The courtesy of a call...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Along with self-defense, fighting skills, self discipline, confidence, fitness and the like, traditional martial arts are often said to stress courtesy, respect and etiquette. As a teacher of a small class that only meets twice a week, one of my pet peeves is attendance. Since my group is small, a few absences can really affect the whole class, especially if I've planned to introduce new material. I fully understand that things come up and sometimes a student simply can't make it that night. Still, I really appreciate it if they let me know with a call, text or email. And, I've frequently said as much in class.

Today I just got such a call from a fairly new student. I really appreciated his showing me that courtesy, and I said so. I just wish some of the other students were as responsible. I recently had a conversation on this topic with my own instructor in Texas. He feels exactly the same way, even though he runs a much larger school with several branches. I wonder if it's a generational thing (I am getting on into middle age), a matter of upbringing, or just a lack of consideration. Any thoughts?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We ask our students to do the same. We run a small club, and honestly, there have been times (fewer of late) where we showed up, and no students did. Given a bit of notice, we could have saved a trip to the school, and freed up an evening. It can also frustrate class planning because we may not have enough people -- or may not have the person who we specifically aimed a class at -- there for some exercises. And... believe it or not, we actually give a damn about the students and want to know that they're OK!

Everybody has things come up unexpectedly. I've had times when I'm held over at work; it happens. But you get word to someone to let them know.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sadly, common courtesy and common sense are in equally short supply.

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Along with self-defense, fighting skills, self discipline, confidence, fitness and the like, traditional martial arts are often said to stress courtesy, respect and etiquette. As a teacher of a small class that only meets twice a week, one of my pet peeves is attendance. Since my group is small, a few absences can really affect the whole class, especially if I've planned to introduce new material. I fully understand that things come up and sometimes a student simply can't make it that night. Still, I really appreciate it if they let me know with a call, text or email. And, I've frequently said as much in class.

Today I just got such a call from a fairly new student. I really appreciated his showing me that courtesy, and I said so. I just wish some of the other students were as responsible. I recently had a conversation on this topic with my own instructor in Texas. He feels exactly the same way, even though he runs a much larger school with several branches. I wonder if it's a generational thing (I am getting on into middle age), a matter of upbringing, or just a lack of consideration. Any thoughts?

How much notice do you need? How late can they call in to cancel?

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
i have only missed one class. I knew I was going to miss it so I told Sabumnin the class before the one I was missing. We are pretty small too so it is an impact if even one person is missing.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My sensei always says if you show up in front of me, I’ll teach you, if you don’t I won’t. He doesn’t want notes or calls because he’ll forget. He is practicing at that time regardless of who shows up.

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How much notice do you need? How late can they call in to cancel?

Heck, I'd even appreciate a call the next day... something like, "Sorry I missed class last night, sifu, but some unexpected stuff came up. I'll definitely be there next time." It's the considerate thing to do.

OzPaul

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train at quite a small school also and i always either e-mail (my preferred method) or if need be text my instructor. I do it out of courtesy as he may have planned to help me out with something that night or was hoping that new material could be shown which would have additional material to come the next lesson etc. I also play indoor soccer and it s^*ts me when people don't turn up without letting anyone know!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Much like Ken's situation, my teacher would probably be training anyway, but I've never missed a class without sending an e-mail. We had a tornado recently, so I felt compelled to call...short notice and all.

From a viewpoint of newly teaching, I have to say it is disconcerting to arrange to meet someone on a regular basis, have a no-show, and have to wait till the next class for an explanation. But it was a good lesson for me.

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know... I fully understand that it bothers you and affects the classes - and I'm speaking from a different experience than your own (most of my classes have atleast 12 or more) - but - these are people who I assume pay for these classes and therefore, they really don't owe you a call, Email, text, or anything other than that check at the start of each new month.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My classes are very small and if someone dose not show up it makes me change what I had planned for the night. Few ever call to say they are not going to be there but I may see them on the street going some where with their friends just before class. To me it says they really do not care much about their training and that they have not learned some of the important lessons of the school.
And I teach for free so it is my time they are wasting if no one shows up. They are also being discourteous to their fellow classmates who may not get the information planned because enough students are there to do the planned activity.
I know life changes peoples plans from one moment to the next but I do not consider fishing, rock climbing, or swimming to be a good reason to miss a class they have said they would be at

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know... I fully understand that it bothers you and affects the classes - and I'm speaking from a different experience than your own (most of my classes have atleast 12 or more) - but - these are people who I assume pay for these classes and therefore, they really don't owe you a call, Email, text, or anything other than that check at the start of each new month.

Well, there is merit to that. But some explanation would be a courtesy, either before or after. When I taught, I had very small classes. Sometimes only two people. They were dedicated learners, and seldom missed; and it let me get teaching time and keep up my skills. They always tried to let me know, even if it was only a note on the door when I got there. I appreciated even that.

As mentioned above, not coming affects other students sometimes as well. When I was in Korea, there was a period of time my GM agreed to teach some of us over the lunch hour, 5 times a week. It got to where there were three of us. The other two weren't as consistent as I. If one of both didn't come, my GM taught anyway. The class time was just as long. There was a certain amount of time for stretching, warmups, kicking, etc. So I got to do part of their physical training too. I used to beg them to come.
icon10.gif

Champ-Pain

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, there is merit to that. But some explanation would be a courtesy, either before or after. When I taught, I had very small classes. Sometimes only two people. They were dedicated learners, and seldom missed; and it let me get teaching time and keep up my skills. They always tried to let me know, even if it was only a note on the door when I got there. I appreciated even that.

As mentioned above, not coming affects other students sometimes as well. When I was in Korea, there was a period of time my GM agreed to teach some of us over the lunch hour, 5 times a week. It got to where there were three of us. The other two weren't as consistent as I. If one of both didn't come, my GM taught anyway. The class time was just as long. There was a certain amount of time for stretching, warmups, kicking, etc. So I got to do part of their physical training too. I used to beg them to come.
icon10.gif
I know what you mean. I've had a couple of classes during some summers, where only a few (5 or 6) showed up for certain classes. I hated it! I don't think I'd stick around for 1 or 2 students, though... anything less than 5, and I cancel that particular class. If it happens on a consistent basis - I'd close down shop for good. But I run a business with expenses of almost $2,000 per month - so I need atleast 20 paying students, just to cover my over-head.

Last edited:

Sensei Payne

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is really common in whatever your doing..

Martial Arts seems to be the big one, because people actually have to do work in class.

Other things I have had this same problem with is.
D&D groups
LAN Parties
Volunteer work at a Church Picnic
Seminars
Demonstration events.
etc

It happens, and its not a Martial Artist thing..its a human thing. I am not going waste the gas going to class when no one is going to be there.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oops. I neglected to mention that I don't pay to train, and have passed that along to anyone that wants to train with me.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A commercial club is a different situation; you schedule the classes, they pay, so you're obligated no matter what. I'm a non-commercial set up; dues are to cover the facility rent, and occasionally defray some expenses for instructors. But to show up with no students means I've burnt gas to get there (lately, that's been a significant cost) and it's just disrespectful of my time for me to show for the regularly scheduled class and have nobody show.

Like others have said, stuff happens. I understand. I even understand you may not be able to call sometimes (if I get held up at work, I can't necessarily call, for example). But check in so I know you're OK...

Now, if it's a private lesson/training session that I set up... I give you a window. If you show up late without a call -- I've become busy. If you don't show at all... well, if it becomes a habit, I become unavailable.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Muay Thai school. He works by day and trains in the school in the evening. I typically train Monday, Wednesday and Fri evening with him. I turned up to his school a litle late afew weeks ago and there was nobody else training but him. He was jumping rope and just invited me to join him. I asked him where the usual suspects were. He just shrugged. He trains for the love of it. If nobody else turns up, he'll be there training hard. That's the difference between someone who loves what they do, and someone who does it to pay the bills, or because they feel obliged to be there for others.

By the way, below is the only reason you should need a call from a student!

Like others have said, stuff happens. I understand. I even understand you may not be able to call sometimes (if I get held up at work, I can't necessarily call, for example). But check in so I know you're OK...

Last edited:

Latest Discussions