nanny cam beating

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

An arrest has been made:

http://cliffviewpilot.com/ex-con-suspect-in-millburn-nannycam-beating-arrested-in-manhattan/

The warrant charges Custis — a career criminal who uses the aliases “Shawn Custic, “Shawn Custie” and “Shawn Hustis” — with first-degree attempted murder, robbery, burglary and two counts of child endangerment.

Records show at least 12 felony convictions on a criminal record that dates back nearly 20 years.

Dude is fresh out of lock-up (December of 2012) from a 22 month burglary bid. This guy should never see the light of day again.

What I find sad is how many people wouldn't even care about a story like this without the video. In my cynical opinion...if this hadn't been recorded this guy would likely just get another couple of years on a plea deal and would be right back out doing this again.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect many of us are so distanced from true violence in our own lives that without the video we would have trouble comprehending the true nature of that man's brutality.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect many of us are so distanced from true violence in our own lives that without the video we would have trouble comprehending the true nature of that man's brutality.

I know I lead a sheltered life, but I am sure most of my friends do, too...
It's not the violence in our lives, but the constant bombardment with graphic visuals that make us numb IMHO.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree that the video-tide of violence does lead to a general numbing of sensibilities, aye. So too does our not encountering violence very often in our own lives in the main. In all my adult life I've been in one fight and seen a handful of others (not counting man-strutting-chest-out scuffles there). I've been in the line of fire once when someone was shooting at someone else and had a shotgun stuck up my nose when I walked through the wrong door in a biker pub once. That is it, as far as I recall, the sum total of the violence I have personally encountered outside of the dojo.

What you have never experienced you cannot really fully comprehend and I think that is part of what makes it so difficult to be appropriately reactive when violence is merely described.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think video offers a level of proof that text and voice do not have. It moves the Pollyannas from their "can't happen here" stance.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

An arrest has been made:

http://cliffviewpilot.com/ex-con-suspect-in-millburn-nannycam-beating-arrested-in-manhattan/

Dude is fresh out of lock-up (December of 2012) from a 22 month burglary bid. This guy should never see the light of day again.

What I find sad is how many people wouldn't even care about a story like this without the video. In my cynical opinion...if this hadn't been recorded this guy would likely just get another couple of years on a plea deal and would be right back out doing this again.

If this hadn't been recorded, I don't think he would have been caught. Was there other means that law enforcement used to ID him as the suspect?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions