The best bang for your buck?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know it's difficult to take any one thing out of context, but, hey, it's a forum. So....

What do you think it the best/most effective single technique in fighting arts (weaponless)?

Or....in striking arts? Or in grappling arts? And of course....why?

And not necessarily YOUR favorite technique, which is a different conversation. For instance, my favorite technique in striking is an uppercut or a sidekick. But I don't think either is even close to the best technique in striking. (and they do not blend well together)

I suppose we could go with - whichever is the easiest to use and successfully land, or which has the best desired result in a single application overall.

To me, the best technique ever invented is the rear naked choke.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's really hard to break it down that way because most techniques depend on other techniques to work. The RNC is great, but it's useless without all the techniques that put you in position to use it.

Also, the next question that comes to mind is "best/most effective for what purpose?" It's like asking "what is the best/most effective tool in your toolbox?" Is it the hammer? The phillips-head screwdriver? The saw? The socket wrench? Each is "best" for its own purpose, but fairly useless for other purposes.

That said, I'll try to get into the spirit of the question. I might nominate the straight rear punch, as being a very high-percentage move in a wide variety of unarmed fighting situations, that can be effective even without the support of other techniques. (Obviously, it is even more effective when it does have the support of those other techniques.) Alternately, I would support the basic side/back breakfall as it can be a lifesaver even when you aren't in a fight.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Guard.

It revolutionized MA, and it can be devastatingly effective if employed properly.

I don't know if you'd call it a technique though.

Anyway;

Yeah....

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Guard.
I don't know if you'd call it a technique though.

Yeah, I wouldn't. It's a huge area of positional study encompassing hundreds or even thousands of techniques. It's like saying your favorite technique is "striking" or "takedowns."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In terms of most commonly used technique, as a striker I'd say just a plain old jab. While it's not going to end many conflicts, it's certainly good for keeping your opponent on the defensive and setting them up for something a bit more devastating.
"Watch my hands... watch my hands... watch my hands... oooops. Did you forget to watch that foot?"

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow! A bit like, 'what is your favourite food'?

I'll go for the point of the elbow strike. If it makes contact it is all over, it's not going to be damaged and it is versatile.
:asian:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite move is the parry, simple easy block from there you can push to the side, grab and throw/flip/pull, or just set them up for what's coming next :s54:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't. It's a huge area of positional study encompassing hundreds or even thousands of techniques. It's like saying your favorite technique is "striking" or "takedowns."

Duly noted. :)

In that case, I choose the Triangle Choke. Sneaky, and very effective in multiple circumstances.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In regards to a striking situation, and if appropriate to the situation, a forearm or edge-of-hand to the side of the neck. My highlight for this was a meth'd out idiot trying to sucker punch me. A bit taller than me and outweighed me by an easy 50lbs. The way I raised my right arm to cover allowed me a quick right-left with the EOH to either side of his neck. Dropped him.

Latest Discussions