The Arts i plan on mastering / What is Mastering really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
If I was closer to Washington, I'd stop in to at least watch.

Here's the deal... Anybody here on Martial Talk that finds themselves in the Seattle/Tacoma/Fort Lewis/McChord AFB area has an open invite to come and train with us... Email me, let me know you are coming, and we will be sure to do our best to put on a good show... And who knows, maybe we can learn something new from the exchange!

Judo-kid:

Bring your sticks! I did Modern Arnis in Japan, and Pekiti Tirsia (for a very short time) years ago... Maybe you can show me the Escrima you are learning and together we can better report to those who ask what it is you are doing...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

As for RyuShiKan's comments about my military service... I was never in an Airborne unit, though I did go to the school (for what little that is worth). I am a former Infantryman :2pistols:, former Cavalry Scout (and Scout Drill Sergeant) :snipe:, but due to career choices and Army caused injuries (gotta love herniated discs!!!), I now ride a desk with the Army JAG Corps. Yee Ha!

Sorry my mistake, I thought you went through the school and were asigned to an Airborne unit.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I did some sniper time briefly at the end of my tour in Korea as a grunt, and then some more when I was a scout. Spent most of my time as a scout humping the hog (my baby!!!), a task I relished more than anything else! Other guys can have their girlfriends, trucks, dogs and fishing poles - just gimme mah hawg!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

:biggun: :biggun: :biggun:

Lucky for me and my knees, however, I only ever got my "5 jump chump" qualification.

No worries!

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
... Other guys can have their girlfriends, trucks, dogs and fishing poles - just gimme mah hawg!!! DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA

I am partial to the MK19 myself........what a sound!

OP
J

J-kid

I am not that great at escrima yet but will be soon. Ill trade you some moves when i go. Hey why cant we do some real light sparring its fun if anything and i can see how your style works in conbat.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not that great at escrima yet but will be soon

What style(s) does your Eskrimador do?
How long in years (or months) has he trained in each style?
Who did he learn from?

Those are pretty simple questions. Now I'm curious about why you don't want to answer.

Hey why cant we do some real light sparring its fun if anything and i can see how your style works in conbat.

Yiliquan1 pointed out a couple reasons already, but another one would be that if you're 16 years old, if you got hurt he would be in some serious criminal trouble and your parents could then sue him for some serious money. That's the way it works with minors.

Another thing is that light sparring is not combat. It's a game with rules. Some things can be tested, but it's not combat.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr Stone is JAG. He knows how to cover his a$$.

JK may need to bring a written permission from his parents. He can't sign any waiver himself.

OP
J

J-kid

Ill sign a waiver and have my parents sign it i dont care.
ill answer your questions tommorrow, I am tired.

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Hey JK,
Well, I can only say you're a lucky son of a gun to recieve an invitation from a martial artist who's only agenda is to lift you onto his shoulders and let you see further than you could on your own. I hope you have the presence of mind and good manners to thank him for his gift.

I admire your pluck kid, but, if you wouldn't mind taking a bit of advice from a former 16 year old who ALSO thought he was a lean, mean, fighting machine [but this was back in 1971], curb the attitude and show some respect. If nothing else it will open doors that will otherwise stay closed.

Your not the first, or the last, or maybe even the best[?] teenager to train in the martial arts. Your walking a well worn path that millions of people your age have walked before.
The thing is, you've only just started walking so to you every view is a new one.

I'm looking forward to your report on your visit. I couldn't care less about your spelling or grammer, just tell it as it was.

Mike.

OP
C

chufeng

Light sparring???
What is that?

The drills we train are full tilt boogie...if I ask you to attack me, you had better do it with the intent to actually hit me with full power...if I don't move and you pull your punch, you are cheating me...

The "defender" is required to "go easy" on the attacker, however, because the defender has the upper hand (at least in our system)...

Likewise, if I attack you, you'd better DO something to deal with the attack or you will get thumped...for beginners, such as yourself, we attck long and in straight lines to give you plenty of time to get out of the way.

If we spar (rarely) it is with the intent to use techniques derived from our forms...NO PATTY CAKE...and usually ends up being as short as our one-step or three-step drills anyways.

maybe I'll see you one of these Saturdays.

chufeng

OP
A

Angus

Sounds great Yiliquan! What's the SMR Jo dojo, though? I've seen everyplace within the next couple cities, but never even heard of that. What is SMR Jo?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Judo-kid
I am not that great at escrima yet but will be soon. Ill trade you some moves when i go. Hey why cant we do some real light sparring its fun if anything and i can see how your style works in conbat.

The only way to see how it works in "combat" is for you to attack me with the genuine intent to hurt me... If you don't really mean it, I won't be inclined to do much about it, and given my size and shapely figure (I'm just a chubby, out of shape grey hair anyway...), even a solid hit won't cause me much nevermind... So, you would walk away thinking little of Yili because your patty-cake attack landed - meaning only that I had no real motivation to defend myself since there was really nothing to defend against besides a light strike that I could have easily "sucked up."

Believe me, we will show you what the real thing looks like. Not going to pound you, nor am I going to just let you watch. You will get to see, feel and apply...

And just for clarification's sake, Chufeng is the senior instructor. It is his training group, not mine (which is why I always say "our" rather than "my").

Angus -

SMR Jo is shorthand for Shinto Muso-ryu Jojutsu, the original Japanese style of fighting with the 4 shaku length staff. I can tell you more about it offline (email me). We can also talk about what you know of the schools up north.

Gambarimasu.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo-Kid you are being offered a chance to train and practice with people who have knowledge and are willing to share it with you. They have explained that they "play" hard. I truely hope that if you do go up to visit these folks that you come back with a better understanding of who and what they are and what their art is about.
If you go enjoy the trainning for you are being give an oppertunity to make friends and learn . Young people in the arts do not offten get open invatations to practice with respected and knowledgeable people outside of their own school. You are being offered a golden oppertunity .
Shadow

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't know so much about "respected..."

The Northwest Yiliquan Association members are an eclectic and diverse group to say the least. We are joined together by a simple appreciation of good, old fashioned pain, dealt out via solid, simple, easy to learn (though hard to "master") basics...

I stated in another thread my frustration with MMAists and their beratement of traditional arts. There are a few MMAists that acknowledge and respect their traditional roots, and though they have moved "beyond" traditional arts, they recognize both the legitimacy of their roots as well as the effect their roots had on their development.

My only gripe with Judo-kid, if you could even call it that, is that many of his comments sound exactly like mine did when I was his age - based not on my own experiences, but on the comments made to me by people I respected. After all, if you respect your father, you will give weight to the comments he makes when he shares opinions with you, even if those opinions are about things we have no direct knowledge of. So I want Judo-kid to make a judgement based not on someone's vindictive desire to educate him, but rather on an objective demonstration of technique.

Traditional styles survive because they have something to offer. Styles that do not survive not only have little to offer, but they also have little in the way of keeping them alive... JKD has shattered into dozens of "camps," and has effectively become a hodge-podge of different JKD "styles." Did Brucie have that in mind? I doubt it. Will JKD survive? To survive, it would first have to be identified, and with the volume of JKD variations, what
is JKD anymore anyway? So go "non-traditional" styles, unfortunately, unless they become - wait for it - traditional by adopting some methods of communicating their lessons over time... Like forms, stylized drills, etc.

I am looking forward to meeting Judo-kid. While his writing style leaves a bit to be desired, he sounds like a smart kid with a strong desire to learn. Good things, if you ask me, for a real martial artist to have.

Judo-kid -

This weekend is open. Next weekend I am attending a Pavel Tsatsouline seminar series in Seattle. After that, we will have to go week by week. Let me know when you want to come down.

Gambarimasu.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Washington, huh? Where exactly in Washington, I'm not familiar with that community.

However, I did reside in SW Washington, in Vancouver near Portland.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by tshadowchaser
Judo-Kid you are being offered a chance to train and practice with people who have knowledge and are willing to share it with you. They have explained that they "play" hard. I truely hope that if you do go up to visit these folks that you come back with a better understanding of who and what they are and what their art is about.
If you go enjoy the trainning for you are being give an oppertunity to make friends and learn . Young people in the arts do not offten get open invatations to practice with respected and knowledgeable people outside of their own school. You are being offered a golden oppertunity .
Shadow
I agree judo-kid, take the invitation. You will become better with any type of training and it would be nice for anyone to see what others are about whether it be for combat or fun.

bart

Brown Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo-kid posted on 01-09-2003

ill answer your questions tommorrow, I am tired.

I'm thinking this guy doesn't exist and I'm calling your bluff. The worst thing you can do to ruin credibility is to lie about the facts that back up your argument. The point of discussions like ours is in this forum is not to "win", but rather to share truths. It doesn't take much to answer the questions I asked. When it comes to getting training from people and having them educate you in what they know, doors will close from actions that show poor character. Back up what you say if it's true. If it's not, then change your behavior so that you don't become the type of guy that lies about his skill and training. I asked these questions 7 days ago and even though you've posted several times since, the answers to back up your facts haven't been in any of them.

Martial arts and their mastery are very much about discovering truth. My advice to you is to start from within. If you lie once, everything you say afterwards is suspect. If you admit it, then credibility can be rebuilt.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by bart
I'm thinking this guy doesn't exist and I'm calling your bluff. The worst thing you can do to ruin credibility is to lie about the facts that back up your argument. The point of discussions like ours is in this forum is not to "win", but rather to share truths. It doesn't take much to answer the questions I asked. When it comes to getting training from people and having them educate you in what they know, doors will close from actions that show poor character. Back up what you say if it's true. If it's not, then change your behavior so that you don't become the type of guy that lies about his skill and training. I asked these questions 7 days ago and even though you've posted several times since, the answers to back up your facts haven't been in any of them.

Martial arts and their mastery are very much about discovering truth. My advice to you is to start from within. If you lie once, everything you say afterwards is suspect. If you admit it, then credibility can be rebuilt.
I don't think judo-kid lied about anything.

But I do believe that he, like us, have a lot to learn about MA. He's concerned on styles but wisdom and experience will change it and the ability to swallow your pride.

OP
J

J-kid

I am learning esrima once a week for a hour or so at my gym.
A guy by the name of (BLANK) -I didnt get his permission to put his name online so sorry. But he has trained in 4 styles of escrima and had his own TKD/ESRIMA school for years. He stopped his school went into body building now he shares his skills with me once a week. He learned from a man that learned right from the GM of Escrima he has been doing it for over 20 years and is really good he wants to spawnsor the GM to are school from somewhere in the MW america i think. Like i said befor i am a newbie at Escrima but i pick stuff up pritty fast.
I forgot to get all the details about what styles he knows etc but i will for you if you want.

OP
J

J-kid

Also only reason i didnt post about this sooner is because i forgot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions