Every day use of Martial arts knowledge

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out side of law enforcement or the military how many of you find that what you have learned in the martial arts is used in every day work or life

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out side of law enforcement or the military how many of you find that what you have learned in the martial arts is used in every day work or life

I suppose it depends what you mean by using martial arts in every day work or life - I use some of the things I learned in MA all the time - confidence, respect, perseverance - but not the specific techniques, although the sparring and referee training has come in handy the few times I've had to break up fights at the middle school where I teach.

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
martial arts gave me alot of confidence so when I walked down tall and confident down the halls of my school it deters alot of attackers so thats hadny. ma also gave me a great udnerstanding of how my body moves and gave me greater control of what it could do so it helps with dancing tremendously. I also use my ma for solving fights. I don't mean to sound cocky but many guys tell me that I am hot and beautiful. Several times I have been sexually attacked or have been in a position where people tried to sexually attack me and amrtial arts got me away or hurt less. Also several kids punch each other jokinly but it hurts sometimes so I use my blocking skills. So far it has been nothing major. No real big fights yet. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technique wise, I'd have to say ukemi.

I don't know how many spills I've taken and slapped or rolled out it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best skill I use everyday is the patience I have learned over the years. I believe MA training is more than protecting yourself.
Also the inner peace I use when the day has nothing but bad memorys is also due to my training.
Wisdom to know not everyone or everything can control there everyday life.
Terry

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ya, I've had a couple of those myself, saved by ukemi.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score

You are so right there, even though I hate to admit it! Makes me sound like a klutz or something, but I guess the truth hurts sometimes; on second thought it dosen't hurt that much now that I know how to "fall".

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd say the self control/self discipline plays a part in my daily life. Its certainly helped in the awareness area, and a few times, during the winter months, its come in handy when I slipped on some ice. If it wasn't for the falling skills, it most likely would've ended up getting hurt.

Mike

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My training has so affected my daily life, I don't know where to begin. I see it everywhere, from my body motion and mechanics (the way I leverage things), to the way I think about things, to my spirit about what I encounter in my daily life. My training has permeated all aspects of my life, it is so profound, I don't see myself as the same person I was years ago (not that I was bad).

Additionally, I rely on it often for the inner strength to face the many challenges in my life from trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle to doing the right thing when faced with choices, to being able to live with the consequences of my actions and decisions.

Every day is training, in one form or another. BTW, I did my first 32 mile bicycle ride on Saturday (in about 3 hours). That was fun and grueling (Florida heat and humidity)! I believe my training gave me the inner strength to complete that as well.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Outside of thwe obvious, I use the ability to read people all of the time. Also have used being patient and breathing techniques.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
what you have learned in the martial arts is used in every day work or life

It really helps the "Walter Mitty" aspects of my life

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I look at how my Kenpo effects me physically, mentally, psychologically, morally, and socially.

Physically:
Most here have already touched on how martial arts effects a person physically. Basically, kenpo has made me stronger and I take care of myself better healthwise, so I do not get sick as much and my physical problems tend be more manageable (for example: asthma [not exercise induced]. With Kenpo, I have become stronger with my lungs through breath-training that I have not had the need to use an inhaler for years.) There were times when I fell and knowing how to break fall properly has helped me more times than I could count to avoid being hurt.

Mentally:
I have gained the courage to try doing things I would not have considered previously. Kenpo has given me a "new lease" on life, to do more than just merely dream. Kenpo has challenged me to continue to learn and to analyze more within the martial arts and the world around me. Kenpo has also taught me how to be more calm in stressful situations.

Psychologically:
Kenpo has taught me to face situations that are unavoidable with a better outlook. It also taught me to endure through moments that would or could have caused injury/death, and the strength to see things through. Kenpo has taught me to face my fears and how to handle them.

Morally:
Kenpo has helped me take a hard look at myself and analyze my thought processes. I consider how I say/behave towards others and what I need to do to change myself to think/say/do better.

Socially:
Kenpo has taught me to do more than avoiding people or merely tolerating others. Kenpo has taught me to deal directly with interpersonal relationships and work on resolving/improving these relationships. Kenpo has allowed me to see others for who they are and for what they could be. Kenpo has taught me to take joy in associating with others.

- Ceicei

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that tae kwon do has helped me in a very physical therapy kind of way. I am also much more of a calm person when I go to class regularly.

Besides the Marine Corps I have not found a level of camradiere such that as in moo sul kwan as well. For the most part we are just a bunch of folks wanting to get together and have fun.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me, it helped my self control. I used to have a temper. It got in the way of jobs and such. I still mumble under my breath if I don't like something or someone, but I don't go super phyco anymore and get fired, or quit right there. In fact, the disipline from MA shows in my work (showing up everyday, doing a good job, ect), so my job now loves me :D

It also helped my self esteem. I didn't have any when I was younger. Now I "try" instead of "I can't." My confidence improved as well. I'm willing to try new things, and have confidence that I can do well, or just have the chance to say "I tried" (hey, trying snowboarding at 31 ... now that's confindence .... or stupid LOL. But I caught on quick, and I love it!).

There's a boat load of other stuff that MA helped with, but I don't want to bore you to death LOL.

delicate Flower

White Belt
Reaction score
without using my fists? everyday! I always run into some problem at work and think If I can get thru 22 katas in workout I should be alble to get thru this. Funny though aint it, we train to use our hand in hopes that we never have to, Since i started training I have never lifted a finger to anyone, before a couple of times.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
So how does using martial arts help you then?

Well when your "Walter Mitty" life involves rescueing helpess ladies from biker gangs or single handedly fending off an army of alien nazi zombies, a little Martial Arts knowledge provides some edge to the fantasy :)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sewing.
Yes, sewing.

I have had to sew so many patches and rips over the past 15 years, that sewing has become an acquired side talent from my training.

AoG

Latest Discussions