Personal carrying preferances

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't have said it any better Steve.
on the same note, better to have a permit and never use it than to need one and not have it.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Couldn't have said it any better Steve.
on the same note, better to have a permit and never use it than to need one and not have it.

I'll be at the Sheriff's office in 70 days. You guys can count on it.

One other comment. The compromise that allowed the law to pass was that the press would have the ability to obtain a list of all the permit holders. Some members of the state legislature stated that if this was abused, such as posting the whole list in the paper, the privilage would be eliminated. Not two days after the law passed a local writer stated in an editorial that she would post all the permit holders in her article. Her justification was that she didn't want her children to go to play at a house where there are guns present and wanted to make sure other parents have this option.

-This seems ludicrous, because it only identifies the people with CCWs, not the people with guns for home defense. Her kids could still be playing at a gun owners home and she wouldn't know.

-How does this affect the CCW holders besides trying to brand them with a scarlet letter that most don't care about wearing? It does however allow criminals to know who isn't carrying, effectively identifying easy targets.

-Should there be a penalty for publishing this information as it is blatently disregarding the stated limits of the press's privilage.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yes there should be a penalty. Bad/biased reporter should be publicly flogged, then tar & feathered.

In reality they will probably get awards for contributing to public awareness of the gun threat.

B

Black Bear

Question for Phil Elmore.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not a gun guy, but your grip on the gun and flashlight just look terribly awkward. It looks like you could really have an accidental trigger pull there. Why do you prefer it to the more common grip, say with your flashlight in reverse grip with the back of the wrist braced under the wrist of the gun hand?

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
One of the reasons Ioriginally got my CCW was because I could. IF the anti-gun lobby has it's way, it will become far more difficult in subsequent years. It is easier to renew a license than it is to get a new one. It is easier for them to tell you no you can't have one if you never have.....

H

HongKong Fooey

I too live in OHIO and look forward to taking my course ...

Is there a list of approved sites for the course or a sign up ?

BW :asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Check with the NRA or look for an Izaak Walton League in your area. If neither of those pans out, check with your local or county police. They usuallyhave several officers on staff that are firearms instructors that can probably get you in the right direction.

OP
OULobo

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by HongKong Fooey
I too live in OHIO and look forward to taking my course ...

Is there a list of approved sites for the course or a sign up ?

BW :asian:

They haven't released any acceptable courses and the Sheriff won't release any info until the 90 wait for the law to get enacted is over. Patients is key.

M

mandirigma

OULobo:
Good thread! As some have mentioned, when you buy a gun, buy a gun safe at the same time. Your pistol should either be on you or in your lock box. The safest place for your pistol is on your person, under your direct control. When looking for a lockbox, think about 5 sec. acquisition as a reasonable rule of thumb. Anything longer than about 5 sec. and you might be kidding yourself- put it in your "big safe."
Also, anyone who carries sidearms should carry OC. Fox brand is most recommended. OC spray solves many situations more cleanly than pistols from legal, moral, financial and even tactical perspectives.

Black Bear:
Great question! If I might offer an answer: There are multiple ways to run pistol/light combos, argued ad nauseum. Note, however, that the technique in the picture should not engender an accidental discharge. What prevents accidental discharges is the trigger finger in "register" (extended, on the frame, not hovering in space or extended along the trigger guard). Running a light should not compromise your ability to have your finger in register (no technique should).

The flashlight in the picture is designed to be used that way- sometimes called the "syringe technique- and came into vogue maybe 5 years ago. It works well. Hands back to back w/ the light in "reverse" is the Harries. Most will find the Harries technique is faster, less cumbersome than the syringe in actual live-fire drills (reloading, clearing stoppages, etc.). With a big light the Harries is very tiring, however.

There are no perfect solutions, just reasonable compromises.

Be safe!

:asian: