The Guardian Calls For MMA Ban

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a serious issue. But should be put in perspective.

How much people are dying in other sports (absolute and relative numbers)? Less than in MMA? Should/can we ban all dangerous/extreme sports?
Head strike is head strike. During rugby or soccer match, motocross... the hit may not be so startling, but same danger...

Anyway, be smart, be careful.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is a serious issue.
But should be put in perspective.
How much people are dying in other sports (absolute and relative numbers)? Less than in MMA? Should/can we ban all dangerous/extreme sports?
Head strike is head strike. During rugby or soccer match, motocross... the hit may not be so startling, but same danger...
Anyway, be smart, be careful.

However, the point being made in the articles seems to be that other sports do not target the head intentionally; injuries definitely occur, but motocross racers do not attempt to intentionally render their opponents unconscious by hitting them in the head repeatedly. MMA does. There is a difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Less risk of death than sitting on the couch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
However, the point being made in the articles seems to be that other sports do not target the head intentionally; injuries definitely occur, but motocross racers do not attempt to intentionally render their opponents unconscious by hitting them in the head repeatedly. MMA does. There is a difference.

Why is there a difference? It is either dangerous or it isn't. We are not blaming the guy who hit him in the head. We are blaming the activity.

So an activity like bushwalking that causes deaths should be put head to head with an activity like mma.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is a fact. But some other combat sports also intentionally hit the head. Ban all of them?

You know my position: Avoid any heavy head blow, light contact to the head, always. But at the same time I am writing this, some people are doing millions doing the opposite. Are they wrong?

What about other professions, behaviors... were people are at risk? Should/can we ban it? It is major issue. Health, moral, philosophical...

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a fact. But some other combat sports also intentionally hit the head. Ban all of them?

You know my position: Avoid any heavy head blow, light contact to the head, always. But at the same time I am writing this, some people are doing millions doing the opposite. Are they wrong?

What about other professions, behaviors... were people are at risk? Should/can we ban it? It is major issue. Health, moral, philosophical...

And let's be honest here. These shots are intentional.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And let's be honest here. These shots are intentional.
Rugby is special. It can be considered a (the only?) collective combat sport. :)
But it is a detail in this big issue and the question is still the same: Should we (society) allow intentional, legal, dangerous head strikes or not?
PS: Yeah... easier to ban (or keep not allowing) MMA than rugby...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Guardian is ...well the Guardian. It wants to ban most things that are fun. It's actually not allowed in British Army messes lol because of it's perceived communist viewpoint.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Consenting adults who are truly made aware of the inherent risks of the sport (or anything else) should be allowed to compete. I hate how people want to ban adults from things because they're dangerous.

If it doesn't effect anyone else and they know the inherent risks, then banning stuff is pretty communist IMO. I'm all for banning stuff that harms unwilling/innocent bystanders.

New York State, and especially NYC loves to ban everything. We may well be the biggest nanny state in the US. It's died down somewhat with Bloomberg being out of office though. Gov. Cuomo was reportedly lifting the ban on pro MMA in NYS.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll go along with the 'consenting adults' thing. However, MMA is attracting a younger and younger crowd. What about the kids who are getting into MMA? Is it OK for them to suffer serious brain injuries as a result of MMA training and fights?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bill, just for clarification, are you as an individual endorsing a ban on MMA or are you simply sharing an article?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are against MMA. Ok.
It's not for everyone.
I don't know of any legitimate venue (in the US) that allows kids competing in mma to strike to the head.
Participants must be 18 or over for any kind of strikes above the collar bone areas.
Strikes are allow to the front and sides of the body but no striking of any kind to the head.
No elbow strikes.
No strikes of any kind to the knees, behind the ribs, or to any part of the back of the body.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We should ban MMA altogether. And boxing, wrestling, BJJ and karate, definitely Karate. We should ban cigars, liquor and football. We should ban women, we all know how dangerous they can be. We should ban fast food, income tax and stretch pants on overweight old people. We should ban skydiving, motorcycles, skiing, cheer leading, and rodeos. We should ban Scientology, horoscopes, Ice Hockey, Monkey Kung Fu and the Kardashians.

Ban, baby, ban!

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they ban all martial arts sports that are fighting oriented I will just have to import it across the border.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go along with the 'consenting adults' thing. However, MMA is attracting a younger and younger crowd. What about the kids who are getting into MMA? Is it OK for them to suffer serious brain injuries as a result of MMA training and fights?

Here, children under 16 don't fight MMA and under 18 they fight 'no head shots' bouts.
The no head shots carries over into training. However boxing is available for children here with children's bout, the head is the main target obviously.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill, just for clarification, are you as an individual endorsing a ban on MMA or are you simply sharing an article?

Sharing. I am undecided, no particular opinion, can see both sides.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The media enjoy writing articles that shock and horrify readers and viewers, it sell newspapers and advertising. Mostly they get it wrong, most people who know nothing about MMA, have never actually been to a fight show or watched one on television get MMA wrong. People should, before telling those of us who know the sport inside out, that MMA should be banned should actually try to find out more about it.

If you ban anything that connects to the head then football ( soccer) would need to ban heading the ball ( it does cause brain injury, it's been proven) horse sports ( racing, polo, eventing, show jumping etc) motor biking, skiing events including downhill, slalom, jumping, luge, skeleton and bob sleigh, rugby, Aussie rules, white water rafting.... I could go on, hard hats and helmets do not stop the brain from bruising when you hit your head.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The media enjoy writing articles that shock and horrify readers and viewers, it sell newspapers and advertising. Mostly they get it wrong, most people who know nothing about MMA, have never actually been to a fight show or watched one on television get MMA wrong. People should, before telling those of us who know the sport inside out, that MMA should be banned should actually try to find out more about it.

If you ban anything that connects to the head then football ( soccer) would need to ban heading the ball ( it does cause brain injury, it's been proven) horse sports ( racing, polo, eventing, show jumping etc) motor biking, skiing events including downhill, slalom, jumping, luge, skeleton and bob sleigh, rugby, Aussie rules, white water rafting.... I could go on, hard hats and helmets do not stop the brain from bruising when you hit your head.

Yes, but as I said, football and skilling do not involve intentionally trying to hit someone in the head repeatedly. Boxing and MMA are about the only sports that do this as far as I am aware. That does seem to make them somewhat different.

Latest Discussions