The Ashida Kim Challenge.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How about the following sensational headline:

Martial Talk Member Issues Million Dollar Open Challenge!

I'll pay anybody a million U.S dollars to fight and beat me. Anytime, anywhere. It's gotta be true because you read it here in writing! :confused:

Oh, did I mention that it has to be strictly a no-touch, chi-only bout. And you have to stay far enough away that I won't be annoyed by your breath, body-odor, or ugly appearance. And you need to put down a million bucks in advance to pay me if you lose. Victory will be determined by vaporizing the opponent with a single chi blast. But if you fail to vaporize me and I decide to spare you, that will be considered a victory for me. Unless you've got a better idea. Anybody with a better deal is free to post it! :D

BTW accumulating million bucks for me is darn near as much of a total impossibility as zapping somebody with chi-balls.:p

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I heard the DVD special edition comes with 3d glasses so you can see his astral ninja. Yes he really claims to have these:p

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sooooooooo........:confused: he breaks his opponents neck "3" times? ANNNND rips the face off TWICE?? :blackeye:?
he seems to lose his balance 2 times there when hes showing the stomps but that "Finish" wow! thats the most deadly move i have ever seen! :vomit:
Well, if you rip the face off only once, it might grow back before you're done. Think, man. Think!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least the 'kiai master' attempted to fight the MMA guy, you'd wait a long time before Ashida Kim ever had the guts to try.
Unfortunately, that probably means the kiai master thought he was going to win. Ashida Kim knows he won't.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ashida Kim - The Martial Arts Encyclopedia

Bullshido has a very thorough article on Ashida Kim.

But even so, who doesn't want to be a ninja after watching that?

Regarding the kiai master, that's a situation where someone has received a tremendous amount of positive reinforcement without any kind of reality check. Given the vigor with which some here denounce any statistical feedback or scientific process for isolating what really works vs what is window dressing, I can't bring myself to be too hard on the guy. I mean, sure, it's partly his own hubris that brought him to that encounter. But it's also the martial arts community as a whole that fosters such things, in particular when it involves "self defense."

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I gotta' get the whole farting chi balls thing down. So much to do, so little time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that probably means the kiai master thought he was going to win. Ashida Kim knows he won't.
It meant he was willing to try though. I have to give either him respect for being willing to try it out, or his delusion respect for being so confident.

The $5,000 suggests the second.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It meant he was willing to try though. I have to give either him respect for being willing to try it out, or his delusion respect for being so confident.

The $5,000 suggests the second.

One of the problems though is that you have 'respectable' martial artists who are otherwise very good at what they do demonstrating 'no touch knock outs' which leads a lot of people to actually believe it's possible.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the problems though is that you have 'respectable' martial artists who are otherwise very good at what they do demonstrating 'no touch knock outs' which leads a lot of people to actually believe it's possible.

Hey, I've knocked out hundreds of people without hitting them, or even touching them.
I am a Master of Propofol-Fu...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've knocked out hundreds of people without hitting them, or even touching them.
I am a Master of Propofol-Fu...
In college, I didn't drink, so I had plenty of time during our fraternity parties to master Ethanol-Fu. I was scary good at it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
$10,000 Challenge

So I can seriously win 10 grand to beat this guy?
No, you pay him 10K plus lots of extras, as has been pointed out.

He's been a running joke for decades. Literally. I had a running joke on the old rec.martial-arts which combined the old Count Dante comic book ads and the Ashida Kim "challenge match" to <ahem> "sell" my fictitious "Telepathic Chi" VHS tapes.

I know a guy who once met Ashida Kim. The story about it is a riot.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps it's yet another moniker for Ashida Kim, himself.

Well if that is the case and he can see this forum. I am willing to accept a real challenge where we both meet at a designated place and have a sparring match. I am NOT willig to play your game of fronting you a large sum of money, pay for a venue and travel costs just so you can simply turn it down.

If you win you prove that you are more than an entertainer and are a very capable man of the martial arts. If you lose well big deal, I lose many matches myself and I LEARN from them. I look at what I could have done better and from there I can improve myself.

But if you deny everyone and never spar then you will never get better obviously. I am not saying you need to get better though, for all I know you could be as good as you claim to be, my point is, there is literally nothing to lose but 10 grand and for you that is more than likely but a single fur on a bears ***.

Hell you can even record it and put it on your website, kick my *** all over the ring and say hey look at this, I am capable. So drop this "Salad dressing" of a challenge and put up a REAL one.

You literally just do more damage to your reputation by ATTEMPTING to look brave and confident by issuing a FAKE challenge.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if that is the case and he can see this forum. I am willing to accept a real challenge where we both meet at a designated place and have a sparring match. I am NOT willig to play your game of fronting you a large sum of money, pay for a venue and travel costs just so you can simply turn it down.

If you win you prove that you are more than an entertainer and are a very capable man of the martial arts. If you lose well big deal, I lose many matches myself and I LEARN from them. I look at what I could have done better and from there I can improve myself.

But if you deny everyone and never spar then you will never get better obviously. I am not saying you need to get better though, for all I know you could be as good as you claim to be, my point is, there is literally nothing to lose but 10 grand and for you that is more than likely but a single fur on a bears ***.

Hell you can even record it and put it on your website, kick my *** all over the ring and say hey look at this, I am capable. So drop this "Salad dressing" of a challenge and put up a REAL one.

You literally just do more damage to your reputation by ATTEMPTING to look brave and confident by issuing a FAKE challenge.
Damn... you're on to me. :p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, user "Tames D" seems to be going around clicking "dislike" on a bunch of my posts. Someone I upset somehow?? :D

You probably liked or agreed with one of my posts at sometime, that'll do it. :D ( that was just banter btw)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I made it clear in your PM to me :)
Yes, you did (after I posted this, of course). You made it clear that you marked them dislike as a sort of "payback" for me disliking one of yours. Rather childish, actually, and not at all in keeping with the nature of the forum.

Latest Discussions