the exercise you love to hate.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
well you love it, so it doesn't count for this thread!

jf

Ok, I think the ones we hate the MOST in our hapkido class are

"Bricks and Poles"

Bricks are where we hold a concrete paver and then do several hundred backfists, punches and ridgehand strikes while holding the brick.

Poles are a circuit training routine where we are stationed at one of the four poles in the room or in between.

Typical pole session: Pole positions do 20 "pole squats" (a squat while grabbing the pole on the way down to ensure a more upright position) and then 10 kicks each leg; between poles do either (deep) horse stance while the squats are counted off or some type of calisthenic (pushups, situps) and then do the 20 kicks.

Rotate. Repeat ad nauseum ...

Thursday, for example, we ended up doing a total of 200 stomp kicks, 200 side kicks and 200 upraising heel kicks during our 3 laps around the entire circuit, plus 120 situps, 240 pole squats, and plenty of time holding a horse stance during the "poles" portion of class.

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
ok, i think the ones we hate the most in our hapkido class are

"bricks and poles"

bricks are where we hold a concrete paver and then do several hundred backfists, punches and ridgehand strikes while holding the brick.

Poles are a circuit training routine where we are stationed at one of the four poles in the room or in between.

Typical pole session: Pole positions do 20 "pole squats" (a squat while grabbing the pole on the way down to ensure a more upright position) and then 10 kicks each leg; between poles do either (deep) horse stance while the squats are counted off or some type of calisthenic (pushups, situps) and then do the 20 kicks.

Rotate. Repeat ad nauseum ...

Thursday, for example, we ended up doing a total of 200 stomp kicks, 200 side kicks and 200 upraising heel kicks during our 3 laps around the entire circuit, plus 120 situps, 240 pole squats, and plenty of time holding a horse stance during the "poles" portion of class.
damn........

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hate squats, but they are suck an important exercise. In my training I do 20 reps and 3 sets and I am sweating like crazy by the end and walking becomes harder...but it's worth it

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say squat thrust jump up's. I would pay a nickle never to have to do them again!!!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anything plank-related is not my favorite. It always feels like you're not doing nearly enough for it to hurt that bad.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Half or full jack-knife-kill the abs in so many ways.

That or dead-hang pull-ups.

StrongFighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
The pullups probably because I am overweight right now but that may soon become my favorite excersice. :D

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed a huge, beneficial change in my core power when I started MMA and doing squat-thrusts, but I hate them like some kids hate their vegetables.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats that Bicep workout called where you have to lift the beer glass to your mouth before you can drink? That one sucks, but its SOOOO rewarding that I do it.

Actually I hate Pull Ups. Ive never been good at pull ups. I hate doing pull ups. Did I mention I dislike pull ups?

Stonecold

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Heavy high rep squats . Love how much power they build, hate the puckie. sucking air, shakie leg fall down way they leave you on the last rep. Do them anyway. You don't have to like it , you just have to do it!!!

Latest Discussions