The Disadvantage of Carrying Weapons

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gorilla will certainly bring more brute force to the party, but I think the orangutan is smarter, and I like having smarts on my side.

What you really need is what I have by my side , a Rockape.

il_340x270.604561258_9cnc.jpg

CDR_Glock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Weapons can be force multipliers. As such, they can be effective in self-defense use. There is no doubt that a knife or a gun is more deadly in more circumstances than empty hands. There is no doubt that both types of weapons, especially firearms, can be used effectively in self-defense by people who otherwise would not be equipped to defend themselves, for example the aged or infirm.

So weapons, in general, are a good thing. I'm for them. This is not an anti-weapons diatribe.

However, carrying weapons, any kind of weapons, for self-defense, has some disadvantages as well. I think people don't always consider those before they decide to venture outside armed.

A weapon, to be effective, must be practiced with. The user must become proficient. This is something that some people take seriously. Others, however, do not. They buy a gun or a knife or a stick or a can of pepper spray or a stunner and they test it once or twice, put it away or drop it in a pocket, purse, glovebox, or throw it under the seat of their car and forget about it. You can certainly get lucky deploying a weapon you haven't trained with, but it's probably more likely that you won't.

Which brings me to my next point, which is that far too many people (in my opinion) think a weapon is a magic talisman. The idea in their mind is that they'll be attacked or confronted by a bad guy, they will casually unholster their concealed boom stick, wave it around a bit, and everything will magically get better. I'm here to tell you, typically it will not. After brandishing a weapon, if it goes to the next step, you had better be prepared and trained to use it as it was intended; there goes the magic wand effect.

Weapons, to be effective, not only have to be trained with to the point of proficiency, but they must be with you when you need them. This brings me to my next point, which involves carry. If you're going to carry, carry. In my opinion, despite the fact that a whole bunch of people will respond to this thread and say they carry every day in every way, most people who are licensed to carry seldom do. They carry infrequently, in my opinion. I've never seen a study done, so this is just one man's opinion, but I know quite a few people with concealed carry permits and they have nearly all told me that there are times when they just decide not to carry. They are making a 'quick trip' to the gas station, or church, or it's hot and they're wearing light summer clothing, or they are going to church or the beach or a bar and they don't want to leave their weapon in the car, or (and I hear this one a lot) the gun is too heavy and prints through their clothes, or they just don't think they're going to need it wherever they happen to be going. Whatever. The point is, people licensed to carry often do not carry. That is when you're going to need it - when you don't have it.

I read comments from people who would have us believe that they carry everywhere, including the shower and bed and when making sweet sweet love, and furthermore, they generally have several guns with them at all times. I call BS. Just saying.

In addition to actually obtaining a carry permit and becoming proficient and actually carrying, one must also become more than slightly familiar with the laws where they live concerning self-defense and the use of deadly force. Not having a thorough understanding of when you can and cannot employ your weapon is of vital importance if you wish to remain out of prison and not have your life's work taken away by a civil lawsuit. One must become familiar with ancillary laws such as where you can carry, how you can legally transport, duty to notify others and/or law enforcement, and so on.

Finally, one must remember this. Any weapon you choose to use is also a weapon against you if it is taken away by the bad guy. So you must become proficient in weapon retention as well as learning to use the weapon. If you draw a knife in a confrontation and the bad guy takes it from you, you have a real problem on your hands.

Moreover, depending on what kind of weapon you're using, you now have to defend the weapon with one hand, because the other hand is busy holding the weapon itself. Congratulations, you just voluntarily made yourself a one-armed person. Even if you haven't drawn your weapon but are carrying it on your person, now you have to defend it from being taken from you; it's like you are now defending yourself and another person, and believe me, that's harder than simply defending yourself.

Finally, when a weapon is introduced into a violent situation, the chances that the situation will now end up involving deadly force is much higher. Once a knife or a gun is brought into the equation, the chances are much higher that someone is going to be shot, stabbed, or sliced. Consider that the situation may well not call for such an outcome. I'm not suggesting that a person should not defend their own lives with deadly force if need be, but that it's important to remember that a standard fistfight between a couple of drunks usually doesn't result in death (it can of course, but it usually doesn't). Somebody draws a pistol and starts firing, and now it's a massacre instead of a drunken brawl.

In conclusion, again, I say I am not against weapons. They are effective force-multipliers when used properly. But they are not magic wands, and there is a tuition to be paid and risks to be taken when one chooses to go about armed. Consider that before deciding to carry.

Carrying a firearm requires a lot of training, knowledge about the weapon system, knowledge of the law, and understanding the limitations of the weapon system.

That does not even include the complexities of how to carry, concealed or open carry.

Regular practice is important, not only for competency but also when drawing the firearm, determining timing, and also when to draw and fire.

Above all, situational awareness and intuition rise above all of that for me. I go above and beyond the average citizen’s ideas of what to do. Honestly, I can outshoot and outdraw most individuals.

It is still with an understanding that if a situation can be avoided, irregardless of a weapon or the ability to fight, that I do so.

By most laws, deadly force is justified in the event of a carjacking, robbery, rape, abduction, robbery, or in a case where where is a disparity of force. It is not in the case of a bar fight or physical altercation. Most places don’t even allow carry where alcohol is served. All places don’t allow carry while drinking, either.

Gun laws on carrying are laid out to protect the average citizen and certain areas are prohibited, such as federal buildings, post offices, school, court houses, law enforcement facilities, etc.

It isn’t the Wild West where you can just draw on someone, either, just because they’re an *******. Brandishing is punishable by law. It can only be drawn in a self defense situation.

The average non-gun carrier would not have any idea of the extent of the laws and regulations, let alone the subtleties.

—-
The other day, I was craving food from a restaurant. It was 25 minutes from home. An individual was walking and I thought he wanted to cross the street. I motioned to him to cross but he shrugged it off and he tried to approach my car. I drove forward and through, not acknowledging him. He had a strange walk with a stagger. I moved two rows away from him at the parking lot to park. He made eye contact, and was walking towards my car again. I was armed, and I could have proceeded to go to the restaurant but I had a weird vibe about him. I just decided to drive off and go to a plan B. I always carry a semiautomatic, a revolver and a smaller revolver with me. That day I did not want to have to resort to a situation as any situation can he avoidable.
—-

It is a complex area that will bring a lot of heated discussion. But then again, Deadly force for self defense whether it’s by martial arts or a weapon is a complex topic.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carrying a firearm requires a lot of training, knowledge about the weapon system, knowledge of the law, and understanding the limitations of the weapon system.

It's really not that complicated.

That does not even include the complexities of how to carry, concealed or open carry.

I've been carrying for something like 20 years. It's not complicated.

The biggest disadvantage I see to carrying a weapon is the problems encountered in public restrooms...

CDR_Glock

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's really not that complicated.

I've been carrying for something like 20 years. It's not complicated.

The biggest disadvantage I see to carrying a weapon is the problems encountered in public restrooms...

That may be the case, but reading endless threads of what holster to use, printing or does my gun make my *** look big reveals that most people over complicated it.

As for public restrooms, I go into a stall. Last think I want to do is drop a firearm or worse, leave it.

I’ve been carrying for half of the time as you. I shoot 4-6 times a month.

What do you carry?

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be the case, but reading endless threads of what holster to use, printing or does my gun make my *** look big reveals that most people over complicated it.

You can make anything complicated, if you want to. But carrying a gun is not inherently complicated.

As for public restrooms, I go into a stall. Last think I want to do is drop a firearm or worse, leave it.

I think every stall should have a shelf to put your gun on. It'd make pulling your pants back up a lot easier...

I’ve been carrying for half of the time as you. I shoot 4-6 times a month.

What do you carry?

Depends on the day, but the majority of the time I carry a Glock 19.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think oftentimes people overcomplicate it because they don't want people to think they are reckless or unsafe.

But I agree with DD....carying and using a firearm is simple, it just takes a little training and practice.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I can outshoot and outdraw most individuals

Can you?

Ever done any force on force gunfighting with simmunitions? It's a great eye opener to see how well your skills translate when matched up against someone shooting back.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a trunk monkey is best.

My husband's feelings are hurt now. :D Still, there's very little he doesn't know about weapons big and small, having fired most things in anger somewhere around the world, if you ask him he will tell you the people who should have their guns taken off them are those in certain parts of the world who fire in the air for the slightest little excuse. Celebrating etc by doing that is just plain stupid.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think oftentimes people overcomplicate it because they don't want people to think they are reckless or unsafe.

But I agree with DD....carying and using a firearm is simple, it just takes a little training and practice.

Anyone can buy a law book. If they read it a lot, they may learn something about the laws. Doesn't make them a lawyer.

Proper training with a firearm makes one proficient with the firearm. It doesn't automatically confer knowledge about when and when not to employ it. CCW training may provide some of that information, but now in 13 of the 50 states, no carry permit is required, no training, no certification necessary.

I would argue that from a moral point of view, mere proficiency is grossly insufficient when carrying a firearm. I am not interested in politics or the laws about training/carrying here. I am saying that a person who is able to safely carry and accurately shoot a firearm only is woefully unprepared to use it in self-defense in most circumstances.

Unlike martial arts training, where something is generally better than nothing, mere proficiency with the firearm without all the accompanying requirements is worse than not carrying at all.

In other words, the guy who carries three guns at all times on his person (good grief) and can shoot straight and draw fast, but who knows jack about when, where, how and why they may shoot, how to retain their weapon from a person determined to take it from them, and so on, is more a danger to the community than an unarmed person. I am not claiming Johnny Three-Guns is not also knowledgeable about the above, I'm using it as an example. Three guns. For crying out loud.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
516B4C52-B5CA-4A01-A24D-CA79C764F7D2.jpeg
My husband's feelings are hurt now. :D Still, there's very little he doesn't know about weapons big and small, having fired most things in anger somewhere around the world, if you ask him he will tell you the people who should have their guns taken off them are those in certain parts of the world who fire in the air for the slightest little excuse. Celebrating etc by doing that is just plain stupid.
I like the sign my brother in law told me about in the jail he used to work at. Similar to this one...

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weapons can be force multipliers. As such, they can be effective in self-defense use. There is no doubt that a knife or a gun is more deadly in more circumstances than empty hands. There is no doubt that both types of weapons, especially firearms, can be used effectively in self-defense by people who otherwise would not be equipped to defend themselves, for example the aged or infirm.

So weapons, in general, are a good thing. I'm for them. This is not an anti-weapons diatribe.

However, carrying weapons, any kind of weapons, for self-defense, has some disadvantages as well. I think people don't always consider those before they decide to venture outside armed.

A weapon, to be effective, must be practiced with. The user must become proficient. This is something that some people take seriously. Others, however, do not. They buy a gun or a knife or a stick or a can of pepper spray or a stunner and they test it once or twice, put it away or drop it in a pocket, purse, glovebox, or throw it under the seat of their car and forget about it. You can certainly get lucky deploying a weapon you haven't trained with, but it's probably more likely that you won't.

Which brings me to my next point, which is that far too many people (in my opinion) think a weapon is a magic talisman. The idea in their mind is that they'll be attacked or confronted by a bad guy, they will casually unholster their concealed boom stick, wave it around a bit, and everything will magically get better. I'm here to tell you, typically it will not. After brandishing a weapon, if it goes to the next step, you had better be prepared and trained to use it as it was intended; there goes the magic wand effect.

Weapons, to be effective, not only have to be trained with to the point of proficiency, but they must be with you when you need them. This brings me to my next point, which involves carry. If you're going to carry, carry. In my opinion, despite the fact that a whole bunch of people will respond to this thread and say they carry every day in every way, most people who are licensed to carry seldom do. They carry infrequently, in my opinion. I've never seen a study done, so this is just one man's opinion, but I know quite a few people with concealed carry permits and they have nearly all told me that there are times when they just decide not to carry. They are making a 'quick trip' to the gas station, or church, or it's hot and they're wearing light summer clothing, or they are going to church or the beach or a bar and they don't want to leave their weapon in the car, or (and I hear this one a lot) the gun is too heavy and prints through their clothes, or they just don't think they're going to need it wherever they happen to be going. Whatever. The point is, people licensed to carry often do not carry. That is when you're going to need it - when you don't have it.

I read comments from people who would have us believe that they carry everywhere, including the shower and bed and when making sweet sweet love, and furthermore, they generally have several guns with them at all times. I call BS. Just saying.

In addition to actually obtaining a carry permit and becoming proficient and actually carrying, one must also become more than slightly familiar with the laws where they live concerning self-defense and the use of deadly force. Not having a thorough understanding of when you can and cannot employ your weapon is of vital importance if you wish to remain out of prison and not have your life's work taken away by a civil lawsuit. One must become familiar with ancillary laws such as where you can carry, how you can legally transport, duty to notify others and/or law enforcement, and so on.

Finally, one must remember this. Any weapon you choose to use is also a weapon against you if it is taken away by the bad guy. So you must become proficient in weapon retention as well as learning to use the weapon. If you draw a knife in a confrontation and the bad guy takes it from you, you have a real problem on your hands.

Moreover, depending on what kind of weapon you're using, you now have to defend the weapon with one hand, because the other hand is busy holding the weapon itself. Congratulations, you just voluntarily made yourself a one-armed person. Even if you haven't drawn your weapon but are carrying it on your person, now you have to defend it from being taken from you; it's like you are now defending yourself and another person, and believe me, that's harder than simply defending yourself.

Finally, when a weapon is introduced into a violent situation, the chances that the situation will now end up involving deadly force is much higher. Once a knife or a gun is brought into the equation, the chances are much higher that someone is going to be shot, stabbed, or sliced. Consider that the situation may well not call for such an outcome. I'm not suggesting that a person should not defend their own lives with deadly force if need be, but that it's important to remember that a standard fistfight between a couple of drunks usually doesn't result in death (it can of course, but it usually doesn't). Somebody draws a pistol and starts firing, and now it's a massacre instead of a drunken brawl.

In conclusion, again, I say I am not against weapons. They are effective force-multipliers when used properly. But they are not magic wands, and there is a tuition to be paid and risks to be taken when one chooses to go about armed. Consider that before deciding to carry.
Truth and wisdom right here.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I need to show this post to my mother. Maybe it’ll talk some sense into her.

Her sister got her onto a gun kick. Or should I say paranoia. She recently convinced my mother she needs to buy a shotgun. The whole ‘you’re a 60 year woman living alone and what happens if someone breaks in’ speech.

So my aunt and mother each buy a shotgun and some shells (bullets? whatever they’re specifically called) from a local sporting goods chain store. They then to a gun range with a friend (who doesn’t know his a$$ from a hole in the ground) who teaches them how to load and fire it over the course of an hour or so. They both think they’re good to go. Seriously.

I asked her who and when she’s allowed to shoot. Shoulder shrug. How far away they need to be. Shoulder shrug. What’s going to keep someone from shooting you with your own gun. Shoulder shrug.

Ever think of taking a gun safety course? Ever think of asking a LEO or attorney the legal ramifications?

She’ll get to that later. Sure.

Old people are ALWAYS right... I know the feeling. :rolleyes::hilarious:

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spurious. All guns (at least any that it's reasonable to consider in this context) operate in exactly the same manner. Point and squeeze the trigger.
And for it to go bang when you squeeze the trigger, depending on the gun that might require certain conditions to be met. For instance, with the Beretta m9 the decocker lever has to be up or it will not fire.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In other words, the guy who carries three guns at all times on his person (good grief) and can shoot straight and draw fast, but who knows jack about when, where, how and why they may shoot, how to retain their weapon from a person determined to take it from them, and so on, is more a danger to the community than an unarmed person. I am not claiming Johnny Three-Guns is not also knowledgeable about the above, I'm using it as an example. Three guns. For crying out loud.
Pick the level of paranoia to which you subscribe.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Three guns. For crying out loud.
perfect example of my anxiety compensation theory.
anxiety from the inability and helplessness to defend one's self leads to an increasing and growing need for more control due to the expanding awareness of one's weakness. so one gun is good for awhile until it occurs to you that you also need one under your pillow and next to the door, strapped to you leg, one under the sink and one behind the toilet.

Latest Discussions