Dojo challenges, do they still happen?

bushi jon

Green Belt
Reaction score
I get challenge by the same crack head (female) every tuesday around 6 to fight as she says it with nun-chuckas

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
Theres storys of a school here in town where the owner would go out
and get in bar fights and after him beats on the guy he give him a card and tells the guy if you want to learn to fight like me come to my school
i dont know if this is just a story but ive heard this from differnt people
That sounds dangerous and irresponsible. One day, that school owner will end up crippled, dead, or in jail for seriously hurting someone. I hope he was not some unfortunate child's father.

K

kenpochad

Flatlander said:
That sounds dangerous and irresponsible. One day, that school owner will end up crippled, dead, or in jail for seriously hurting someone. I hope he was not some unfortunate child's father.
very irresponsible at best!

he is lucky that he never ran in to some where they rather shoot you than play around .

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes they do still happen. There are two ways to challenge, disrespectfully or respectfully. Its always best to be on good terms with people if you plan to make freinds to crosstrain with. The best way to go about this is just to ask the main man if he minded if you did some hard sparring with some of his black belts. They can say yes or no. If the answer is no then say no problem sir, I was just wanting some new experience sparring against other styles and I heard your school had very good fighters, even if you didnt hear that, say it anyway.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Theyre stupid validations of "fantasy warriorism". Meet at an organized event if you feel the need to "prove" anything.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Theyre stupid validations of "fantasy warriorism". Meet at an organized event if you feel the need to "prove" anything.
Good point! I would say that meeting at an event and "proving" your mettle is much more respectful than entering another person's dojo during time allotted for teaching. Really, the principle applies to many different circumstances. Push your agenda on your own time; don't waste someone else's.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When my instructor first started teaching here, he taught at a Karate school. The guy who owns the school took classes from him, and in one of them he learned the armbar from the mount. he went home and showed his son (who is among other things, yondan in shito ryu karate) the move he had learned. the son escaped the technique (it was being applyed by someone new to GJJ). nevertheless, the son said GJJ didnt work and he kinda challenged my instrcutor. it wasnt like a fight or anything but they sparred for about 30 seconds until my instrcutor trapped a kick and caught him in a kneebar and tapped him. all the other guys that were there decided to learn GJJ after that, but the son still would not yield. oh well. same type of thing happened at the next school he taught at, only it was a taekwondo school. funny thing is, they said they had the standing advantage but the instructor also has black belts (or equivelant) in TKD and Muay Thai.;)

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel that challenging someone in front of thier students is not only disrespectful,but plain damn stupid!
I mean....if you make a challenge like that,are you sure YOU are gonna win?!
You may be prepared for the victory your arrogance is willing to "show" you....
But are you prepared for the HUMILITY(and the fact you just got your a$$ handed to you in front of everyone you were trying to impress) that comes along with the reality your arrogance is dying to hand you?
I started in the MA in the very early 70's...and yea,I have seen a challenge or two,,,,,,and some were funny as hell!

O

OC Kid

I remember the dojo wars of the 70's. It was insane kung fu schools would challenge the karate schools and visa versa..Once in Vancouver Canada they even broke out the weapons, 3 sectional staffs, nunchuks sais ect Now2 that was wild. But looking back on it now it was all about money..who was going to teach in that area...

Still happens occasionally but now B/B are more like Ronin going from dojo to dojo on sparring night to test their skill so to speak against others.

Then there the common know it all..Stops by the school as a visitor then starts interupting the class with questions and comments like..."Isnt that technique called a XXX or why wouldnt you do it this way its more effective...ect ect...
But those folks are usually underbelts in some sytem.

Used to have a school next to a tavern in a small logging town in washington...occasionally the loggers would get drunk and come over and start something..that got to be a little crazy to.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is not whether it is ir-responsible or not, or about whether you will get sued. In today's society if you beat the crap out of somebody, there is a great chance that they will return with a gun and shoot you. It is crazy that it has come to this, but that is where we are at.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Dojo challenges? Sounds kinda of childish! The person who makes the challenges needs to grow up. and if it is accepted that person needs to grow up too!

The art of martial arts is not to fight but develop ones self to be a better person, humble and awareness. We know what our art can do to someone who decides to cross that path.......endless.........Aloha

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
searcher said:
The problem is not whether it is ir-responsible or not, or about whether you will get sued. In today's society if you beat the crap out of somebody, there is a great chance that they will return with a gun and shoot you. It is crazy that it has come to this, but that is where we are at.
I've owned and operated a small dojang for three years and in that time, I received a challenge from a student of an established dojang in my area. I'm not sure what the motivation was, I wasn't promoting myself or poaching students or anything.

Anyway, the challenge came in the form of an unsolicited visit from the guy in his uniform. He bowed and challenged me on the spot. I declined and the guy persisted. I threatened to call the police and then he left.

The very next day, a kid at the school I was doing my student teaching, called me a coward to my face. This kid happened to be a black belt student from the school in question. I gave the kid a referral to the principal's office and visited him in detention that evening. Earlier, I pulled a flyer for a tournament hosted by this larger school off of the wall and wrote, "I'll be here" on the bottom. I told him that I was going to personally speak to his parents about the incident and then I gave him the flyer.

I entered the tournament a week later. The original person who had challenged me was in my division. We never fought each other. He lost his second match and I fought the final match with a guy from a totally different school and lost by a slim margin.

After this, I haven't had much trouble. Sure, the way I handled this situation wasn't the "macho" way, but I think it is the only responsible way to handle a "dojo" challenge. There is no liability this way. If a street punk came in and disrupted my class and wanted to fight, I would dismiss class and call the police. I won't even bother with that ********.

upnorthkyosa

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent post. That was absolutely the best way to handle the situation.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa, this is the best info I have heard on this post. You used your head and found a very honorable way to deal with the problem. My hat is off to you. A very excellent post.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
After this, I haven't had much trouble. Sure, the way I handled this situation wasn't the "macho" way, but I think it is the only responsible way to handle a "dojo" challenge. There is no liability this way. If a street punk came in and disrupted my class and wanted to fight, I would dismiss class and call the police. I won't even bother with that ********.

upnorthkyosa
:asian: Well done, sir.

- Ceicei

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interestingly, a week or so ago, a judo friend of mine asked me if I had ever heard about the time that someone had challenged the the man that had started the tae kwon do school I go to. Like I said, still no firsthand knowledge of the matter, but this was someone outside the organization who had no experience with my school whatsoever. His version, by the way, was even more extraordinary than mine, with the version he heard having the challenger's heart stopped and revived at the hospital.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just my thoughts. People who make's the challenges need to grow up!

There is no purpose or reward for this type of action.

Maturity is earn by practice of being in the right mind. By doing what is right!....Aloha

Latest Discussions