The courtesy of a call...

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well we are a commercial school so a call in to advise that you are not going to be there is not as necessary. If I had a one on one training then I would call as soon as I knew that there was a problem and I could not come in. I also like to tell the Instructors know if I am going to be out for vacations and such.

I think that peoples time is precious if you are not going to be there it is just common courtesy to call and let them know I am not coming. How would your students feel If you did not show up, leaving them standing on the sidewalk waiting. They would probably be angry with you.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well we are a commercial school so a call in to advise that you are not going to be there is not as necessary. If I had a one on one training then I would call as soon as I knew that there was a problem and I could not come in. I also like to tell the Instructors know if I am going to be out for vacations and such. .

Yes, this is just basic etiquette!

I think that peoples time is precious if you are not going to be there it is just common courtesy to call and let them know I am not coming. How would your students feel If you did not show up, leaving them standing on the sidewalk waiting. They would probably be angry with you.

If I was a paying student and the instructor didn't turn up, I would be pissed, unless the reason was good enough. The student however is in no way obliged to turn up for class. The instructor has a responsibility to be there. When it comes to having a commercial school, then the instructor's livelihood is at stake.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, this is just basic etiquette!

If I was a paying student and the instructor didn't turn up, I would be pissed, unless the reason was good enough. The student however is in no way obliged to turn up for class....

I don't really agree with that last part. I teach at the Y and privately at a city park, always to a small group. My Y students pay YMCA fees, but I volunteer my time and have to drive to class to teach. And, if they just don't bother to show, the other student's training suffers for the lack of partners. My private group is pretty tight, and I expect a bit more. If somebody wants to train just as a "customer" they can try a session at the Y, then go do aerobics or spinning next time.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really agree with that last part. I teach at the Y and privately at a city park, always to a small group. My Y students pay YMCA fees, but I volunteer my time and have to drive to class to teach. And, if they just don't bother to show, the other student's training suffers for the lack of partners. My private group is pretty tight, and I expect a bit more. If somebody wants to train just as a "customer" they can try a session at the Y, then go do aerobics or spinning next time.

Good point, I suppose the situation differs on a case by case basis.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I've had a couple of classes during some summers, where only a few (5 or 6) showed up for certain classes. I hated it! I don't think I'd stick around for 1 or 2 students, though... anything less than 5, and I cancel that particular class. If it happens on a consistent basis - I'd close down shop for good. But I run a business with expenses of almost $2,000 per month - so I need atleast 20 paying students, just to cover my over-head.

I see and understand your point. In my case with my GM, I think he was just that way. Also, for some reason, he seemed to like me and my training ethic, coming 5 days a week, sometimes on Saturdays. I would come even if injured and do what I could. Not everyone did that. It was just fun and personally satisfying to me, but not all students came that often.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We train at Sifu's house, there are five of us. I you are late to class, he charges I think it's $10.00 if you are up to a half hour late. Later than half hour, is $20.00. If you are a no-show, I think he charges more.

The exception is if you call to tell him you need to be late or need to miss class. That's just being courteous and that's OK.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Common courtesy for a small group or training mix.

If you're at a large commercial school, you're a bill payer/income stream & chances are, it's an autodraft with a contract attached to your money, so it doesn't matter.

I teach for free at a local rec center. Well, it's not really local to me, but it's in my county. The kids I teach are pretty good about being there & their parents let me know if they're not so I can plan accordingly. If I can avoid a 30 mile round trip @ $3.50+ a gallon with a phone call, I'm happy.

Kemposhot

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In a small group I think a bit more is expected as one person being absent really effects the class. If a call or text can help that out then it shouldn't be to much to ask for as a text message saying you can't make it can take a maximum or what 30 seconds to type out?

While as in a big commercial school, or one with plenty of people, its more common and easier for people to miss class. After all, students are paying to be there, if they choose not to come then its really their loss in this situation.

Latest Discussions