Looking into KKW certification from other orgs

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been involved with the ATA, HTF (Hwa Rang Taekwondo Federation) and in small part the ITF over my 22 year TKD career. I now own and run a small Taekwondo school and would like information on KKW certification who would I need to talk to and what would be the process in which this would happen?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been involved with the ATA, HTF (Hwa Rang Taekwondo Federation) and in small part the ITF over my 22 year TKD career. I now own and run a small Taekwondo school and would like information on KKW certification who would I need to talk to and what would be the process in which this would happen?

I would say if you're a Kukkiwon certified 5th Dan and want to recommend your students, the form is online at the Kukkiwon's site, just download it, complete it and send it off with a cheque.

In the US (AFAIK) individual instructors can still apply directly to the Kukkiwon for grade recommendation.

Did I answer your question? Or did you mean how can you get your current grade converted to Kukkiwon rank?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Adam as long as you are a certified 4th Dan though the KKW you can process all your own up to third anything over that would require a higher ranked person.

PM me if you need help.
Master Stoker

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're asking how you as an instructor from another other organization gets certified by the KKW, I imagine the easiest way would be with the help of a GM in good standing w/ the KKW. I'm sure Last Fearner &/or Miles know the specifics about that.

OP
Fluffy

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, my black belts are through the ATA and HTF. I, at this moment, have no KKW cert. Miles and Terry have contacted me via IM.

I'm just weighing my options for now. Thanks for answering my post.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, hmmm, with the Kukkiwon, if you are a 1st Dan and want to jump to 3rd Dan (2 ranks) and have sufficient time in grade and pay for both promotions and have a master to process the paper work it can be done in the US. If you are a 1st Dan and want to jump to 4th Dan (3 ranks) and have sufficient time in grade and pay for all promotions and, wait for it, ta dummmmmm, go to Korea to the Kukkiwon and test, it can be done. How ever, unless you know a really senior grand master with one heck of a lot of pull that can get your rank transfered over, well, you will be starting at 1st Dan and working your way up the system. They really don't care what rank someone esle promoted you to, they only care about KKW rank. to them if you aren't KKW then you aren't a certified BB. Sorry...........

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, hmmm, with the Kukkiwon, if you are a 1st Dan and want to jump to 3rd Dan (2 ranks) and have sufficient time in grade and pay for both promotions and have a master to process the paper work it can be done in the US. If you are a 1st Dan and want to jump to 4th Dan (3 ranks) and have sufficient time in grade and pay for all promotions and, wait for it, ta dummmmmm, go to Korea to the Kukkiwon and test, it can be done. How ever, unless you know a really senior grand master with one heck of a lot of pull that can get your rank transfered over, well, you will be starting at 1st Dan and working your way up the system. They really don't care what rank someone esle promoted you to, they only care about KKW rank. to them if you aren't KKW then you aren't a certified BB. Sorry...........

Also, as a Kukkiwon certified master I would imagine that you also have to be very familiar with all of the WTF, Kukkiwon sanctioned poomse, rules, regs and requirements, right? I'm far from being a master, so what do I know, but, to me Taekwondo is after all Taekwondo. A Korean martial art. That said, I've learned that each TKD organization likes to run things their own way, and they have their own way of operating. Good luck to Fluff trying to get a rank transfer.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Too true cali, you do have to know all that but by the time you are master rank you should anyway, eh? I also agree that TKD is TKD. If KKW is important to you and either you or students of yours are going to compete at the USAT national level or higher then you have to have it, other wise, no, it's not. One of the things I do like about it is that where ever you go the KKW certificate will be recognized. Too many times a school certificate, no matter what respected grand master signed it, will be ignored, and that is too bad.

Dave, I'm not being a smart *** cause there are a lot of people out there I don't know but who is GM Robinson? I couldn't find him on the USAT website, and yes I know there are many that are not listed, it's just that is the list I go by. Master Preston I know, he mentored me when I was refereeing and we have tested together and have worked many national events together. But GM Robinson, I haven't had that pleasure yet, Ii don't think. Does he have a web site?

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the rules that has been changed is that you don't need KKW certification to compete at USA Taekwondo events as a black belt, of course you need to follow the rules of the tournament (ie. your at huge disadvantage for poomse if your not doing the PalGue orTaeGuek.).

You would still need to have KKW certification at international WTF sanctioned events and yes they check on that kind of stuff especially if you win.

Dave Leverich? Is this the guy http://www.robinsonstkd.com/

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes TXBB that is Master Robinson and you know him I'm sure as we all do or most of us anyway

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very nice website, thanks. When I was talking about very senior Grand Masters apparently Grand Master Robinson was the one I was referring to. If any one can help on rank transition then I agree with Dave, this would probably the man.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I hadn't check the page today (or hadn't scrolled down that far).

That's the man. He's close friends with GM Pierce in Washington (HTF KJN), who is Fluffy's GM.

I hadn't seen him in like 15 years until last summer, I think we ended up bs'ing for nearly two hours. Very very approachable.

My own TKD started from him (Which I'd REALLY like to find more past him, to Korea, which kwan etc). He was my instructors, instructors, instructor. If that makes sense. And I still recall fondly the camps and such.

Anyway, I digress. Yes, that is the one I meant (sorry I hadn't posted more on it).

I think he would at least know of the ways, or alternate ways etc. And be quite familiar with the process of conversion, as many of the senior black belts under him were ATA (ie not WTF) back then.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dave, a question has come up. Is GM Robinson KKW certified or not. Sorry but it does make a difference if he is going to help someone get their rank transfered to the KKW.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not 100% on that Wade.

He was originally KKW (72-3ish), and I thought he'd gone back to the WTF after the ATA. WHich would lead me to believe he's KKW certified.

I'll have to find out, I suppose assumptions could be quite wrong. At that level, it seems many tend to go off on their own roads.

I'll ask GM Pierce this weekend if he knows, those two trained together for decades and if anyone knows he would. Or I suppose I could just call GM Robinson, food for thought.

I'll let you know what i find out.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I looked a bit more,
http://www.uwtakarate.com/UWTAOrg/UWTA_Organization.htm
So it seems he is part of a unique organization, but also.
http://www.usa-taekwondo.us/107_807.htm
His schools are listed there, and USA Taekwondo is then linked to WTF (bottom right). So, well I guess that adds more 'hm not sure's to the list heh.

I'll find out.

Dave anybody school can be USAT and they still do not have to be KKW, my school is with USAT and AAU, Please do not get me wrong I have no ideal wheather he is or not. If you can afford the 100.00 your school can be register with those orgs.

Sincerly
Terry

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hear you Terry, it's starting to look like he might have some affiliation, but not be in the WTF anymore. I'll have to ask. Perhaps he has a certain level of KKW certification (I know of his 2nd degree back in 73ish), best way to find out is to ask.

Holy cow, it's almost Christmas!