The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

J-kid

Well for now the idea behind training once a week is, I get good enough with stick fighting that if i ever needed to use a sick to fight. I would have a advantige over someone with no stick fighting training. When i said arts a i plan on mastering i mean threw my whole life.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"I would have a advantige over someone with no stick fighting training. "

Thats the key right there. Theres also nothing wrong with getting a broad exposure early on, working on 2 now, and later on once you've gotten some level of proficiency at those, expanding out and filling in the gaps you see.

I watched Rich and Ace go at it back in December.... was -very- interesting to see, especially when the stick started to go to pieces. :)

Both of em took me to my current limits when I spared with em.... next time Rich...try n work up a sweat, huh? :D

:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
"I would have a advantige over someone with no stick fighting training. "

Thats the key right there. Theres also nothing wrong with getting a broad exposure early on, working on 2 now, and later on once you've gotten some level of proficiency at those, expanding out and filling in the gaps you see.

I watched Rich and Ace go at it back in December.... was -very- interesting to see, especially when the stick started to go to pieces. :)

Both of em took me to my current limits when I spared with em.... next time Rich...try n work up a sweat, huh? :D

:asian:

Judo-Kid,

Your comments are worthy for your whole life to try and master multiple styles.

Kaith,

I will try to break a sweat next time. :D Maybe I will sweat more of the sticks become sabres????

Train Well

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador
No Sabres in Buffalo--they're bankrupt!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Arnisador,

I love hockey, any sport that has two blades a stick and allows fighting with only a 2 minute minor and a 10 minute major, has to be GREAT! :D

Just My Thoughts on that subject! ;)

OP
S

SRyuFighter

Good luck Judo Kid. However I have to agree with the point that the UFC and mastery are two very different things.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Arnisador,

I love hockey, any sport that has two blades a stick and allows fighting with only a 2 minute minor and a 10 minute major, has to be GREAT! :D

Just My Thoughts on that subject! ;)

And theres me playing Basketball!!! :rolleyes:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Oh god, here we go again..........:shrug:

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
I actually stopped reading about 8 or 10 pages ago or so.

Well theres another thing we have in common :asian:

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

This thread was originally about mastery. One of the components of mastery is following up on things. One of the the most important parts of honest discussion is being honest about your facts and truthful about your sources. I asked a question that checked the credibility of one Judo-kid's sources. He still hasn't delivered. He was supposed to give an answer on Thursday last week. He gave an excuse why he couldn't. He said he would do it this week. Well here we are with no answers yet.

Originally posted by cali_tkdbruin Right, enough is enough already...
Originally posted by Master of Blades Oh god, here we go again..........
Originally posted by jfarnsworth I actually stopped reading about 8 or 10 pages ago or so.

By excusing Judo-kid of the responsibility of backing up what he says, you do him a disservice. When I asked what style of Eskrima he was studying, he didn't know. When I asked him who his teacher's teacher was, he didn't know a fundamental fact about his lineage. Actually, he didn't even bother with a cogent response until I said I didn't believe him. How's he supposed to master anything, if he doesn't even know that those things are important?

All I'm doing is making somebody put their money where their mouth is. One of the problems today in the martial arts is that hooligans and fakes can pass off bs credentials and people buy it mainly because they don't ask questions like the ones I did. It brings down the MA's as a whole and causes people to pay money to charlatans to learn watered down mcdojo styles, making these types of deceptions profitable. It causes people to pay for someone to instill in them a false sense of security and a false sense of history.

I know you're tired of this thread. I am too. But the value of following up on this principle is more important than weariness over this discussion.

So Judo-kid, got any answers yet?

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by bart
Hey,

This thread was originally about mastery. One of the components of mastery is following up on things. One of the the most important parts of honest discussion is being honest about your facts and truthful about your sources. I asked a question that checked the credibility of one Judo-kid's sources. He still hasn't delivered. He was supposed to give an answer on Thursday last week. He gave an excuse why he couldn't. He said he would do it this week. Well here we are with no answers yet.

By excusing Judo-kid of the responsibility of backing up what he says, you do him a disservice. When I asked what style of Eskrima he was studying, he didn't know. When I asked him who his teacher's teacher was, he didn't know a fundamental fact about his lineage. Actually, he didn't even bother with a cogent response until I said I didn't believe him. How's he supposed to master anything, if he doesn't even know that those things are important?

All I'm doing is making somebody put their money where their mouth is. One of the problems today in the martial arts is that hooligans and fakes can pass off bs credentials and people buy it mainly because they don't ask questions like the ones I did. It brings down the MA's as a whole and causes people to pay money to charlatans to learn watered down mcdojo styles, making these types of deceptions profitable. It causes people to pay for someone to instill in them a false sense of security and a false sense of history.

I know you're tired of this thread. I am too. But the value of following up on this principle is more important than weariness over this discussion.

So Judo-kid, got any answers yet?

I understand all that.......But did we really have to waste 21 pages repeating ourselves when all it would take was one answer! :confused:

OP
J

J-kid

I keep forgetting to ask, I have been really busy and had tournments on my mind lately.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I dont have his Number

Someone please get him a number so we can get this over and done with! :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions