I Liq Chuan?

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Compiling a list of MA schools to visit next I stumbled across this that teaches I Liq Chuan.

Never heard of it. Anyone have any comments or experience? Thanks!

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just watched this very interesting video interview of grandmaster Sam Chin.

He talks about controlling a person’s feet and balance through touch which is similar to something that I do in taiji (najin).

His strong bridge looks impressive. I have pushed hands with an ILQ instructor of 20 years and his bridge was so superhumanly strong. My shoulders and arms were so sore and I couldn’t even lift them the next day.

Definitely a very interesting and powerful art.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just watched this very interesting video interview of grandmaster Sam Chin.

He talks about controlling a person’s feet and balance through touch which is similar to something that I do in taiji (najin).

His strong bridge looks impressive. I have pushed hands with an ILQ instructor of 20 years and his bridge was so superhumanly strong. My shoulders and arms were so sore and I couldn’t even lift them the next day.

Definitely a very interesting and powerful art.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve read that Sam’s father created I Liq Chuan from a blend of Taji Chuan and Bagua and maybe a couple other CMA’s. So it’s sort of a modern CMA

I talked to the teacher in Philly and he was a Taiji and Hsing I practitioner for years and in the last 4-5 years he practices and teaches ILQ only. He said when he discovered ILQ he stopped practicing the others.

I was curious about striking in ILQ. From watching some videos of GM Chin with applying ILQ with striking in sparring with honestly looks ‘weird’.

Last edited:
OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
From watching videos of the Russian and Norway seminars seems like they integrate striking and such more. And light sparring with punches and how to apply ILQ with incoming punches. They were also teaching the proper mechanics to strike. The USA videos I don’t much striking and kicking but spinning / push hands emphasis. One video GM Sam in Norway mentioned he doesn’t want to stay sticky to an opponent he wants to be able to strike or kick.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don’t think ILQ has any root in taiji. It is based on hakka and southern chinese martial arts.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here’s a ILQ sparring video.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here’s another video on ILQ applications.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is indeed modern fusion/ creation. For whatever it worth the backstory is not verifiable, but hey as long people dig it why not?

P.S. My wife and hundredth of my relatives are haka. Lol No one ever heard anything that goes with illiquan story. But than again anything is possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is indeed modern fusion/ creation. For whatever it worth the backstory is not verifiable, but hey as long people dig it why not?

P.S. My wife and hundredth of my relatives are haka. Lol No one ever heard anything that goes with illiquan story. But than again anything is possible

It’s said that’s it’s a family art. There are videos of a grandmaster Chin Lik Keong.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
It’s said that’s it’s a family art. There are videos of a grandmaster Chin Lik Keong.

Is there a link for these ? While ago I watched a channel of his Russian student and don’t think it was posted there.

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there a link for these ? While ago I watched a channel of his Russian student and don’t think it was posted there.

Here’s a couple.

ChenAn

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I have never seen those

OP
M

macher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, I have never seen those

You said it’s not verifiable. Is it possible this art was practiced / taught as a family art but they just didn’t have a name for it.

Latest Discussions