The Last Person Thread - 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Got a flu shot 6 weeks ago. First one ever. So far so good, but everyone around me is dropping like flies.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That reminds me. I'm overdue for my Tt shot.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
have been tempted to get a flu shot each of the past 3 years, but each time - at least 2 of my friends gets the shot and promptly gets the flu...

If you're correct, then they did NOT get it from the vaccine. Getting the flu from the vaccine is impossible simply because it doesn't contain any live virus. It contains dead viral fragments. Enough to trigger your immune system to develop antibodies. Getting the flu from the vaccine is flat out impossible.

Depending on what you mean by "promptly", it's entirely possible that your friends already had the flu prior to getting the shot (it takes about two weeks for the antibodies to develop). It's also entirely possibly that they didn't have the flu at all. People call an AMAZING variety of things "the flu". How many of you have had the stomache flu?
Trick question. The answer is NONE, because there is no such thing. The flu is purely a respiratory infection. Viral gastroenteritis is as common as feathers on a chicken, but it is not the flu.

The other thing to keep in mind is that it is simply not possible to vaccinate against all flu strains. Last time I checked, there were enough varieties of flu that vaccinating agains them all would require a shot the size of a Buick. And shockingly, nobody wants that. The vaccine protects against the two or three varieties that are expected to be the most common and the most severe.

So go get your flu shot. And do it next year, too.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's supposed to snow ZMFG!!!1!!!!1!!!!

of course, it's the first I heard, I am only marginally prepared (like not at all) I am sure we get a few feet now. ;)

guess I will be grabbing some groceries in a little while.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good class tonight. Now time for dinner. Simple tonight. Baked ham.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh well, the snow thing was overrated....but since everything is wet, should it freeze things will be interesting....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions