The long fist system - Cha Chuan branch

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The long fist system has 5 branches (Cha, Hua, Hong, Tan. Pao). Even just the Cha Chuan branch, it contain 10 forms.

From the form design point of view, what's your opinion about the information created in those 10 forms?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a lot about it that reminds me of Modern Wushu, so I am going to guess that this method was one of the primary methods used in the creation of Modern Wushu.

It is hard for me to comment without having a solid understanding of the engine under the hood. Meaning: how does their foundation work, what are the principles of power generation and how does it manifest in action? That kind of thing.

Just watching it, I don’t like it. It strikes me as more of a performance art and looks like aesthetic posturing. But as I said, that is without an understanding of how the system really works. So I am hesitant to make any real judgement because it could all make a whole lot of sense to me if I understood what was under the hood.

I say this with an acknowledgement that many people look at my system and can’t make sense of it either, without a greater understanding of the foundation. So I tend to withhold judgement.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It strikes me as more of a performance art and looks like aesthetic posturing.
Agree with you on this. Even today, I still cannot come up any meaningful application for what his right arm is doing. It's not an upward block. It looks like he is throwing a dart with his right hand.

throw-dart.gif

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There is a lot about it that reminds me of Modern Wushu, so I am going to guess that this method was one of the primary methods used in the creation of Modern Wushu.

It is hard for me to comment without having a solid understanding of the engine under the hood. Meaning: how does their foundation work, what are the principles of power generation and how does it manifest in action? That kind of thing.

Just watching it, I don’t like it. It strikes me as more of a performance art and looks like aesthetic posturing. But as I said, that is without an understanding of how the system really works. So I am hesitant to make any real judgement because it could all make a whole lot of sense to me if I understood what was under the hood.

I say this with an acknowledgement that many people look at my system and can’t make sense of it either, without a greater understanding of the foundation. So I tend to withhold judgement.
This reminds me of lion dance, where it's not kung fu, but it has some kung fu stuff in it like horse stance and cat stance. It's more like something that tells a story and not an actually fighting system. The head position of where he's looking as he's "fighting" lets me know that this isn't for fighting purposes. It doesn't mean that there's not traces on kung fu, it just means that he's not doing kung fu.

I don't want to totally dismiss it because I've seen the same thing in some of the Jow Ga forms. Performed by the head of the association. Sometimes he does it as he would in fighting, and other times he would perform. Same technique not done the same way. When he performs it's everything that he told us not to do. When he trains it's done correctly.

So I don't know if this is the case here where real stuff is mixed in with non kung fu stuff that is designed to be a performance. It wouldn't be the first time that someone hid martial arts in a dance.

I would hate to decode this stuff if there is real martial arts in it.