The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo-kid,

What all do YOU want me to ask him again

First of all, if YOU're going to study Eskrima from this guy, YOU should know the name of what YOU're studying, the lineage (who taught who for how long, etc), and where the style came from. So YOU should want to know these things not just because I'm calling a fact check, but because it is part of mastery.

Here are the questions:

1. What styles does your Eskrimador do?
2. How long in years (or months) has he trained in each style?
3. Who did your Eskrimador learn each style from?
4. Who is "the GM of Escrima" that your Eskrimador's teacher learned from?

I assume you'll be posting the answers to these questions Thursday night then? I look forward to seeing them.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid
I see him on Thursday , What all do you want me to ask him again.

How about "when are you coming down to Puyallup?"

:D:D:D:D:D

In all seriousness, finding out what an instructor's background is like is a big issue, IMHO. It is all too easy to find folks claiming all sorts of interesting titles, training and qualifications, but highly disappointing to learn the secrets behind those claims.

For instance, it is very common for military personnel to have martial arts backgrounds. It is equally common for those military personnel with martial arts backgrounds to possess some sort of instructor status in their arts. It is even more common for those same instructor level folks to teach at the gyms on military bases. Some of these same instructors then go about claiming they were the "chief instructor" for some military base. The sad truth is that most martial arts classes on military bases are very small, with an average of between 5 and 15 students (some classes have more, usually kids classes, and some have less, usually adult classes). These instructors who claim they were the "chief instructor" for such and such base were in fact nothing of the sort...

Background info is always a good thing.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
J

J-kid

Ill go in a month or so, Let me finish up somethings i am working on first.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You have my email address... If you have lost it, here it is again:

[email protected]

Open invite for anyone to come down and train with us. If you are coming to see what Yiliquan is all about, then expect to train like we train. If you want to compare and contrast, let me know so we can make arrangements for a time that won't keep the Yili students from learning Yili (not that we want to keep them from seeing other things, just that we want to get our training in, too...).

Gambarimasu.

OP
J

J-kid

Lol just a few seconds ago i sent you a message check you inbox on martial talk

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Hey Judo-kid,

Why do I get this feeling that you will never turn up to train with Yiliquan ?
No, I had thought you were serious about 'learning' something 'real'. Now It's begining to look like you're an average teenager after all, all mouth and no trousers.

And here I was thinking you would prove me wrong, but I guess my ability to see a persons 'real face' is as keen as it ever was.

There is still a chance to prove me wrong though, but I'm guessing you never will?

Mike.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Judo-kid's defense, the PM he sent me asked me to send him a message in a month's time. I assume he wants me to remind him about training...

Ultimately, though I can somewhat appreciate where that request came from, I am not going to do so. If Judo-kid wants to train with us, then he will remember to get in touch with us. Not vice versa.

I have been hounding the head of a jojutsu dojo for the past several months about training in his dojo up north. Finally set a date last night to go up, watch class, and essentially be "interviewed" for acceptance into training.

I'm not saying that Judo-kid has to jump through those kinds of hoops, but it isn't my place to be soliciting his attendance at our training... If he wants to come check us out, he will. If he forgets, then that is on him and shows how interested he was in the first place.

Whatever.

I am looking forward to seeing SMR Jo training up close and personal next week. Until then, I have a Pavel Tsatsouline seminar this weekend, as well as training with some of my seniors from out of town. That should keep me busy for a while...

Gambarimasu.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Nice of you to defend the lad, which tells me he's making an even bigger mistake by not making the effort to get to training with you. I'm of the opinion though that he should be making all the effort to learn and not 'expecting the teacher to wait' until it's convenient.

As for SMR Jodo. I have some very good friends who have been training in this for many years, and have been lucky enough to recieve some instruction from them from time to time.
If you don't have a copy already, you might like to get hold of a book called ; Jodo, the way of the stick. By Pascal Krieger sensei.
[isbn 2-9503214-0-2] He's one of the senior teachers in SMR Jodo and lives in Switzerland I believe.
The book not only deals with technique but the philosophy behind the training too. It's one of the best books on my shelf and I refer to it quit often for inspiration.

I hope your visit goes well, and as for jumping through hoops to get instruction, It's a pitty there isn't more of it about. I don't like this consumer driven approach to Martial Arts. Like the SMR people, I like to pick my students carefully.

Regards,
Mike.

OP
J

J-kid

WHAT IS JODO THE WAY OF THE STICK?
I have no idea what that is.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinto Muso-ryu Jojutsu/Jodo is the only original method of short staff fighting from old Japan. The style was created by Muso Gonnosuke (hence "Muso-ryu") after fighting, and being defeated by, Musashi Miyamoto.

Gambarimasu.

OP
J

J-kid

And i didnt have a ride to go there and didnt know.
Ill have to try again next weds/Thur

OP
J

J-kid

Yeah But after a wal and home training conbined you get good, Just learning some here and there at the moment, Alot of other training going on besides escrima, Grappling is my main and then striking then weapons. I train in order I train mostly for grappling then for striking then Weapons last.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, he might get to be better than our current self-appointed GM in Modern Arnis anyway :D

Nothing wrong with 1x a week for a secondary art to get some basics in.

JK, you'll never be able to go toe to toe with a real stick fighter with just 1x a week, however I don't see anything wrong if you are supplimenting your primary training with the stick work. Alot of the concepts do lend themselves to open hand work, especially the siniwalis.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid
Yeah But after a wal and home training conbined you get good, Just learning some here and there at the moment, Alot of other training going on besides escrima, Grappling is my main and then striking then weapons. I train in order I train mostly for grappling then for striking then Weapons last.

Judo-kid et al,

Since I occasionally go to the ground, but do not train those techniques, if I was to practice some take downs about once a week for about 45 mins. I would get pretty good and I could take you on the ground? Against an untrained fighter, I might be able to work the move. Against another part time person I might be able to get it also. Against a ground Pounder like ACE or others then if I pulled off something it would be more an issue of Luck. Being able to capitalize on their mistake the instant they make it.

So, since I do rolls every week, I guess this means I can master Judo or Aikido also? I understand your personal drive, and I say go for it. Study and learn everything. Make your dream come true. Just apply your knowledge and understanding of one art to the others you are studying. Look at the big picture.

Personally, as Kaith has said once a week would not help you against a stick fighter. Yet, doing locks only once a week would not help you against someone who does Judo sevens days a week.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Rich Parsons

Personally, as Kaith has said once a week would not help you against a stick fighter. Yet, doing locks only once a week would not help you against someone who does Judo sevens days a week.

I have to completly agree, I've been doing Kali for about 4 years and I still have trouble against my friend whos been doing it 5 times a week for 2 years :asian:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions