The Low Block

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I never block low kicks like that because every time I do I get punched in the face.

I found it better for me to move out of the way it better yet jam it by shuffling very close to them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is no need to block a low kick (below your knee). All you need is to bend your leg at your knee joint and let the kicking leg to pass under it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you when you block? What targets is the incoming strike attacking? What if you did your "block" as an entry move? Or while you've trapped an arm and pulled it down? What if you step in, and deliver a "down block" to your opponents hip?

Often, the "first night" explanation of a technique is only the barest beginning...

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Let us not assume that we are facing squared off against the attacker. Footwork, as has been stated is important. Also, don't look at a block as a block. All blocks are strikes, after all, you are striking the attack. Next, which should be first, do the movements with weapons in different orientations facing different directions.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Failing to block.
This one needs a funnier icon. lol That's exactly what my other hand is doing when I get punched in the face. On a bad day, both hands tend to have the same problem.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is the most basic block at our school. The low block is used block a low strike, but it seems impractical to block a full powered kick with a low block. We teach it to not only block a low strike but it can be used as a deflection to the inside of the kick. If it isn't an effective way to block a kick, then what is a practical way of using this block?

latest
Check out John Burke Sensei, he teaches 100 different uses for Gedan Barai, none of which are a block.

OP
A

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Check out John Burke Sensei, he teaches 100 different uses for Gedan Barai, none of which are a block.

Woah I just saw him use Najunde Makgi/Gedan Barai as an arm break. Thanks for telling me about this guy that was really cool!

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Woah I just saw him use Najunde Makgi/Gedan Barai as an arm break. Thanks for telling me about this guy that was really cool!
You're welcome.

I've been on a couple of his seminars now and am looking forward to training with him again in September.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

How am I just know hearing about John Burke? I just watched a few of his Pinan videos. I love his approach - simple, direct, and realistic. I've seen similar stuff, but it always seems like the presenter gets overly complex and carried away, like Iaian Abernathy. Or goes completely off the deep end, like George Dillman. In the few videos I've seen, John Burke puts it in a way I've been looking for it.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have seen similar forms being used by Saenchai in a muay Thai match to sweep a raised knee and hard keep his opponent. I think it shouldn't be used as a shield-type block.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How am I just know hearing about John Burke? I just watched a few of his Pinan videos. I love his approach - simple, direct, and realistic. I've seen similar stuff, but it always seems like the presenter gets overly complex and carried away, like Iaian Abernathy. Or goes completely off the deep end, like George Dillman. In the few videos I've seen, John Burke puts it in a way I've been looking for it.

LOL, I don't think Iain Abernethy gets carried away, far from it really he's practically a founder member of the 'KISS' club.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
...Najunde Makgi/Gedan Barai as an arm break. Thanks for telling me about this guy that was really cool!
Like I said; it isn't a block but is a term to describe the movement of the arm/hand to it's final position.
When there is so much more to understanding application the term "Block" stymies ones application potentials.