The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by bart
Balintawak is not stick-only.

I've heard different opinions on this, but never that it has espada y daga. People usually say either that it's all stick or that it's mostly stick but you can translate it to empty hand (which in fact Ted Buot demonstrated on me once). My arnis instructor studies under Mr. Buot and informs me that Balintawak is stick-only; other Balintawak lineages may interpret it differently, but the original club at least was very much a stick-fencing affair.

This might be better discussed in FMA-General!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone, please, stop arguing about whether or not you're arguing and address the topic of the thread.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
J

J-kid

I dont know what to do Laugh Cry Or be mad. lol:D :wah: :mad:

Where to start.....

Alot of time you dont have a choice when you are being taken to ground as you will find out if any of you chose to do any grappling.

Also I am trying to become a well rounded fighter and that means i need weapons training as well.

We all have are diffrent reason for training in martial arts.

For me its like this.

Its fun.
Its hard work yet pays off.
I like to be the tuffist guy on the block (we all do):cool:
It brings in the money and the ladies (i think)
also i love UFC and Mixed Martial arts all together.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I dont know what to do Laugh Cry Or be mad. lol:D :wah: :mad:

Where to start.....

Alot of time you dont have a choice when you are being taken to ground as you will find out if any of you chose to do any grappling.

Also I am trying to become a well rounded fighter and that means i need weapons training as well.

We all have are diffrent reason for training in martial arts.

For me its like this.

Its fun.
Its hard work yet pays off.
I like to be the tuffist guy on the block (we all do):cool:
It brings in the money and the ladies (i think)
also i love UFC and Mixed Martial arts all together.
I could understand every one of them except the 4th one.

There is never a lot of money in MA or championship fighting unless you are a legend and still, it doesn't have the job security of other jobs and can end at any moment. The money also doesn't come from fighting but from sponsers.

And fighting gets you ladies who just got out of their boy-band state. The "rebel, wild-man state". After that, women go for security as in money than a wild, adventureman.

The third one. Everyone has gone through that stage. But it doesn't matter if you're the toughest guy on the block or not. What are you going to do, challenge everyone?

Toughness is not a matter of what you think you are and what you think you can do. The toughest people I've met are the ones that don't talk. Either a cold stare or a smile...

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey There,

arnisador wrote...but never that it has espada y daga

You're right. I was thinking of a post I read by Rocky in the eskrima digest, but that's the only time I've heard about Balintawak and espada y daga and it was concerning only his style of Balintawak. But my memory may be off. He posted on another topic, I'll ask him there.

arnisador wrote...usually say either that it's all stick or that it's mostly stick but you can translate it to empty hand

Basically what I meant to say was that empty hand is included in their curriculum and that they are proud of it. GM Bacon was supposed to be pretty tough with his hands. By being a stick-only system, I think they mean to say that they don't actively practice sword techniques or think of their stick as a substitute for a sword. I appreciate that part of the Balintawak philosophy myself.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid

Just one thing to say... UFC 1 or 2? That Smith guy gets an attempted tackle by the RBWI guy from Texas... Smith then proceeds to elbowing the dog snot out of the RBWI guy's head... I think I counted 13 elbows to the head before he went down (although he was out of it by elbow #3 - tough or stupid? you decide...), then another 3 when they fell together... Smith didn't have, if I remember correctly, any grappling training at that point, just TKD and MT...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
J

J-kid

sorry trying to think back to what fight that was.

Is that the one where the guy is pinned down and he starts elbowing the guy in the face.

Cause that is all that comes to mind.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep. The RBWI guy tries to tackle the TKD/MT guy, but fails. The TKD/MT guy begins elbowing the RBWI guy repeatedly, and the RBWI guy is too stupid or dazed to think about doing something other than hang on the TKD/MT guy's waist as a hip-high punching dummy.

They fall (because the RBWI guy went dead weight due to repeated pounding, not because of technique), and got 3 more elbows for his trouble...

OP
J

J-kid

I do rember this fight, but i rember a better one its where royce gracie wins the championship (lol sorry couldnt help my self)

But seriously the guy looked like he was going for a plan wrestling pin.

I dont think his training for submission or conbative grappling.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1 .... Smith then proceeds to elbowing the dog snot out of the RBWI guy's head.... Smith didn't have, if I remember correctly, any grappling training at that point, just TKD and MT...

In close range, MT elbows rule.

OP
J

J-kid

They werent standing the guy had his legs wraped around one arm and the other arm traped . Then he started raining elbows.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador,

I was thinking of a post I read by Rocky in the eskrima digest, but that's the only time I've heard about Balintawak and espada y daga and it was concerning only his style of Balintawak. But my memory may be off. He posted on another topic, I'll ask him there.

Rocky's Balintawak is aligned with yours through Mr. Buot. Rocky doesn't teach espada y daga in the Balintawak. The error was indeed on my part.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=75989#post75989

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Just one thing to say... UFC 1 or 2? That Smith guy gets an attempted tackle by the RBWI guy from Texas... Smith then proceeds to elbowing the dog snot out of the RBWI guy's head... I think I counted 13 elbows to the head before he went down (although he was out of it by elbow #3 - tough or stupid? you decide...), then another 3 when they fell together... Smith didn't have, if I remember correctly, any grappling training at that point, just TKD and MT...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:
http://www.hwarangdo.com/videoclips.htm - takedown set

Very similiar to the grappling taught in TKD

OP
M

MartialArtist

The clips make it look like a mixture of escrima, hapkido, capioera, TKD, catch-as-can wrestling, Mongolian combat wrestling, judo, some wing chun, and boxing.

There is a lot of dancing, the demonstration, and the sport style of the Korean martial art viewed, but you can at least get an idea of what the combat one looks like. Sort of.

Oh yeah, reminder, the first two clips are exaggerations made by an American station, like the US. "Chi helped him stop bleeding" is just a twisted definition of the word.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I think we should all wish judo-kid luck on his goals of being in the UFC while also learning some side items that can help him in real life. We should promote him. Not saying, oh, escrima will not let you be able to focus all your time and energy on UFC ring fighting.

Back on subject, if I really wanted to master one art even though it's pretty much impossible, it would have to be taijiquan. Not the New Age yoga stuff for people with arthritis or the people who eat only soy, but I think the principles (which will be hypothetically mastered) can apply in everyday life, not just fighting.

OP
J

J-kid

I see him on Thursday , What all do you want me to ask him again.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think what his lineage is would probably answer most folks questions. That and the name of the particular styles.

Did I miss anything guys? :asian:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions