/hook his standing leg, you can achieve the same result.

If your have a good timing. you don't even need to block your opponent's kick. Since that window is so small, you have to be fast. By using the "block and catch" approach, your speed may not be that critical.

Last edited:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
The low block is used block a low strike, but it seems impractical to block a full powered kick with a low block.
Since I have personally used the low block in an actual street fight against a full power kick to the groin three times with a 100 percent success rate I would say it is entirely practical.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I have personally used the low block in an actual street fight against a full power kick to the groin three times with a 100 percent success rate I would say it is entirely practical.
Not to mention, if a head is coming at you low, like in a tackle, or he is bending at the waist to do some weird kick, low-block the head. :)

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my experience with TKD, it's a perfectly functional block.
As a kick comes in, bring the left foot in and block with the left forearm, then immediately counter with a left side-kick, or w/e.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We teach it to not only block a low strike but it can be used as a deflection to the inside of the kick. If it isn't an effective way to block a kick, then what is a practical way of using this block?
This is the correct teaching of that technique. When used against a forward kicks it is a redirection with a strike to the inside of the leg where there is a nerve that hurts when you strike it, even if it's a soft strike your opponent will fill some discomfort. It is used as a block when dealing with downward jabs to the gut.

The motion of this technique is not a downward block, it is a side ways block. The downward motion is the path your arm takes to generate power, but when the arm strikes it is striking from the side and not from the top. If your block lands on the top then you run the risk of breaking your arm against someone's shin.

The goal of this technique is to prevent the kick from hitting you while punishing the leg. If I were to do the Kung Fu version of this technique, you would be able to kick about 5 times before you start feeling pain. If I hit that never that's on the inside of your shin, then you will kick only once and fear that you'll get hurt if you kick again. The theory is that if you are going to block then you might as well punish the offending limb since you are making already contact.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course when your opponent kicks you, you move in, don't give him enough space for his kick, and run him down, that will be better than just to block his kick and catch it.

The reason that you want to catch your opponent's kick is because if you can sweep/hook his standing leg, you can take him down. When your opponent kicks at you, while his kicking leg is still in the air, if you move in and sweep/hook his standing leg, you can achieve the same result.

If your have a good timing. you don't even need to block your opponent's kick. Since that window is so small, you have to be fast. By using the "block and catch" approach, your speed may not be that critical.

There are so many things that can be done to defend against a kick. I am a little uncertain about what kick the OP is referring to. A low snap kick to the front or side is primarily how I was taught to use this block when I studied TKD. But as I said, I am not sure how the OP or others are describing the kick intended to be blocked. The photo the OP shows, if it is of a completed movement would not be good for a snap kick or side kick since it doesn't go past the leg.

Anyway, as Kung Fu Wang stated above here, and in post #8, follow up beyond simply blocking is good. If you hook the opponent's leg as in #8, there are several things you can do to attack the opponent as you continue with the block; you can imbalance by continuing to raise the leg, with a block behind the plant foot or not, or grab the knee and dislocate it, or elbow the thigh. If you step inside the kick, a really damaging move is to place your same foot as the opponent is kicking with, inside his legs, up inside the groin. You should grab his leg (this is usually for a mid to low kick) and at the same time you step (spin) around backwards as you pull his kicking leg with you. If has the effect of breaking his hip and or pelvis.

Usually closer to the knee bend for me. The key is to connect with the kicker's leg before the hip turns completely. Coupled with a punch to the chest, it's pretty effective. Lots of follow up options after that.

In my TKD, we were usually taught a hammer fist as I recall, wherever on the leg we could, but ankles were fine, using it as a block, but still a strike, and intending to deflect(block) at least