Tai Chi Combat Self Defense

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kudos to you for taking the initiative. Which one are you in the video? Is your taiji form usually done at that speed?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kudos to you for taking the initiative. Which one are you in the video? Is your taiji form usually done at that speed?
I'm the only Chinese there.

For Chang style Taiji, that's the normal speed. Each move should be either 1 inhale, or 1 exhale. After my 4 miles running, I'll do my Taiji form much faster than that.

Last edited:

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok if chenAn, mograph and xue sheng would share short clips of their forms (min 30 seconds), I will share mine as well and you will get to see my infamous limp noodle arms in action.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok if chenAn, mograph and xue sheng would share short clips of their forms (min 30 seconds), I will share mine as well and you will get to see my infamous limp noodle arms in action.

Oh man I need to make new one! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The author of this video thinks taichi is not effective as a martial art. See 5:25.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Given that so few groups practice taijiquan as a martial art, rarely use it in fighting competitions, and if they do, it's not recognizable as taijiquan ... videos like this are understandable.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

This will not make me friends and likely make me a target but...

Sorry, no, I do not video myself and put it on YouTube, nor does my Shifu. I lost a good Sanda Shifu by simply talking about it on MT, I will not lose my Taiji shifu by posting videos. There are videos of his teacher out there, of his teacher oldest son (and friend of my shifu) and of his teachers Grandsons, that is as close as I can get you to it. The videos of my teacher's teacher (my shigong) teacher and his teachers oldest son were put there by my Shigong's grandchildren and possibly great grand children.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Given that so few groups practice taijiquan as a martial art, rarely use it in fighting competitions, and if they do, it's not recognizable as taijiquan ... videos like this are understandable.

Taiji trained and done properly as a martial art is rare these days. There is a lot of "Combat Tai Chi" that is a taiji form done with the intent of an different (usually hard) style

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I will make a short video soon. Itā€™s not a big deal. Iā€™m not a master and have nothing to loose lol

As far as people who donā€™t want to make video. I understand personal reasons, anxiety and etc, but if itā€™s related to secrecy it no longer make sense . Taiji is dead anyway. We have a slight chance to pass to the new generations, but there are so many washed out, misinterpreted versions out there that even if we wanted preserve it we may never will.

Even when we have dedicated student followers there is no guarantee they will able to learnt to required extent .

Having studying with famous teacher absolutely doesnā€™t guarantee a success - itā€™s just a chance. What makes your gong fu is you, not your teacher.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
And quick and dirty vid. This just a small part of xinjia erlu in casual training format.

If you noticed samurai facial expression during ę¬ę‹¦č‚˜ (elbow block) itā€™s my right shoulder that bothers me a bit after injury. Will eradicate it soon

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but if itā€™s related to secrecy it no longer make sense.
My teacher always said, "I will ask 3 questions. If anybody can answer those 3 questions, I'll pay that person $10,000."

Those 3 questions are (those are the exactly words that he used):

1. What's trapping hand, cover hand, pulling hand?
2. What's body tie?
3. What's 3 sections control?

When China published a Chinese wrestling book, answers for all these 3 questions can be found in that book.

IMO, if my teacher could write a book to include those information, people will give him credit for it. Now he had passed away and he had lose that chance forever.

My senior SC brother C. K. Lin passed away last Christmas. But his MA will be remembered because he was willing to share. As far as I know, he was the 1st person who created a video that show both form and application at the same time.

Last edited:

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
He did haha, at part 1 of the series, see 7:40.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
So Zeny your turn ;)

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And quick and dirty vid. This just a small part of xinjia erlu in casual training format.

If you noticed samurai facial expression during ę¬ę‹¦č‚˜ (elbow block) itā€™s my right shoulder that bothers me a bit after injury. Will eradicate it soon

Wow nice. Any chance to see your yilu?

Latest Discussions