Dojo challenges, do they still happen?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gah...

These stories can sometimes be eerily similar to the Count Dante ones.

Sadly enough, I'm willing to bet that some of these such challenges will also result in the same fate that happened to Keegan's (Count Dante) friend.

Bottom line: If some blow hard comes to your dojo floor and issues a challenge, ask them to leave. If they refuse to leave, call the police. If they start attacking you, then you'd better defend yourself to the best of your ability, while someone else calls the police.

Once the blow hards start their attacks, it's criminal assault. As much as I hate to say this, many times, these blow hards could easily cause serious harm, or death, to you. This is no different than if you were attacked on the street. If it means having to resort to lethal means, then so be it.

M

Martialscientist

May be someone alread wrote it.
Have any one seen "Game of Death II "
basically young punks challanged masters all the time. Masters reserved the right to kill them, if they wanted to. Some did, some did not. If the punk won he would get a reputation, tittle and "respect"
Why people do it now, that's beyong me.

James Clifton

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I did it it was in the 60's.I wasn't a puck,cocky,yeah but it was NEVER...done in the manner some have posted!! Never walked in a school & showed DISRESPECT!! It was ...a diff. time!! Yeah there were sprains,blood & hurts....noone pulled weapons...no broken bones ...noone died!!
Jim

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Today's dojo and kwoon challenges, for good or for ill, take place on the Internet far more often than in person (if ever, physically -- though the posts here obviously indicate that it does happen in real life from time to time).

When I published my first self-defense book, a former instructor (whose school I'd already left) came after me, not in person, but online. The ensuing war of words promoted my book but did him no favors. The only good thing about this "virtual challenge matching" is that nobody gets hurt.

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's a thought... challenge them back to a kick-a-thon to raise money for a worthy cause.

Energy spent in a more positve manner. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've trained with a few different folks. Some braggards & some truly humble . Non of them had ever told "wars stories" of dojo wars....& I've asked. The closeest they came was at a kickboxing gym. We'd have neighborhood guys wanna spar to show how tough they were. They'd always pick on the 140 lbs. guy in the room. They didn't know he was an undefeated fighter w/ 50+ fights. They'd get a quick sparring lesson & a few became students.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My instructor loves to tell this story. About every 3 months or so, somone would come in off the street and say they wanted to kick his ***. Sensei Teter would point to my then 18 yr old wife and reply you have to get past her first. No one ever took him up on it. Don't really thing he would have let them though, but it did difuse the situation.

Jeff

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like Sensei Teter was a wise man. Plus who really knows, I've trained with a few 18 year old women who could hand me my behind without breaking a sweat.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bydand said:
Sounds like Sensei Teter was a wise man. Plus who really knows, I've trained with a few 18 year old women who could hand me my behind without breaking a sweat.

I have no doubt that she would have come out on top. Lord knows at 39, she can hand me my butt whenever she wants too!

Jeff

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Chuck Norris tells the story (In both autobiographies) of a guy who came into his school, & sat down with a cheesed-off look on his face. He figured this guy wanted to "test him out." Chuck walked over, smiling extended his hand & intoduced himself. The guy's look melted away & they had a nice talk. I think if folks who look for a fight, receive kindness, rather than the fight they look for, their anger will mellow a bit. I think a lot of folks who want to fight, change their mind when a fight doesn't come.

my 2 cents

Latest Discussions