Darn Cops

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No words to express my sadness. Prayers and thanks to the officers and their families - those that serve, continue to serve or ever have served.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How awful. Attacking police bc they're police is an assault on the very system--on the notion of a civilized society.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a plausible way to have more of a conversation about these matters in our own communities?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How awful. Attacking police bc they're police is an assault on the very system--on the notion of a civilized society.

I agree the assaults on the officers are horrible and everything against a civilized society. Two wrongs do not make a right.

Good post. Being a cop is a job, and just as in any job there are people who are good at it and people who are bad at it. But the stakes are pretty high in your chosen profession.

As with most issues like this, I agree that there are failures on all sides of the situation. It's complicated, and because it's complicated, figuring out what the "right" thing to do becomes difficult. There are a lot of people, I believe, who want to do the "right" thing, but because the issue is so emotional and so complex, and because there is so little trust, even good intentions appear to be misguided.

It is complicated. I just know if the Police in general would admit that that yes that situation over there was bad. It should not have happened (** once the data and details are know *). This goes a long way to show that officers do not want the bad officers within their brotherhood.

Is there a plausible way to have more of a conversation about these matters in our own communities?

It is difficult. One of the local officers who was known for some of the worst beatings of teenagers and adults over 18. He is now Chief.
He still supports the his officers making stops for driving non white and for being young. It is hard to go to the local sheriff department with this as they do not want to get involved. The local FBI say talk to a DA and press chargers. So, you have to go and get your own data, and proof. Which is not for everyone as they may not have the time to follow around specific officers and or may not want to get beat up again just to make a point, especially when the officers claim you hit them and was resisting arrest.

If another department would investigate and send in undercover officers similar to the OP here mentioned to see what these other officers are doing then departments could be cleaned up.

That being said, stalking and shooting / assassinating an officer is not the right course of action. It. Is. Not.

Latest Discussions