The Egalitarian Blackbelt...

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel like a Rob Redmond fanboy, but this article is outstanding.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2005/10/28/the-one-armed-man/

Requirements need to be set. At the same time I do not expect a 60 yr old to do what a 25 yr old can do.

Requirements are needed as far as kata/forms, technique, self defense applications, etc.

Exactly. While I don't expect that a 60 year old do the same things a 25 year old can, I also don't expect to award the same rank to a 60 year old.

I am personally a bit apathetic about the idea of a belt system in the first place having taught with one and without one, I gotta say if I am putting the bar out there for my students then ALL of them will have to leap over the same one. It simply unfair to lower the "standards" for any one student.

I also don't believe that everyone can earn a black belt. Huk Planas was quoted in the 60's or 70's as replying to the question of how long it takes an average person to earn a black belt with: "An average person can't earn one". Times have changed.

I won't award a Black Belt to anyone under 15. I know a lot of people don't agree with that and frankly I don't care. I think it is the right answer. I wouldn't award one to a person in a wheelchair, or a blind man, or even someone missing an appendage that prevents them from performing the requirements that I have for all my students. Others may, and such is there option. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

By awarding a rank, any rank for that matter, to a student I'm saying that they are trained and skilled in my art to whatever degree that rank represents. If I were to hand someone a belt because I felt bad for them because they had a handicap it would be a form of lying. If I were to lie to my students then how could they trust me? What would the effect be on the person that received the sham rank? They feel good about a B.S. "accomplishment"? Do they trust in their abilities, that I "certified" and develop an unrealistic view of their skill because I didn't have the courage to tell them the truth? I'm not willing to trade my integrity for a student's false sense of security and fleeting happiness. The trade off is unacceptable.
The first rule of Budo is "Do not think dishonestly." Al Tracey said that to me at a seminar when I was a young green belt. It made an impression.

One last thing. Great Topic.

Mark

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think if a black belt is nearly unattainable, then you're probably making way too much of the whole concept of black belt!

As it's been explained to me, earning a black belt means you've met certain basic standards--possibly including time, attendance, effort, attitude, and skills--which allow you to really start training in the art. So I think everyone should ultimately have the chance of earning a black belt, if they meet those standards.

That doesn't mean that all black belts are equal. Some may be better at some skills, others may be better at other skills, and some may be extraordinarily talented. But to quote a friend of mine, "Some people graduate college with an A average, and some people graduate college with C average, but sooner or later, they all graduate."

And while I am skeptical of the two-year black belt, I'll quote another friend: "It's OK if you get your black belt after two years...as long as you realize you've only been training for two years."

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if a black belt is nearly unattainable, then you're probably making way too much of the whole concept of black belt!

As it's been explained to me, earning a black belt means you've met certain basic standards--possibly including time, attendance, effort, attitude, and skills--which allow you to really start training in the art. So I think everyone should ultimately have the chance of earning a black belt, if they meet those standards.

That doesn't mean that all black belts are equal. Some may be better at some skills, others may be better at other skills, and some may be extraordinarily talented. But to quote a friend of mine, "Some people graduate college with an A average, and some people graduate college with C average, but sooner or later, they all graduate."

And while I am skeptical of the two-year black belt, I'll quote another friend: "It's OK if you get your black belt after two years...as long as you realize you've only been training for two years."

Thank you Phoenix...I have been told that the kyu ranks...which I am going through now...are the foundation to begin training in earnest upon earning black belt. I for one really don't care how long it takes to get there...the trip is something to behold.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This is a great analogy to illustrate what I was trying to say in my last post.

Many people try to attend college and fail. They fail because they can't complete the curriculum for whatever reason. Some of these reasons are external; life events, economics, but also the requirements of the curriculum. Some are internal: native intelligence, drive, interest. Martial arts should be, in my opinion, very similar. The main difference is that most Martial Arts styles today make it so that anyone can graduate, devaluing the "degree," in my opinion.

There are also "professional students" who attend school in perpetuity because they LOVE to learn, and yet never acheive the ceremonial recognition of a degree. They don't really care. They audit courses and study and research just because they are fascinated by what they are learning. Earning the degree is irrelevent.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's taken me a while to get to this thread and having read through it I regret that. Some very good insights from everyone; most interesting.

My current sensei's view on 'rank' is that it is all relative. It is a progression by each individual from where they started to where they are.

This of course raises the question of what 'value' does a Black Belt have if they are not all 'equal'? The answer is clearly 'a lot', as if you attain one from a teacher with such an attitude then you have really earned it rather than just jumping through some strictured hoops that may be easy for one and hard for another.

There is also the point that far too much emphasis is placed upon a Black Belt. We've said many times before and disputed over it also that a Black Belt is just the start. You've proved that you can learn the bare minimum to be considered capable of learning the art. It doesn't mean you've 'passed', it just means you have begun to appreciate how to learn and understand it.

I had exactly the same experience in my academic path. When I gained my first degree I was convinced this meant I was one of the smartest people alive (tho' of course degrees were worth something back then :p) :eek:. Then I did my Masters and realised that all I had proven with my B.A. was that I could learn other peoples work. Now I had to understand and interpret the subject itself.

Martial Arts are the same. I don't disdain my rank, I'm proud of it but it's not the 'art'. That I'm still slowly uncovering as I go.

Latest Discussions