Teen Video Taped Beating

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish we could find a way to fix them instead. I'm concerned about how much of this I'm seeing, and I know it's only going to get worse and worse. There's another video over on KT of a couple of kids dueling on a basketball court. It's clearly premeditated and staged, and one gets knocked out. I saw another of a young girl beaten at a train station. It just goes on and on. Part of it is because cameras are so much more prevalent now. We're just seeing more than we could before. But I can't help but feel that things are worse now too. I was pretty sheltered as a kid. My parents are still married, we were lower middle class but mostly lived in safe neighborhoods. I just didn't see a lot of violence as a young person. I know it was going on else where, but growing up it seemed some fisticuffs in the school lunchroom and a bloody nose was a big deal. Now I see kids beating and raping each other, young kids? These are fifteen and sixteen and seventeen year olds. I know hormones play a part and we all do stupid things when we were young, but this kind of violence just makes me sad. The kid's own dad turned him in. And he sounded as dumb founded as I feel. I teach violence. I understand violence. But why are these kids hurting each other? I was a bully sometimes. I get that. I committed little crimes for no good reason. That's part of learning how to behave in a society. You're learning boundaries. But this goes so much further than that. Who's letting these kids down, that it comes to this? Where are they not learning love?

I don't want them to go to prison and be beaten and raped. I don't see that as a viable long term solution. I don't know what is. I wish someone had enrolled these kids in karate classes when they were younger. Maybe if someone had taught them a skill, and spoken to them about discipline and commitment and self worth, and educated them to the realities of violence they'd have made different decisions. I bet there aren't a lot of ATA kids doing this kind of thing. I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everyone did everything they could. Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy. Maybe I just don't get kids these days.

-Rob

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, I cant speak for everywhere, but I can speak for many places.

The way I see it, People used to grow up scrapping and brawling. It wasnt unusual. Vilifying it is a Modern thing.
That being said, the Problem is that alot of Adolescents are under alot of Pressure, and have little in the way of an Outlet. And so they take it out on each other, either by fighting, or bullying. The solution?
...Good luck with that.
The short term solution? Discipline. Except that most Discipline is considered to be abuse these days.
The next short term solution? Educa... The Education System causes most of their Stress. Never mind. Let alone Peer Pressure.

So what IS a Short Term Solution?
None. Theyre too old at this point.
However, for those kids who arent in their Adolescent Years yet, much like what thesemindz said, Karate Classes. Good Idea.
Plus, in giving them an Outlet of Violence, Theyre less likely to channel it into Senseless Violence.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there're many programs/sport activities for kids. The issue is getting them to participate in them. I have to wonder what kind of home life these kids have. IMO, its the parents job to teach their kids right from wrong, and obviously in this case, someone failed. Peer pressure...this is nothing new. Its been around for years. Its a shame that some kids give in to it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure there're many programs/sport activities for kids. The issue is getting them to participate in them. I have to wonder what kind of home life these kids have. IMO, its the parents job to teach their kids right from wrong, and obviously in this case, someone failed. Peer pressure...this is nothing new. Its been around for years. Its a shame that some kids give in to it.

It seems to me that parents who give a damn are fast becoming the minority.

You go from one extreme to another:
One mother lets her teenage kid walk in the rain the I don't know how many miles from his job to the house, basically picking him up at the base of the drive way.
The kid's comment "my mom loves everybody except me' about broke my heart!

Another leaves a 14 year old girl to find her own ride home - at 10 PM on a Friday night, because she is asleep then...there are really better ways to get rid of unwanted kids.
Both kids are delightful - at least to strangers.

Too many kids are left to the devices to be babysat: TV, video games or youtube. And you can pull a lot of crap up on a lone afternoon....

As a society we have evolved into a non-violent bunch of wimps:
You are not allowed to be loud, no real unstructured playtime in school anymore (AKA recess) too many things are now on the index, because you could get hurt.

However, the human animal does not seem to be built like this. It does not function well in polite society.

heck, it is even frown upon in many parts of society to eat meat...let alone raise the animal and kill it...
Rainbows and butterflies.

Education as it is now, I don't see it helping any.

Latest Discussions