The Disadvantage of Carrying Weapons

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I meant no disrespect in the post but it relates to this thread my point. People are carrying weapons because they're scared of people with weapons because they're so easy to get which was shown in this incident when the scumbag had over 50 guns in his hotel room. Apologies if anyone's upset by it if anyone wants to delete it go for it makes no difference to me

1) This thread has nothing to do with the point you're making, this thread was addressing the lack of training people have with the weapons they carry on them. 2) You're using a tragedy and trying to make it apply to this thread just to make it clear to everyone what your stance on firearms policy is.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
See this is the whole problem with the world..the fact that 2 elderly women who know sweet FA about guns can go Into a shop and buy a shotgun and a bunch of ammo and off they go and legally this is perfectly fine....it's because dumb logic like this that 50 people in Vegas are dead and over 500 are injured
You really can’t see the idiocy in theses posts? I’ll spell it out for you...

No one who walks into a store and buys guns they truly don’t know how to use is going to be able to pull that off.

Quite a big difference between a sociopath who makes specific and effective plans, knows the weapons inside and out, knows how to alter them, and has the mental defect to actually implement all of that vs someone who buys one to feel safe at night.

Very, very big fundamental difference. If you can’t see that, there’s nothing anyone can say that’ll change what’s in your head. You can’t fix stupid.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In instances like that, the shotgun is not actually for self-defense. It is to lessen the growing feeling of helplessness from getting old, since you can't even run away any more. My Dad did the same thing. As he got older, he started putting a shotgun where he could easily get to it by the back door. He said it was for self-defense, but he also never did more than basically learn how to use it. I figured that it didn't change the odds of him having a home invasion robbery, so it didn't really make much of a difference if he knew how to use it or not. It sat there for years. When he passed away a couple of years ago, I had to give it a thorough cleaning to remove the accumulated dirt from years of neglect. However, it always made him feel better to think that it was there.
There’s pretty much zero chance she’ll actually have to use it. You’re absolutely right, it’s so she can sleep better at night.

But something only needs to go wrong once.

My advice was get rid of the damn gun and get a dog if she’s truly worried. I guess a dog is too much work.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you just carry a .22, the story in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" or "The Hills have Eyes" will never happen.

Texas_chainsaw.jpg

the_hills_have_eyes.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Look. I used to carry a great big head beating maglight. Which was cool but if my force response didn't really justify head beating I really had more advantage putting the thing away. Otherwise all options were basically hold bat. Hit them with it.

I couldn't work in a crowd effectively. Break up fights or really manhandle guys because the risk was always there that it would become part of the problem.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
where do you live that sticks are,available EVERY WHERE? I can walk for many miles with out coming across a stick!

I have mentioned this before but the kiddies in my area were mad keen for beating each other with trolley handles. There is generally a stick if you know where to look.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Folks, my intent was not to fuel a political debate, which in any case is against the rules here on MT and for good reason. Let's bring it down a notch, please.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When we attempt a weapon disarm, that is also a situation escalation, not a de-escalation. When the bad guy pulls a gun on you for your wallet, he is reasonably sure that he is safe, and you are in danger. When you disarm him, he suddenly becomes afraid for his life, his fight or flight response kicks in. He may very well, use that response to overwhelm you, take the gun back and now he kills you, where before he would have been happy with the $20 in your wallet.

And of course you have someones strange gun you may have no idea how to use.

In the defence drills I did with gun disarms I just used to pistol whip guys after I got the gun of them.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
the defence drills I did with gun disarms I just used to pistol whip guys after I got the gun of them.

Not the best idea. Real easy for an accidental discharge while "pistol whipping" someone.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not the best idea. Real easy for an accidental discharge while "pistol whipping" someone.
I was going to say I wonder how easy it would be for the gun to go off during a pistol whip.

It’s all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Then it’s hilarious

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I meant no disrespect in the post but it relates to this thread my point. People are carrying weapons because they're scared of people with weapons because they're so easy to get which was shown in this incident when the scumbag had over 50 guns in his hotel room. Apologies if anyone's upset by it if anyone wants to delete it go for it makes no difference to me
As I said before, making such posts not only risks them being deleted but also risks the thread being locked down. I don't think most of us want this thread locked down just because of your political posts.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think there is a meaningful and important difference between carrying weapons out and about and having weapons available for home defense.

Oh, and rabble rabble. I don’t want to be left out of the rabble rousing going on. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there is a meaningful and important difference between carrying weapons out and about and having weapons available for home defense.

So you should be able to protect yourself at your home....but be at your attacker's mercy outside your home? :p

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as the US bans me owning my own personal defense orangatuan named Clyde, I will continue to carry CCW.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the US bans me owning my own personal defense orangatuan named Clyde, I will continue to carry CCW.

I have to disagree with you here, I believe a gorilla would be more effective though baboons are disturbingly aggressive.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course you have someones strange gun you may have no idea how to use.

Spurious. All guns (at least any that it's reasonable to consider in this context) operate in exactly the same manner. Point and squeeze the trigger.

No it's not. Not unless you're violating one of the fundamentals of gun handling by putting your finger on the trigger when you shouldn't.

Because you're not supposed to protect yourself when you're outside your home?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed its pathetic guns are cowards weapons

I hope this is supposed to be funny, because otherwise this makes you look an incredible buffoon.

If you turn this into a political debate, the thread will be locked. Period.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you here, I believe a gorilla would be more effective though baboons are disturbingly aggressive.

The gorilla will certainly bring more brute force to the party, but I think the orangutan is smarter, and I like having smarts on my side.

Latest Discussions